MK2 Turbo vs MK3 Turbo

Started by philster_d, July 25, 2005, 11:51

philster_d

Has anyone got experience of driving both ?

Care to share some comparisons and observations.

Im hearing fast times and high power to weight from the preliminary results and figures people are releasing for the MK3s. What's it like to swap from one to the other.

I forgot to get a ride in a MK3 turbo at the weekend *doh!

Thanks,
Phil

Chris

SteveJ, BenF or JapGT300 all have as far as i know.  I came straight into the mr2 scene at the mk3 (as a few others on here no doubt) so have never driven any others as yet unfortuntely, but have been in paul ports blue mk2 turbo and that is quick..
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "philster_d"Has anyone got experience of driving both ?

Yeah, stock US Mk2 turbo and Mk2 with the JDM 245hp engine and slightly upped boost (should be around 300hp). Mk3 with Top Secret kit at 5psi and 10psi (the latter at ~250whp).

QuoteCare to share some comparisons and observations.

JMHO, but the Mk2 feels a bit big and heavy compared to Mk3 (no wonder I suppose, cause it is). The clock doesn't show big differences, but somehow the Mk3 feels more fun, maybe it's just me. And obviously Mk3 with 300hp is a lot faster from 0 to anything than Mk2 with 300hp, because of the weight. In the end, they are both very similar, if compared against "the other cars".

And before any war breaks out, I'd like to say that both cars are great, I just prefer Mk3 myself  s;) ;) s;)

QuoteI'm hearing fast times and high power to weight from the preliminary results and figures people are releasing for the MK3s.

Light weight=fast times, 10.0:1 compression=high power  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

QuoteWhat's it like to swap from one to the other.

You'll love it!  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

I've never sat in a MK2 let alone drove one!

You should have mentioned a ride when you were over looking at my car, I would have gladly taken you out - remind me next time if you are still looking ...
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

philster_d

I took Comer out for a quick spin in mine tho.    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

s:) :) s:)
Philster.

Comer

Quote from: "philster_d"I took Comer out for a quick spin in mine tho.    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

s:) :) s:)
Philster.

I was trying very hard not to 'brake' in the passenger seat.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

I've been in a Mk 2 MR2 though I've never driven one b4.  Though I do remember the car throwing me back into the seat then the driver put his foot down and dam did it feel FAST

BenF

Quote from: "philster_d"Has anyone got experience of driving both ?

Care to share some comparisons and observations.

I'm hearing fast times and high power to weight from the preliminary results and figures people are releasing for the MK3s. What's it like to swap from one to the other.

I forgot to get a ride in a MK3 turbo at the weekend *doh!

Thanks,
Phil

Phil, doh!   s:x :x s:x   Missed sorting that out with you at JAE.

Yes, had a tuned Mk2 Turbo (300ish bhp) for many years, and have now a PE Turbo'd Roadster car with 220bhp

Comparisons - now there's a tricky thing.

In terms of straight-line rapdidty (is that a proper word??) they're about on an even par subjectively. I have driven my MK2 turbo and my Roadster back to back, and the Roadster does feel lighter, more pointy and does have less turbo lag than my Mk2 Turbo - although that did have a larger Hybrid turbo on it. Having said that, The PE turbo kit can kick hard and suddenly if you're clumsy with the throttle around 2,500-3k rpms.

The Mk2 felt more settled at high speeds and maybe had a little more torque (230 ft/lbs per tonne, the Roadster is 200ft/lbs) but you wouldn't notice it driving day to day.

The Roadster is a little more playfull and progressive on the limit - but as it is a lighter car, on trackdays on the very very limit ( and as I found at the Nurburgring ) you have to be ultra smooth with your inputs.

I'm used to hustling (aka over-driving) a heavier Mk2, and driving the Roadster in the same style caused the car to get quite skittish at the 'ring which didn't inspire confidence for my first 12 laps or so - especially as there was armco either side of the track.

But once I'd relaxed and took a super-smooth approach to my driving inputs (steering especially) the last two laps I did there were really good, smooth and rapid. Very enjoyable.

Shame I didn't get some full laps on video - I've got some clips of half laps due to some technical 'issues' whilst I was there. I'll dig out the links on Sunday and post them back here if you'd like?

Anyway, where abouts are you in the UK? It still may be possible to arrange a ride ... s;) ;) s;)
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

philster_d

South east. Specificaly surrey, more specificaly woking.   s:) :) s:)

I broght the mk3 was gonna catch you at the next bluewater but thats been cancelled by the looks of things.

Philster.

BenF

... so you've got a Roadster now then?

Hmm, Woking ... not going to be near there for the near future - but if you're over near Ipswich drop me a line
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Slacey

Alternatively, I'm in Telford and I'm sure markii would be obliging, he's in Welwyn if you are ever nearby.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

philster_d

Thanks guys.

But not long now  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Phil

Tags: