A discussion on SMT 5-speed to 6-speed conversion

Started by Anonymous, July 28, 2005, 20:51

Anonymous

Hi, there's a discussion between Corky and I on this topic in Spyderchat. I don't think this conversion has ever been done before. Therefore, this discussion wil benefit anyone who wish for such conversion in the future.

It is thought that for the conversion, one needs only to change the tranny and the SMT ECU. However, this may not be quite so. I have furiously surfed the online Toyota publication (UK) on this issue. These are what I have found.

These are taken from online Toyota (UK) BGB on "New features for post 02 August and above"

Some interesting details on new SMT ECU

Gear ratios of UK and Australia models.

These are some additional SMT info.

Anonymous

Didn't Adam go from 5SMT to 6MT? Or has he only got the 5MT in his?

Anonymous

He swopped 1zz to 2zz with 6spd. So that's different. We are talking about utilising pre 2003 engine ecu with post 2003 6-speed tranny and SMT ecu. So this discussion is to find out if there's TOTAL compadabilities in this combi, or if not, find out other necessary parts that needed to be swopped for this conversion.

Simon,

Anonymous

Ok, fairy nuff.

SteveJ

The ABS pump & associated ECU also have different part numbers and are definately different as a dealer tried to fit the wrong ones to one of my cars when I had problems with the ABS.

There is also a small ECU mounted under the rear bins (IIRC right on the center line of the car) which I believe is used for the yaw & roll detection for the VSC

All-in-all this is going to be a bigger project than I think is really worth doing. By the time you are finished it would be quicker and cheaper to buy a new car  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

You are right. The post 2003 SMT models are equipped with ABS, Brake Assistance, TRC and VSC.

So this is the dilemma:-

In order to swich in the 6-speed tranny in pre 2003 models, you need the post 2003 SMT engine ECU because only post 2003 engine ECU can communicate with the 6-speed SMT tranny. But, the post 2003 engine ECU are programmed to work with ABS, Brake Assistance, TRC and VSC. Out of which the pre-2003 models only have ABS. So, in order for post 2003 engine ECU to work correctly in a pre-2003 SMT models, YOU NEED TO GET THE BRAKE ASSISTANCE, TRC AND VSC!! Sound like I might as well trade in my '01 for a '03 SMT model!!!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Summary:-

1) Pre 2003 SMT has 2 ECU (Engine and SMT)
2) Post 2003 SMT has 3 ECU (Engine, SMT and Skid Control ECU which controls the ABS, TRC and VSC)

Anonymous

I have been thinking.... In order to use existing pre03 engine ecu with 6-speed tranny, the Skid Control ECU is the key issue here. From the diagrams I posted earlier, we can see there's a 2-way communication between the engine ecu and SC ecu, and a 1-way communication between the SC ecu and SMT ecu. That means, if we can somehow modify(hardcode) the pre'03 engine ecu and smt ecu to accept the 6-speed tranny WITHOUT  the codes for the SC ecu, then theoretically it will work (cut and paste the 6-speed codes from post'03 ECUs into pre'03 ECUs)!

So who can modify the engine and smt ECUs....?? Luk from Belgium?

s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(   I think I'm trying too hard..... Sighzzz......

Tem

Can't you just remove the factory ECU's and use a PFC instead?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

not on an smt no
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Sigh....

Jap GT300

You do know that some J-Spec post 03's come with out EBD, TRC and VSC don't you.

zzw30-0057777 is an example of this.  I don't know if you'll be able to raise part numbers from this VIN in Malaysia?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"You do know that some J-Spec post 03's come with out EBD, TRC and VSC don't you.

zzw30-0057777 is an example of this.  I don't know if you'll be able to raise part numbers from this VIN in Malaysia?

Why don't you give me the part no for the engine ECU, smt ECU and 6-speed tranny from this VIN instead? Are you able to raise part numbers from this VIN in UK? If so, please help.

Better still, if someone has the J-spec BGB for post 2003 to confirm this fact.

Adam, are you saying that some post 03 SMT comes with 6-speed tranny, but without EBD, TRC and VSC?? If so, we somehow need to confirm this.

Simon.

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"not on an smt no

Ah, now that I reread this, I see that he wants a 6-speed SMT  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I thought he wanted to convert to 6-speed manual.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Jap GT300

It used to be located on this link.

m http://www.j-garage.com/toyota/mrs/02spec.htm m

It's been modified and now doesn't show either B-Edition or Base Edition.  I'll try and find another comparison chart.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"It used to be located on this link.

m http://www.j-garage.com/toyota/mrs/02spec.htm m

It's been modified and now doesn't show either B-Edition or Base Edition.  I'll try and find another comparison chart.

Hmm.... very interesting. So we know JDM's 2002 Aug models comes with 6-speed tranny. I think only Australia and Europe has the EBD, TRC and VSC features. Mine is a '01 SMT. Dont even know what edition is mine. How can you tell? Mine has the aluminium trims and pedals. Black fabric seats. Does this tell me anything?

If there's no difference in performance design between the two, technically, we can just swop in the JDM 02 engine and smt ecus plus the 6-speed transmission. If that's the case, where can we get the ecus and tranny from? Toyota Japan maybe?  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  

It seems Australia and JDM have higher gear ratios than euro afterall.

Tags: