Rear strut bar: Worth it?

Started by Anonymous, August 3, 2005, 15:35

Anonymous

As per the title...

I'm thinking about getting the C-One rear strut bar to go with my front one, (mainly for cosmetic purposes than anything else), but is there a noticable difference in handling to getting one? Bearing in mind I've got an '03 with aforementioned fsb and Corky's plate too...

If there is a noticable difference then I think I may take the plunge, otherwise the idea can go back on my 'things I want' list.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

it i noticeable, yes

however not as noticeable as some other stuff.

if you can get a deal, go for it, if not wait until you can.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

took my TRD one off recently and didn't notice much difference at all, but if it comes to style/cosmetic reasons for getting one, well

[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks for that guys, I think I'll wait for now.

Anonymous

They look great, but I couldn't tell the difference when I took it off.  I installed the TRD front STB, then the rear one (might have felt different then, but possibly placebo effect), then Corky's Breastplate (very noticeable), then removed rear STB.  Corky's Breastplate is cheaper and much more effective.

Anonymous

Did you powercoat or paint it with heat resistant paint Stu?

Anonymous

can anyone tell me if the front strut brace makes a differents? if so how much by?

Anonymous

It makes the world of difference. I've had mine on for a week now, and the difference in feel of the car when chucking it into a corner is amazing. Everything just feels nice and balanced, and I really wish I'd got one years ago.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "simontan75"Did you powercoat or paint it with heat resistant paint Stu?

its powder coat, only had a problem with the heat when i took the heatshield off after the gutting meet, it started to go pink, but a good polish and they look like new again, front STB is the same colour
[size=100]Stu[/size]

BenF

On struct braces -I've just got fitted ( With the help of markiii and mph - cheers guys!) an early design breastplate and front TRD strut tower brace to my 03 spec car car, along with the Sportivo ARBs. I've left the shocks standard 03 parts for the moment.

Overall, the most noticeable improvement was the 'buzz' or vibration in the steering when you're crossing really bad tarmac has nearly completely gone - it feels like the car does when the hard top is on. This was my biggest bugbear with the Roadster, as it obscured the feedback you get from the weight of the steering when pushing on.

As for fitting the rear TRD ARB, I'm probably going to stick to the standard strut brace for now - I've got some ideas to modify the TRD one to fit my engine bay as the PE Turbo installation would normally foul on the TRD brace ...
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Anonymous

Quote from: "BenF"On struct braces -I've just got fitted ( With the help of markiii and mph - cheers guys!) an early design breastplate and front TRD strut tower brace to my 03 spec car car, along with the Sportivo ARBs. I've left the shocks standard 03 parts for the moment.

Overall, the most noticeable improvement was the 'buzz' or vibration in the steering when you're crossing really bad tarmac has nearly completely gone - it feels like the car does when the hard top is on. This was my biggest bugbear with the Roadster, as it obscured the feedback you get from the weight of the steering when pushing on.

As for fitting the rear TRD ARB, I'm probably going to stick to the standard strut brace for now - I've got some ideas to modify the TRD one to fit my engine bay as the PE Turbo installation would normally foul on the TRD brace ...

Are the Sportivio ARBs worth fitting - how do they improve things - is it purely less roll or do they influence the handling in other areas. I have pretty much the same setup as you: 03, Corky's, front TRD strut brace. Just wondering if the ARBs are a worthwhile addition.

kanujunkie

perhaps a GB on the cheap ones that they do on SC is in order

doh what am i saying, cash is king and i dont have any  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

BenF

Quote from: "RUSTY"
Quote from: "BenF"On struct braces -I've just got fitted ( With the help of markiii and mph - cheers guys!) an early design breastplate and front TRD strut tower brace to my 03 spec car car, along with the Sportivo ARBs. I've left the shocks standard 03 parts for the moment.

Are the Sportivio ARBs worth fitting - how do they improve things - is it purely less roll or do they influence the handling in other areas. I have pretty much the same setup as you: 03, Corky's, front TRD strut brace. Just wondering if the ARBs are a worthwhile addition.

They do seem to make the car flatter in turns - not suprising as the sportivo bars are much thicker 15mm -> 18mm front, 21mm ->24mm rear.

In normal driving, the bonus is that the stiffer ARBs don't ruin the ride.

Pushing really hard and doing 'laps' of a roundabout with my sticky Yokohama Neova tyres I did feel a tiny amount of 'hop' as the tyres lost grip and regained it - could have been bad road surface though as I've not noticed it since.

Other than that, they have added perhaps a little additional weight to the steering, but that is a good thing.

In theory, stiffer ARBs should make a car a little less reluctant to turn into a corner, but that hasn't been a problem I've seen at all.

All in all, defientely something to do if you enjoy driving twisties  s:) :) s:)
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Tags: