MR2 Roadster engine to Celica 190 engine

Started by Anonymous, August 3, 2005, 20:46

Anonymous

Could someone tell me the difference between a MR2 Roadster engine and the Celica 190 engine?

Is it possible to upgrade a roadster engine to a Celica by changing parts?

Does anyone know if superchargers are avaiable for the Roadster as i think they would suit the vvti engine better than turbo conversions!

GSB

Going to have to ask you here to use the Search, as its all been covered 'ad infinitum' within this very forum...

In short though, though the look similar, the differences between the 1ZZ and the celica 2ZZ are myriad. You need to change the entire engine to get the Celica's 190bhp.

Superchargers dont fit (easily), as theres no room in front of the engine on the intake side. Turbo's are fine and will be relatively lag free as long as you use your head and use a unit thats suited to the engine, rather than some huge blower that was originally designed for a bus... Google "Hass Autoworks" for more on this
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

markiii

first thing I'm going to say is search.

now short answers,

the 1zz in teh roadster and the 2zz cleica 190 engine are completely different engines, the most they share is that they are both 1.8litres, so know you ca't really swop parts.

Swopping teh whole engine though has been done many times (though Adam is the only one in th uk I know of)

superchargers have never yet been done, and there is debate as to wether it would physically fir between teh engine and firewall.

however no-one has ever proved it conclusively either way.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Quote from: "markiii"first thing I'm going to say is search.

now short answers,....

Heh-heh... Beat you...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Are the engines are the same apart from some modifications made by yamaha ? could be wrong ?

GSB

Quote from: "Blu_MRs"The engines are the same apart from some modifications made by yamaha.

This includes an increase in the engine's rev limit to nearly 10000 rpm, plus a Variable Valve Lift mechanism to open the valves wide at just over the 6000 rpm mark.

Also, Gear ratios on the 190 are altered to make use fo the increased rev limit.

The engines are NOT the same. They may look similar, but the internals are utterly different. Different Bore, different stroke, different block, different crank, different bore spacing... The list goes on and on...

Heres an SAE technical paper on the development of the 2ZZ-GE...
 m http://www.m-msport.com.au/Downloads/2zzGE%20Engine.pdf m

Anonymous

/H
Thanks for the posts! Sorry regarding the search function! I have just not had much joy in looking!

Tags: