Che short shifter

Started by Anonymous, August 15, 2005, 19:11

Anonymous

Well I was gonna fit it tomorrow, but did it this afternoon instead... and what a stressful one it was, the first time I've gotten so 'mechanical' with my 2" and was brickin' it I was gonna mess something up...but nearly 3 hours later it's in and working fine   s:D :D s:D  

The difference in gear changes is amazing, hardly have too move the stick at all.  It's very clunky though, and have too put more effort in too get it in gear, reverse especially, but I'm hoping it's gonna loosen up after a while.

Looks much better too, even though the stick is off centre, it looks much better with the stick being so much shorter... a worthy purchase!!

philster_d

ok, but why 3 hours dont you just stick it in ?

s:) :) s:)

kanujunkie

if there's one thing for sure Phil, the first time you do anything to your 2 thats above the normal work then, its going to take a bit longer, kidd gloves and all that, the guide that came with it said an hourish, but then you can add another to that for the removal of the seats, in and out  plus another hour for scratching of ya head, plus drink/swear time and hey presto over 3hrs have gone  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

philster_d

seats   s:? :? s:?

kanujunkie

you can leave them in, but getting to the screws down the side is a lot easier with the seats out, only takes 2 minutes anyway, an hour was a bit of an over exhageration on my part  s:? :? s:?  

as i've said before Phil, pop over to mine and i'll help you if you want, mines going in on Thursday so i should know how to do it by then  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

I printed off the guide for the B&M on here, much easier too follow than the ones you get with it, took me so long as i was just taking my time making sure i did it all right, and trying not too damage things as i took them out, as i can be a little ham fisted too say the least  s:) :) s:)

Liz

Even I can take the seats out of my car by myself!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

kanujunkie

Quote from: "doony"I printed off the guide for the B&M on here, much easier too follow than the ones you get with it, took me so long as i was just taking my time making sure i did it all right, and trying not too damage things as i took them out, as i can be a little ham fisted too say the least  s:) :) s:)

and thats the key, take your time, its like the old rule of measure twice cut once but applied to disassembly/assembly and dont force anything, now that of course has just buggered it for me, mine goes in in the morn, hopefully  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

well mines in, took about 2hrs total, i've noticed that first is a tiny bit stiffer but other than that all other gears are picture perfect, there was a little bit of swearing involved in getting the star/stiff washer off the side but after that a relatively simple job. The first drive was a strange one though, it seemed more involved, strange that a shorter throw can create such a reaction, or perhaps its just me  s:? :? s:?  probably  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Quote from: "kanujunkie"The first drive was a strange one though, it seemed more involved, strange that a shorter throw can create such a reaction, or perhaps its just me  s:? :? s:?  probably  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

I know the feeling...you are desperate for it to work right so you take more interest in what you are doing. With the old lever, it was just there for changing gear   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Stu, did you fit the SpeedSource metal thingies? I hope not, then you can get used to the lever without them, and then see if they make any difference when you put them in. As I said, my feeling was they didn't help, but I am sure each will have their own view.

Can you recall when you fiddled with my lever at the Treasure Hunt, is yours any different?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

edward.carter

Quote from: "roger"Can you recall when you fiddled with my lever at the Treasure Hunt, is yours any different?

Aii aii!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Ernie Ball

Exactly what kind of 'treasure' were you 'hunting' for?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "roger"Stu, did you fit the SpeedSource metal thingies? I hope not, then you can get used to the lever without them, and then see if they make any difference when you put them in. As I said, my feeling was they didn't help, but I am sure each will have their own view.

Can you recall when you fiddled with my lever at the Treasure Hunt, is yours any different?

sorry Rog, the speedsource bushes are already in  s:( :( s:(  and i've got to admit that whilst i can remember a lot of useless c**p, i cant seem to remember how it feels, perhaps a little feel of your knob is in order at the next meet, ooooooooeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr   mrs  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

edward.carter

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "roger"Stu, did you fit the SpeedSource metal thingies? I hope not, then you can get used to the lever without them, and then see if they make any difference when you put them in. As I said, my feeling was they didn't help, but I am sure each will have their own view.

sorry Rog, the speedsource bushes are already in  s:( :( s:(  and i've got to admit that whilst i can remember a lot of useless c**p, i cant seem to remember how it feels, perhaps a little feel of your knob is in order at the next meet, ooooooooeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr   mrs  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Ha ha nice   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

heathstimpson

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: