extra grunt!!!

Started by Anonymous, August 24, 2005, 19:49

Anonymous

i am i missing something?? i am a new owner,its many years since i had a rear wheel drive 2 seater, but what i do like is power out of a 90 degree corner. even in second gear with the tail starting to slide, i find the revs have dropped and the engine has gone "off the cam" the engine lacks grunt. i have been following some of the leads about exausts, air filters, chips, £800-£1000!!! for 10-12bph not a lot is it? how are lotus getting 189bph from the same engine? come on what is the catch

Slacey

Lotus use the 190 bhp 2ZZ engine from the Celica and Corolla T-Sports (GTS in the US).
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

kanujunkie

whereas we have the 1ZZ
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

thanks

Liz

Need Unichip....need unichip!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Liz"

Need Unichip....need unichip!
Yes I must agree  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Liz

If you stare into his eyes long enough you will start believing   s:) :) s:)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Liz"If you stare into his eyes long enough you will start believing   s:) :) s:)
Whatever you say hypnotist  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Liz

Quote from: "mick"chips, £800-£1000!!!

They are not that much, think mine cost approx £500 with the rolling road tuning.

Liz

Thinking about what Mick wants from the car, the Unichip shouldn't only be measured in what the dyno says. Mine produces 153 BHP now (some have got alot more out of theirs) whilst I gained a mere 15 BHP over standard, the difference in the overall performance of the car through the rev bands is simply brilliant.  Far more responsive throughout, blip the throttle in 5th and I can feel mine dig in and go, its a mod that is more than worthwhile for the extra grunt.

kanujunkie

as someone said once, it makes the engine feel looser, less restricted
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Quote from: "kanujunkie"as someone said once, it makes the engine feel looser, less restricted

Actually accelerates in 6th   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  maybe not quickly but quite useful on the motorways.

And no comments about straining the engine thanks   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

BenF

Quote from: "mick"i am i missing something?? i am a new owner,its many years since i had a rear wheel drive 2 seater, but what i do like is power out of a 90 degree corner. even in second gear with the tail starting to slide, i find the revs have dropped and the engine has gone "off the cam" the engine lacks grunt. i have been following some of the leads about exausts, air filters, chips, £800-£1000!!! for 10-12bph not a lot is it? how are lotus getting 189bph from the same engine? come on what is the catch

Sounds like you need some forced induction!

For more torque, get a Turbo kit. I looked into options including a 2zz swap before going the turbo route with my Roadster.

A turbo conversion willl give you more accessable power and torque for everyday driving and the situation you describe than a 2zz swap.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Ivano

Hi all i'm a new '2 owner and lovin' it! But am too yerin' for a little more grunt  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Can't go the Turbo route...YET  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

I live in South Africa and there this company that Does REFLEX RAM mapping which they cailm they manipulate the factory settings...and get +/-15-40bhp gain. anybody know anything about this that side?  s:? :? s:?  

They do the Unichip here too...would that be a better route...thing is I don't wanna cut into any wires  s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  

OH great Site....  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:D :D s:D
Red 2001, TRD Circuit coilovers,TRD sportivo front and rear sway bars,TRD front and rear strut braces,17" black 5 spoke polished lip,,TRD short shifter,facelift air intakes,corkeys breastplate,Custom 68mm 304 stainless steel Exhaust Dual exit Pipes system, ceramic coated branches, internal antenna, custom Super \'M\' bonnet badge. 1MZ with ITB direct to head, Vipec v88 EMS, LSD, custom equal lenghth drivshafts.....now running and sounding very...very Mean!!!

Liz

Quote from: "Ivano"They do the Unichip here too...would that be a better route...thing is I don't wanna cut into any wires  s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  

OH great Site....  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:D :D s:D

Hi Ivano and welcome along.  s:) :) s:)  

There is a plug and play Unichip for sale
Here, no wire cutting required, don't know if Dom would send it abroad though.

kanujunkie

Hi Ivano, welcome to the club  s:D :D s:D  

The Unichip made by Dastek is made in South Africa so i'd have thought you could get a brand new one at a hell of a lot less than we can, just a thought  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

see  m http://www.dastek.co.za/ m
[size=100]Stu[/size]

edward.carter

Quote from: "kanujunkie"Hi Ivano, welcome to the club  s:D :D s:D  

The Unichip made by Dastek is made in South Africa so i'd have thought you could get a brand new one at a hell of a lot less than we can, just a thought  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

wonder how much cheaper? group buy anyone?  :-) :-) :-)  hehe

kanujunkie

Quote from: "edward.carter"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"Hi Ivano, welcome to the club  s:D :D s:D  

wonder how much cheaper? group buy anyone?  :-) :-) :-)  hehe

in SA it should be cheaper because of the lack of import charges etc etc. It would make it too expensive for us i'd have thought but perhaps Ivano can let us know how much he can get one for?????
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"in SA it should be cheaper because of the lack of import charges etc etc. It would make it too expensive for us i'd have thought but perhaps Ivano can let us know how much he can get one for?????

Unless Ivano happened to be visiting the UK (It's a lovely place, really, trust us  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) and accidentally had a few Unichips in the back of his car..  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

This quoted power increase of 15 ponies, is that peak power or the biggest gain at a specific point of the rev range?

Was there much increase in torque?

roger

Quote from: "nighthawk"This quoted power increase of 15 ponies, is that peak power or the biggest gain at a specific point of the rev range?

Was there much increase in torque?

Here's my before and after....make of it as you please, they do differ, but not by much

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92199876@N00/15328353/
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

mrsmr2

Just to point out that at Elvington I was following a Unichipped car around the track and there was nothing in it.

The Unichip may make the car more driveable for normal day to day driving (which is a good thing) but in my experience there was nothing in it when flat out on the track.

However, if it brought the torque in earlier than the 2.5k revs (where the engine normally wakes up), and eliminated the engine death that happens because of this, then it would be a truly great purchase.

Looking at Roger's map it looks like it does bring the torque in earlier.

Might be worth a try after all  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

kanujunkie

glad you posted that Roger, needed they phone number for Millways  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

as for the unichip then it doesn't make a huge difference as people think, its more of a case that it frees up the engine, you have a sense that the engine revs more smoothly and it is a bit quicker, i've got the vid here done by Lee with Bigun and Darth haveing a race and the speed difference between them aint that great, but its enough to make it worth it
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Ivano

Duh!!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
Don't worry we arent all this dumb down her...just a momentary laps  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Since i last posted i have spoken to one of the Unichip Installers...
I can have one fitted for about R2400.00 (+/-200 pounds) includind Dyno tuning...I have a friend who imports from UK and US so mabe could ship out a few at a better price  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   OR Just bring them over myself  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   My friends have been expecting a visit for a while now!  s8) 8) s8)  they claim 10Kw/15N.m gains!
Red 2001, TRD Circuit coilovers,TRD sportivo front and rear sway bars,TRD front and rear strut braces,17" black 5 spoke polished lip,,TRD short shifter,facelift air intakes,corkeys breastplate,Custom 68mm 304 stainless steel Exhaust Dual exit Pipes system, ceramic coated branches, internal antenna, custom Super \'M\' bonnet badge. 1MZ with ITB direct to head, Vipec v88 EMS, LSD, custom equal lenghth drivshafts.....now running and sounding very...very Mean!!!

jonytom

£200 fitted and dyno'd!

Group buy, group buy, group buy!!!!!!!!!!

How much are they on their own?
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

Tags: