Big Brake Kits...

Started by GSB, August 21, 2003, 12:26

Anonymous

Quote from: "pmdye"
Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "WoodenDummy"Some SS lines wouldnt be a bad thing, better than the stock rubber.

Now that you mentioned it...anyone selling sets for Roadster?

Geoff Mohler at SpeedToys

you rule!

juansolo

Absolutely nothing wrong with the stock brakes on the Mr2.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Tem

Thanks for the link pmdye!

Quote from: "juansolo"Absolutely nothing wrong with the stock brakes on the Mr2.

Sometimes I just love to disagree  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

But seriously. There is something wrong with the stock brakes. The braking power is great...no wait, perfect, unless you have some crazy rubber. I agree on that.

But they rust. That's not perfect. And they are kinda heavy. That's not perfect either. I don't think the rubber lines are perfect either. And you can't fix those with better pads  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

juansolo

Quote from: "Tem"But they rust. That's not perfect. And they are kinda heavy. That's not perfect either. I don't think the rubber lines are perfect either. And you can't fix those with better pads  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

I've hammered the car around Cadwell Park for 6x20 minute sessions on a very hot day and the cars braking has remained strong and free from fade.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As for unsprung wieght, I understand the handling benefits of this as the effect of reducing unsprung weight is exaggerated on the Westfield as it is so light (and softly sprung as a result) to start off with.  But you are not going to notice any difference by fitting lighter brakes to the Mr2 as you're simply not going to get enough weight off them.  Ali bells will help with the expansion and contraction of the disk and reduce the wieght a fraction... Once again there should be no issues with this on road rubber.  Drilled disks eat pads and on the whole are uneccessary.  Skimming disks is unwise on a car this heavy.  

Brake lines.  Yes this might fractionally increase pedal feel as braided teflon lines cannot expand when hot like rubber, but again I argue that you can't get them hot enough to notice this anyhow.

Basically you're not going to make a big enough weight saving to notice any difference and, unless using sticky track rubber, you're never going to work the brakes hard enough for them to need to be uprated.

If you want to make an easy and noticable difference to unsprung weight, tackle the heaviest item first and swap out the stock wheels for some magnesium items....   and I don't mean 18" jobs!

Sorry to rain on your parade but it just seems a waste to modify things on the car in the name of performance just for the sake of it (rather than just being a GJOB or a Max Muppet) and there are other areas that are more of an issue that there would be benefits to addressing, like the whole bracing issue for example.

Anonymous

Couldn't agree more on this point. There is NOTHING wrong with the stock brakes on the '2 that you can't get fixed under warrenty  :-) :-) :-)

This sunday I was belting round Donington Park with a bunch of Elise, MX-5's and MGF's, and there wasn't a single car there I couldn't outbrake into the corners, and especially Goddards Chicane. I was flying past the F's like they were driving through glue. I don't think there are too many drivers that would be able to tell the difference between a stock setup and one with changed lines or calipers. The only thing that did worry me was the amount of damage I was doing to my pads!

And I take back what I said about the ABS. On the road it seemed a little too intrusive. On a track I think it was perfect!

Anonymous

Guys this is Tem and WoodenDummy we are talking about, we make it our life to poke the Max Power boys in the eyes.

Our brakes are not perfect, yes they stop us like anchors I'm the guy that likes to point out that we stop faster than the McF1, but they DO rust and i'm not going through this with the dealer again i'm starting to get very sick of Toyota dealers.

juansolo please re-read Tem and myselfs posts here and on SC, to think that either one of us would fit 18" wheels is quite funny, i'm the guy that was thinking about changing to 15" steel wheels before he found out that the stock alloys still weighed less.  Just look at my posts commenting on the recent VS kit in the UK!

Your missing our points my disc's have rusted BADLY and I know two other people personally who have had and keep having the same problem.

Tem

Quote from: "juansolo"I've hammered the car around Cadwell Park for 6x20 minute sessions on a very hot day and the cars braking has remained strong and free from fade.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Like I said, I'm not after more braking power. The brakes work just fine even after ~30mins of track when the temp were beyond 100F on a dman sunny and hot day.

"But you are not going to notice any difference by fitting lighter brakes"

You sure?  s:) :) s:)  Some say they notice a huge difference from an intake that only makes more noise. Some say they didn't notice a thing after removing the spare wheel . Different people notice different things.

"If you want to make an easy and noticable difference to unsprung weight, tackle the heaviest item first and swap out the stock wheels for some magnesium items....   and I don't mean 18" jobs!"

First of all, the (front) wheel weights 6.5kg and the tyre 9.5kg, rears are a bit more, but don't remember them right now. And since the tyres are further from the centre than wheel, it only makes matters worse.

Anyway, I never said these brakes are the next item on my to-do-list  s;) ;) s;)  Just weighting options in advance. I'm pretty sure I will get lighter wheels before touching the brakes. And I don't mean 18-inchers either.

"there are other areas that are more of an issue that there would be benefits to addressing, like the whole bracing issue for example"

Actually I'm quite happy about the bracing I have on the car, thanks for asking  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  This was just a new subject for me, I've never seen brake kits for Roadster before. I wanted to talk about it now, not in a year or two when the update might be next on my to-do-list. No need to get excited about it.

juansolo

Quotei'm the guy that was thinking about changing to 15" steel wheels before he found out that the stock alloys still weighed less

Ok I admit I skim read most forums I contribute to and may have come over a little harsh as I've only picked up on odd points that people have made.  I apologise for this.  

I would say though that steelies do bring their own problems also.  They're lousy at heat dissipation next to alloys and the wheel & disk will operate at much higher temperatures because of this.  They will also not cool down anywhere near as quickly between sessions.

Other than that, fair do's.  Don't know either of you so don't know your agendas on upgrading.  Saw brake upgrade and instantly thought Max Power drilled disks and painted red calipers.  Once again I apologise if I got the wrong end of the stick.  However if I got the right end then may I direct you toward Halfords for some high temperature caliper paint and B&Q for a £15 special offer power drill.

BTW, never had issues with rusting on my disks.  How is this manifesting?

Anonymous

you hit the nail on the head with everything you said, but we are just trying to stop our disc's rusting.  I posted pics of mine, which have gotten worse.

I think I may have to replace my own for the sake of a quiet life so I was also thinking along the same line as Tem, why not just go for steels.  I can live with groves as long as my pads don't get eaten THAT much.  I AM worried that I might get crap aftermarket discs though!

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"Yes I know the MR-S can out-brake just about anything on the road, and no I'm not about to put my order in for them. Just pointing them out as a mere curiosity...

Bumped into another alternative:
 m http://www.zeckhausen.com/Toyota/MR2_Spyder.htm m
 m http://www.stoptek.com/productphotos/index.shtml m

Anonymous

I agree with WD and Tem.  

One thing though, the F1 stops from 70-0 at 162ft while the MR2 at 167ft...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Emmanuel"I agree with WD and Tem.  

In which case, make sure you're both doing 60 if following close behind one and it decides to do an all-out stop.  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

it's worth keeping in mind that the mclaren doesnt have abs, in a bid to save weight, afaik (or power steering for that matter).

the spyder does have awesome 100-0 times though : )

for track work though, i would prefer bigger brakes than the spyder has, i experienced onlyminimal brake fade after 5-8 laps on sepang f1 circuit.

i would particularly prefer them if they were lighter, esp. after the reviews of how porsches handle with the lighter pccb brake kits.

btw, brake bias, as mentioned by someone earlier in this thread, would be interesting to adjust on the spyder. although increasing the bias towards the front would increase chances of spinning and tail happy behavior on the road, it would be awesome on autocross events, which i amparticularly keen on. if my budget strechs to it i will be keen on having an adjustment system on my car.

Anonymous

Just backtracking a bit but I fitted stainless steel braided hoses to mine last year. They're Goodridge hoses and I got them off ebay for about £50 or £60 I think? The good thing is they're a 'fit & forget' item as they'll never perish or rust plus they give a great firm pedal and look good as well!

juansolo

s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "Emmanuel"I agree with WD and Tem.  

As i've said in other threads, I know how I like my cars to look and handle, but don't know that much about how they work...

Am I right in thinking that you guys are saying that the standard brakes on a '2 will stop it almost as quick as a multi-million £ McLaren F1 car?!?!?!?surely not?!!?!?

I mean, I heard that the '2 will out-accelerate a boxster in the 40-70mph range, and that it's got about the same power-weight ratio as the 2.8 v6 Z3, both of these I could fully believe, I mean, it is VERY light isn't it! but matching an F1 car's braking??? seriously???

Tem

Quote from: "jamesr1"Am I right in thinking that you guys are saying that the standard brakes on a '2 will stop it almost as quick as a multi-million £ McLaren F1 car?!?!?!?surely not?!!?!?

Are you saying that the '2 can't activate the ABS at those speeds?  s;) ;) s;)

...after that it's pretty much only about tyres...

(I think they meant the road legal one with road legal tyres, not the racecar...the real F1's are completely different in braking)

aaronjb

Quote from: "jamesr1"but matching an F1 car's braking??? seriously???

Just to clarify.. They're quoting figures for "the" McLaren F1 (like the one Rowan Atkinson owns), not a McLaren F1 car  s;) ;) s;)

Because I very much doubt we can hit 5g decelleration - then again, that's largely down to downforce (aerodynamic grip) in an F1 car, rather than mechanical grip (although yes, that will also be much higher than our car or the McLaren F1, since we have 'hard' road tyres, and the F1 car has very soft F1 tyres  s:) :) s:) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"(I think they meant the road legal one with road legal tyres, not the racecar...the real F1's are completely different in braking)

Sneaky.. when I started my reply Tem hadn't added that bit.. honest  s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"(I think they meant the road legal one with road legal tyres, not the racecar...the real F1's are completely different in braking)

aahhhh... that clears it up then! I didn't know there were two sorts!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

aaronjb

Ernie Ball

Who sells rust-free replacement rotors (no need for big ones as far as I'm concerned)?  I'd really like to replace mine because they're ugly.

Tags: