Blitz Active Twin clutch pack

Started by kanujunkie, September 5, 2005, 20:01

kanujunkie

Anyone got one of these or any experience of these products??

m http://www.envyperformance.com/index.cf ... ct_ID=1184 m

my clutch is starting to slip and i'm looking for options
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tem

Sounds interesting...for £0.00 I'd give it a try  s;) ;) s;)

Is it just a generic model and not plug and play...? I suppose that would keep most from choosing it...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

which clutch/flywheel would you go for Tem?, i know a few people have gone for RPS stuff, just considering all options before i buy
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

I dread to think how much that would cost thanks to the name alone.. lots, probably..

Personally I'd always choose RPS now after having one in the Z - billet segmented flywheel and sport max clutch would see you good to pretty much any level of tune short of a big turbo v6 swap  s;) ;) s;)  (And even then you can rebuild the flywheel to carbon plates and drop a carbon clutch in, which would be good for .. well, anything, really)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

cheers Aaron, probably end up with one of those anyway, think you may be right about the price of the Blitz kit, shame the name dictates the ££££  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"which clutch/flywheel would you go for Tem?

I went for TRD, got the clutch plate, pressure plate and flywheel from them (and a new bearing from Toyota). If I had to choose again now, I'd take them again  s8) 8) s8)

It seems to hold ~250whp just fine and it actually made the pedal lighter than stock. It grabs a bit more aggressive than stock, but you get used to it during your first drive.

In the end it's very TRD-like. Something that's a lot better than stock, but mild enough that it could be a stock item.

kanujunkie

cheers Tem  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

I think this clutch retails at around £900 (if I recall the FastCar catalogue correctly   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  - at least it's not MaxPower).

aaronjb

Quote from: "Emmanuel"I think this clutch retails at around £900 (if I recall the FastCar catalogue correctly   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  - at least it's not MaxPower).

Dear lord!

From memory, the Carbon/Carbon RPS clutch (used in cars in excess of 1000bhp) is only a smidge over £1000.. If I was paying that kind of money, I know which way I'd go  s:? :? s:?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"From memory, the Carbon/Carbon RPS clutch (used in cars in excess of 1000bhp) is only a smidge over £1000.. If I was paying that kind of money, I know which way I'd go  s:? :? s:?

Yeah, it's "easy" to get clutches that are light and can hold huge powers, but make the clutch a bit too grabby for everyday driving. I really like the idea of having one plate for everyday driving and the 2nd coming on only when needed  s8) 8) s8)

Not that I need more grip than I have now...especially for that price  s8) 8) s8)

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"Yeah, it's "easy" to get clutches that are light and can hold huge powers, but make the clutch a bit too grabby for everyday driving. I really like the idea of having one plate for everyday driving and the 2nd coming on only when needed  s8) 8) s8)

The RPS carbon/carbon is a single plate clutch, though, IIRC - and on the road reports seem to be coming back saying it's very easy to drive just like a stock clutch - slippable, and not at all on/off, unlike a multi-plate clutch..

[edit] Appears I lied - it is a twin plate after all, just behaves more like a single plate street clutch in operation (so I'm told, anyway, I didn't get to drive Andy's Z.. *sulks*  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

It's solid hub, though, not sprung, so it would be a little harsher than a normal clutch in terms of judder

Pics of it being installed here

BenF

If you were looking for an upgrade, I've been happy with my RPS Street clutch which I've installed with the standard flywheel - it was just over £300 delivered from PPE in the USA a few months back once tax/duty was paid.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

kanujunkie

cheers Ben,

i may go for this option, just need to consider whether to go for the flywheel, mine idles low enough as it is sometimes  s:? :? s:?  this could end up constantly stalling it anyway
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Go for the flywheel.. go for the flywheel.. you know you want to.. go on.. go for the flywheel.. they're so nice and shiny.. and rebuildable for the carbon/carbon clutch.. and shiny.. and billet.. and dynamically balanced.. go on, you know you want to

s;) ;) s;)

kanujunkie

don't know why but i think i'll get the flywheel, they are shiny after all  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

i heard they were dynamaticaly bulit and shiney hth.   s:) :) s:)

kanujunkie

Quote from: "philster_d"i heard they were dynamaticaly bulit and shiney hth.   s:) :) s:)

yep

[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

ooooooo wont it get dirty in the engine    s:) :) s:)

kanujunkie

Quote from: "philster_d"ooooooo wont it get dirty in the engine    s:) :) s:)

i'll let you know  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

If I had the choice, I wouldn't get a lightened flywheel if I was going turbo: It's jittery enough when pulling away in NA form (just ask Mark and Aaron as they watched me almost stall it three times when trying to reverse out of Mark's driveway!), and I doubt it'll get any better when I get the Hass kit installed...

Just a thought if you're ever planning on going down that route  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slacey

Quote from: "Ekona"If I had the choice, I wouldn't get a lightened flywheel if I was going turbo: It's jittery enough when pulling away in NA form (just ask Mark and Aaron as they watched me almost stall it three times when trying to reverse out of Mark's driveway!), and I doubt it'll get any better when I get the Hass kit installed...

Just a thought if you're ever planning on going down that route  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Mmm I don't know... when I drove Marks car at Elvington I just got straight in and drove it as I would my own (my clutch and fly aren't fitted yet) and had no problems what so ever - I did notice that the whole thing seemed a lot smoother than mine though.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Could be my dodgy driving then...!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tem

I don't know why people keep saying light flywheel and turbo doesn't mix. They do mix with great results  s8) 8) s8)

It's true that turbo gets on boost with lower revs on a heavier flywheel. It's also true that heavier flywheel is easier to launch.

1) With heavy flywheel you might be making 10 psi at 3000rpm. With light flywheel you might be making 10psi at 3500rpm, but you get there faster. It's not all about the pressure. People never complain that light wheels or light cars are bad for turbo. I'm sure many here know whether light car is good or bad for a turbo  s8) 8) s8)

2) Unless most of your driving is drag racing, where you can get the heavy lightwheel spinning before the clock starts, heavier flywheel just makes you slower.

And about the Hass kit. Jay himself said on SC that a light flywheel is better than heavy with turbo  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Slacey

Quote from: "Tem"And about the Hass kit. Jay himself said on SC that a light flywheel is better than heavy with turbo  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Other way round - he advised us NOT to go with a lightened flywheel - we all bought one anyway!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Tem"where you can get the heavy lightwheel spinning before the clock starts

did buzz lightyear just pop in your engine then Tem??

lightwheel???
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: