TRD or Blitz air filter element?

Started by jonytom, September 8, 2005, 19:41

jonytom

Managed to acquire one of Markiii's inlet pipes (thanks to Dimwit). Guessing I'll also need a performance air filter too?

Fensport have TRD (drop in) for around £60, but also Blitz at around £30. Is it worth paying twice as much for the TRD?

Incidently, my car is not quite out of warranty yet - I'm just getting all of this gear together ahead of gutting precats and finding a decent performance exhaust.

So any suggestions on which filter and backbox would work well performance-wise with gutted manifold and Markiii pipe would be helpful.
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

Anonymous

Never tried the Blitz one, but the TRD works very well with the inlet duct and the TTE exhaust.

For a sheer performance exhaust, you won't go wrong with an H&S one. Oh, and I'd get those nasty pre-cats out sooner rather than later...

markiii

Quote from: "jonytom"Managed to acquire one of Markiii's inlet pipes (thanks to Dimwit). Guessing I'll also need a performance air filter too?

Fensport have TRD (drop in) for around £60, but also Blitz at around £30. Is it worth paying twice as much for the TRD?

Incidently, my car is not quite out of warranty yet - I'm just getting all of this gear together ahead of gutting precats and finding a decent performance exhaust.

So any suggestions on which filter and backbox would work well performance-wise with gutted manifold and Markiii pipe would be helpful.

Blitz are not a good idea if it's one of teh metal mesh ones. Sounds nice, filtering is crap
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

I have the H&S inlet pipe and exhaust along with the TRD drop in and they work well together. As Mark said you get better filtration with the TRD which is advantageous   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Ernie Ball

You can order the TRD one from Carson Toyota in the states for about $40.  Even with the shipping, it'll be significantly cheaper than the price quoted over here.

Anonymous

If you order the TRD filter, you'll want the full kit that includes the cleaner and oil, $74 from Carson Toyota. When I added that to my setup (decatted, dual exhaust) there was no noticeable gain in performance. Later, adding the Injen CAI produced the expected gain. I'd consider the TRD an interim step.

heathstimpson

Do they sell just the cleaning kit on its own for the TRD as well as I still need to get one of these  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

I`ve got a TRD drop in on the way from Carson at the moment.
What`s an injen CAI? And where can I get it from?

dieamond

the new TRD filter doesn't require cleaning and oiling   s:!: :!: s:!:
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Tem

Quote from: "dieamond"the new TRD filter doesn't require cleaning

So you just throw it away after some time then...?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

dieamond

you clean it from time to time, when it can not be cleaned anymore, you throw it away

oiled filters aren't recommended along with maf sensor
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia

roger

Quote from: "dieamond"oiled filters aren't recommended along with maf sensor

Dieamond, what happens if you have the (presumably) older type filter on which oiling is recommended. Does it upset the MAF readings, or what   s:?: :?: s:?:  

Thanks

Roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

dieamond

The oil of the filter, when it leaves the filter, first encounters the maf, and some drops of oil remains on it, which is bad.

A dirty MAF can "eat" 5-10 hp  s:-( :-( s:-(

Anonymous

I use K&N filter on PR style intake without any problem, cleaning and oiling one a year!

Anonymous

Quote from: "dieamond"A dirty MAF can "eat" 5-10 hp  s:-( :-( s:-(
s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I know a dirty MAF affects output but 5-10 bhp?  I keep my reservations...

roger

Quote from: "dieamond"The oil of the filter, when it leaves the filter, first encounters the maf, and some drops of oil remains on it, which is bad.

A dirty MAF can "eat" 5-10 hp  s:-( :-( s:-(

I thought a dirty MAF was a problem with "old" cars,  I am guessing since I bought the filter 2nd hand, and it hasn't yet been re-oiled I'll probably be OK. But I will have a look this weekend, just in case.

Thanks

Roger
Roger

dieamond

I dinoed my car with a dirty maf : 136hp

with a clean maf : 141.5

Ernie Ball

Note to self: clean MAF immediately.

dieamond

when you do it DO IT CAREFULLY

heathstimpson

Quote from: "dieamond"the new TRD filter doesn't require cleaning and oiling   s:!: :!: s:!:
I assume the one I bought from you in the group buy is a new type one  s:?: :?: s:?:

roger

I took the MAF out tonight, first time ever.

The side on the airflow was a bit dull, the other side was sparkly clean. I am not sure what a "dirty" one really looks like, both both sides now sparkle.

Butt dyno doesn't register any change. Was mine really dirty?
Roger

Anonymous

There are two bits that need cleaning Roger, the obvious bit you can see and another, much smaller bit hidden up inside the MAF. Did you get both?

Also, to register any gain from cleaning it you also need to disconnect the battery for 30mins.

roger

Quote from: "Ekona"There are two bits that need cleaning Roger, the obvious bit you can see and another, much smaller bit hidden up inside the MAF. Did you get both?

Also, to register any gain from cleaning it you also need to disconnect the battery for 30mins.

No and No. Ah well start again!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
Resetting the ECU with a Unichip is OK, isn't it?
Roger

Anonymous

Yeah, no worries.

Tags: