loosing the spare wheel

Started by Anonymous, September 14, 2005, 16:24

Anonymous

Hi,

Have been considering loosing the spare wheel from the 2 to provide more space for weekends away etc.  Replace the wheel with a can of tyre weld as they do with the Elise.

...but, reading some comments in the post about wider tyres/wheels on the front I was wondering if changing the weight distribution by loosing the wheel would be a bad move?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

David

edward.carter

apparently loosing the front wheel makes the front end lighter and more likely to understeer, plenty of posts on it

leon_in_uk

i was gonna post exactly the same thing. but dont you find that the front is light enough round corners??? taking the wheel out would be lethal

if anything i need weights in the front aswell as the tyre.
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

Tem

Quote from: "Silverfox"'91 300zx NA in black - driven from the rear, engine in the front ...the way a car should be!

We're not talking to you!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Silverfox"'91 300zx NA in black - driven from the rear, engine in the front ...the way a car should be!

We're not talking to you!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Wondered how long it would be until someone took the bait!   s:D :D s:D    I love my zed but she's for sale.  I actually have a couple of people interested so she'll probably be gone by the end of the month.  My girlfriend has the MR2 (which I must admit I love driving).  That will be our weekend fun car with my old Galant doing the daily shopping/communte duties.  Of course, one great thing about the 300 is that it has enough space for a weekend away - I can even fit all my kitesurf gear in there.

So then, removing the spare wheel not such a great plan then.  Presumably if the space in the front was filled with a suitable amount of camping gear it would be ok?

I guess a rear luggage rack is a better bet - but doesn't that shift the weight distribution too?

Cheers

David

Anonymous

Have you seen the link below?

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8355 m

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about the change in weight distribution after the wheel has been removed. You can still push the car very hard but just be mindful that front can run a little wide if your not on the ball.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Andy

Tem

Quote from: "Silverfox"I guess a rear luggage rack is a better bet - but doesn't that shift the weight distribution too?

If you have luggage, you shouldn't really be pushing the car in the first place  s:? :? s:?

Don't take it the wrong way, even with the spare wheel removed, the car still grips VERY nicely and can outhandle most other cars on the road. But if you go against clock on a twisty circuit, you're faster with some load on the front axle.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Cheers, think we'll give it a go.  The extra space could make a huge difference and make the car almost practical!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .

QuoteBut if you go against clock on a twisty circuit, you're faster with some load on the front axle.

She lets me drive her baby but I haven't suggested a track day yet!!  Maybe soon   s:) :) s:)  

Where do people relocate the alarm sounder to?  Its so quiet tucked away in the spare wheel!

David

MRMike

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... pare+wheel m

Have a look here, it makes a massive difference IMO to the way the car handles
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

...pay attention, here comes the science bit!

Quote from: "MRMike"http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5323&highlight=spare+wheel

Have a look here, it makes a massive difference IMO to the way the car handles

Wow, cheers for that.  I really should have done a little search before I posted - sorry about that.  Didn't expect it to be such a contentious issue to be honest.

How much does the wheel weigh?  Isn't the ideal solution a replacement weight to correct handling but still maximize storage space?

David

Anonymous

Quote from: "Silverfox"How much does the wheel weigh?  Isn't the ideal solution a replacement weight to correct handling but still maximize storage space?

spare w/cover & bolt 25.0 lbs (about 11 kgs) - from here!

A replacement weight may be a good idea; I'll have a think about that (may be able to get a bit of sheet stainless steel laser cut to sit on the floor of the bin)...

Although you do lose your spare!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Bongo

Surely the ideal solution is for the luggage to replace the weight of the wheel?

mrsmr2

Ok, who is going to identify the optimum additional weight to put in the front (in addition to the wheel).

Should be able to get to 1.2g   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrsmr2"Ok, who is going to identify the optimum additional weight to put in the front (in addition to the wheel).

Should be able to get to 1.2g   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Jason

LOL I've started (or restarted!) something here!  All I want to do is to be able to fit a tent, some sleeping bags and some walking kit in the car!

mrsmr2

I don't care for any of that, I just want to know how well I can get it to corner  s:) :) s:)  

You can remove the side panels from the locker (gives about 1 mm extra length each side), put the toolkit under the passenger seat, put everything in plastic bags, and just force the stuff into the lockers, and front boot.  You could experiment with taking the front lid off so this should give a bit of extra height to the trunk.

The real problem is what to do with dirty walking boots after.  Lots of plastic bags I think.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Tags: