to those who have induction kits..

Started by leon_in_uk, September 15, 2005, 10:08

leon_in_uk

just fitted my pipercross.

just wondering, am i supposed to move the plastic pipe that lead to my airbox. so basically the end of the air feed is in the corner??

also has any1 noticed the decrease in pwer around 5,000 rpm?

help
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

bridster

I bought and installed an injen cold air induction kit and i left the plastic feed on as this helps direct the airflow from the side of the car to the filter..
You can however  buy a nice polished aluminium pipe from TRD (japanparts.com) which they reckon increases airflow.. is it worth it though?
  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Need more money.. soooooooo much nice things for the mr2 to buy.

Tem

Since that plastic elbow actually blocks air, I took mine off. No dynos or anything for real data though...

I'm sure the TRD pipe isn't worth it, if you have a CAI. A sealed stock intake is another thing...and mark makes a copy of it for less if you want one, check the Group buy forum.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

leon_in_uk

well the other side of the cars air input runs anywhere, so would you try and extend from there to, to get extra intake?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

Tem

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"well the other side of the cars air input runs anywhere, so would you try and extend from there to, to get extra intake?

If you really want to know what's best, measure the intake air temp  s8) 8) s8)  Everything else is just guessing...

Best way would be reading the stock temp sensors, through OBD2 or PFC, but if you have neither, a normal outdoor temp meter will do the job. One that has the sensor after some cord...it won't be the fastest to react on changes, but should give a nice average.

leon_in_uk

do you feel like you loose rpm around 5,000? i do maybe because i havnt as good air flow..
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Tem

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"do you feel like you loose rpm around 5,000? i do maybe because i havnt as good air flow..

Whome? I don't really remember...it's been a while since I had my Apexi on  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I tested a few 2s with stock intake and then a unit with an AEM CAI.  Difference was noticable, but not like an extra 100 ponies or anything.  Intake roar was good and not objectionable.  PPE header and hi-flow cat finished the mod.  Overall power gain is subtle, but very smooth and take-off from a stop is much improved.  Can't help but grin every time I turn the key!

Jap GT300

Most after market induction kits actually lose power when installed on there own.  Toyota had a really good design first off and the ECU was mapped for that.  I'm not sure if the stock ECU would adjust for the change or just throw a CEL.  Any change in pipe length, width or MAF placement will effect the performance.

Most K&N's lose power on other models as shown nowadays in a lot of magazines.  People still buy them though because of the sound   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

The best thing to do with the stock setup in to buy a bigger elbow pipe and a thinner panel filter for the box.

leon_in_uk

any1 know how much i am loosing/gaining, i have a pipercross. and i am due to get an extra pipe leading right by the filter. just a bit of extra air.

and when starting in cold the pipercross is making a very loud grinding whistling sound all the while and loud when turning off. do you get that on all of them
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

spit

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"any1 know how much i am loosing/gaining, i have a pipercross. and i am due to get an extra pipe leading right by the filter. just a bit of extra air.

and when starting in cold the pipercross is making a very loud grinding whistling sound all the while and loud when turning off. do you get that on all of them

As Tem says, air temperature is the pivotal factor to get to grips with. Its a bit of a misnomer to call these CAIs when they're stuffed into a hot engine bay - the stock box does a better job! Rusty tried some configuration changes to duct more air through. Looked good & sounded great, but I don't know if there were tangible gains. However, IMHO any increase in air source to the filter from outside the bay should help.

My Apexi did nothing other than introduce a nice grunt - it was changes to the exhaust side that made the bigger difference (de-pre-cat & AEM exhaust).

New noises at start-up and cut-off aren't unusual - these will remain but are likely to soften a little as time goes on.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

leon_in_uk

nice 1 matey, got a little worried with the noise. am i losing seconds of 0-60 time then?? or about the same??

also i may consider cutting out the whole grill in the side vent, making a little more air go in. if i fcuk it up i will buy new 1's from toyota.. do you think that will make a difference?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

spit

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"am i losing seconds of 0-60 time then?? or about the same??
Any response to this would be pure guesswork. With my Apexi install, I'd say the pros cancelled out the cons, but the noise improved the grin factor  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Have a look at an older thread for a bit more of the logic behind CAIs in the'2 eg http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4129 It starts out talking about the famous EBay resistor mod(con), but drifts into CAI.

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"also i may consider cutting out the whole grill in the side vent, making a little more air go in. if i fcuk it up i will buy new 1's from toyota.. do you think that will make a difference?
Personally, no. I'd be inclined to accept what you get from the kit and put your grill money towards something else (like a Corky plate if you don't have one). Your choice though.

leon_in_uk

a what plate
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

philster_d

Also called a Breast Plate, I believe.

Braces things under the car, if im correct.

Phil

Bongo

I don't think any significant amount of air comes in through the vents so playing with the mesh is not likely to make a difference.

leon_in_uk

so overall just for noise, no air input and alot of heat. and dodgy sounds when starting and finishing.. no gains,

no point in anyone getting an induction kit is there?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Slacey

The only ones worht the bother IMO are the PPE / homebew types that sit inline with the throttle body and draw air from behind the battery.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Bongo

Some people like the sound; others (me included) have gone down the route of improved panel filter and inlet pipe.

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"homebew types that sit inline with the throttle body and draw air from behind the battery

Here's a link to what he's talking about  s8) 8) s8)
 m http://www.pelicanracing.com/prd.intake.htm m

spit

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"so overall just for noise, no air input and alot of heat. and dodgy sounds when starting and finishing.. no gains,

no point in anyone getting an induction kit is there?
Thats one way of looking at it, but for some the noise grunt is a psychological power gain, for others (like me) its the fun of tinkering. For yet others, its a "bling-thing"  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Bongo"Some people like the sound; others (me included) have gone down the route of improved panel filter and inlet pipe.
That was my way too  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: