Turbo?????????????????

Started by bridster, September 16, 2005, 01:46

Anonymous

I'm thinking of going for that one. But i've been told that with these kits, your limited to the amount of power you can run through them. I know 220 horses is more than enough but i've seen the 1zz with 360 bhp. That sounds tempting!!   s:D :D s:D

heathstimpson

Quote from: "rudds23"I'm thinking of going for that one. But i've been told that with these kits, your limited to the amount of power you can run through them. I know 220 horses is more than enough but i've seen the 1zz with 360 bhp. That sounds tempting!!   s:D :D s:D
But too much power for normal general road use me thinks  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

True, but it would be nice. Not sure if my budget will alow that though

Anonymous

so is the manifold above going to be less than $350?

bridster

any one have the power enterprises kit as you can get a good deal on it from whifbitz.co.uk
im also looking at the top secret kit from Japanparts.com...

Bugger i cant make my mind up..  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Need more money.. soooooooo much nice things for the mr2 to buy.

Anonymous

Quote from: "bridster"any one have the power enterprises kit as you can get a good deal on it from whifbitz.co.uk
I'm also looking at the top secret kit from Japanparts.com...

Bugger i cant make my mind up..  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Atleast 4 of us on here with the PE kit, that i can remember.

Anonymous

I've noticed on the PE website that you can buy these direct, which equate to around the 1300 quid mark, it seems a performance bargain to me! who would normally have the experience to fit these converions? and does the clutch or any of the internals need rupgrading, i will be getting my Roadster within a couple of weeks and i am seriously tempted!!

Anonymous

I just rided on exitium PE spyder. Very nice, the booooast is almost linear. The power is not insane for street driving, and the quality of the kit itself is first-class. This is exactly what I'm looking for in my spyder -- handling over power. PERFECT FOR STREET DRIVING!!  s:D :D s:D  

Anyone by chance know what clutch MPH got for his SMT? What's the safest psi you can go on a PE kit on stock 1ZZ?

Anonymous

its not about psi, it about horsepower. the safety limit is pushed at about 270whp. you'll never get there with the PE kit. so you're straight. i don't think the PE turbo is useful after 7-8ish psi. it runs at 4.5-5psi as it comes so there's not much headroom.

I'm also looking at the PE kit. can you give a good description of it for me? I don't know if i got bit by the horsepower bug but in the beginning the Pe kit looked perfect but reading more about the Hass kits, i started to think the Pe was not worth the money for the horsepower you get.

Tem

Quote from: "mefarri"the safety limit is pushed at about 270whp.

Define safe  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

200whp:
 m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=25994 m

230whp:
 m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19090 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

yea everyone knows turbos are more suceptible to engine failure. but a headgasket is less than $100. the first one was driver error I can gaurantee that.  turbos don't go throwin rods through blocks without misshifts of say 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th or seomthing to that extent

Tem

Quote from: "mefarri"yea everyone knows turbos are more suceptible to engine failure.

I'm afraid everyone doesn't. It's not obvious to some people, who have little or no technical experience. They just read on these forums, that wow, 300hp is safe, gotta have that. Then they get it and drive it just like N/A, cause it should be safe and that's where the trouble starts.  s:? :? s:?

Quoteturbos don't go throwin rods through blocks without misshifts

They do. Not all the time. Not with decent power. But things happen and every engine isn't like the other. Some fail, some don't. Once something gives up, anything can happen. Even N/A engines can make a hole in the block without driver error.

Anonymous

The PE kit is no good over 12psi not 6-8   s:? :? s:? .

I run at 10psi daily, i would at 12 but it slips the clutch. There has been atleast 2 that have dyno'd their PE kit at 6-7psi with around 220 or more bhp(flywheel), i would expect 12psi to be 270 or more.

The PE's such a small turbo that the problem is the speed it has to spin to produce the required psi, it has to spin alot faster than a bigger turbo so it generates more heat.So it's not really the psi going into the engine that causes the problems it's the heat.

Over 2 years now with the PE, never under 6.5psi, the first year i had NO IC or WI. Then i added the aquamist and turned up the boost. Never had a day off the road, even when i installed the kit. No internals needed with the PE just good tuning.

Don't forget to add to the price of the kit atleast an emanage.

Anonymous

Crikey - power hungry you lot! heh heh, i would be more than happy with 220-250bhp max from the PE kit - still make it a really quick car

Does anything else have to be changed on this i.e. clutch and head gasket?

kanujunkie

can guarantee the clutch
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Budget for a clutch as it will be needed in the end, but mine has held out since i put the turbo on, well it does slip at more than 10psi but it didn't at the start.

No head gasket needed   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

The standard clutch must be pretty tough then. A guy at work reckons that i would definetely have to change the headgasket. I really only want to go up to 250bhp absolute max - i assure you this is more than enough.

I am just worried about the internals and reliability, the PE kit seems a bargain, who could fit this Kit? anyone in the NW

Sorry for 101 questions

i've done a search but not found all the answers i need.

Cheers guys! (and gals)

kanujunkie

the stock clutch aint that good, 40K including 2 track days on an N/A engine with the TTE exhaust, Apexi and unichip as the only engine mods i have and mine is slipping worse than a whores draws, not impressed, even though i do give it a bit of stick this is a bit early IMHO
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

No need to change the head gasket at all. Tell you mate to shut up.   s:P :P s:P  . The internals will explode before the head gasket   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

The clutch is weird, i know of some that have lasted ages and then some that have slipped as soon as the turbo is on (mostly SMT). It could last or it may slip, that's why i say budget for 1 just incase.

Anyone that has basic mechanical skills can fit the kit IMO but tuning it is another matter.

Anonymous

Unless he's on about a thicker head gasket to lower the compression, then i would still tell him to shut up   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I will do just that ha ha

he thinks just 'cos he owns a MK1 MR2 (that he has just blown up incidentally) he is qualified for his opinion on turbo'd roadsters

Thanks again guys much appreciated!

Slacey

I run daily at 8psi on a GT28R, 44000 miles and a few trackdays - my stock clutch is still holding fine (thankfully  s:? :? s:?  )
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

Quote from: "The Chief"he thinks just 'cos he owns a MK1 MR2 (that he has just blown up incidentally) he is qualified for his opinion on turbo'd roadsters

4A-G(Z)E and 1ZZ-FE have pretty much only one common thing, the number of cylinders.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"the stock clutch aint that good, 40K including 2 track days on an N/A engine with the TTE exhaust, Apexi and unichip
Thats how long mine lasted N.A. at 160bhp.

A stock clutch can hold 5-7 psi worth of power for a few thousand miles at least. I got 2100 miles on mine with the HASS kit. It never slipped and even looked brand new when it got swapped out.

I didnt want to find out what it would do at 260bhp so a SPEC III and a PG LSD went in.

kanujunkie

i wouldn't have minded if i had a turbo kit fitted, but thats still in the future, the drip drip method of working on the wife for one hasn't resulted in one yet  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: