Corky's plate is here!

Started by jonytom, September 21, 2005, 20:10

jonytom

Corky's plate arrived from the US today (hooray). Apparently it was the last GB on Spyderchat for these (phew). Can't wait to fit it and see what difference it makes to the handling.

Anyone painted theirs? What did you use? Corky was going to powdercoat it before shipping, but had "a few problems".
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

Anonymous

Posts on Spyderchat have mentioned truck bedliner paint, but I just did mine in a Rustoleum Black.  As I won't be driving during the winter months (lots of snow and salt here in Michigan), I'm not really worried about corrosion + Corky stated he's experienced very little corrosion after years of use.  I fitted mine today and immediately noticed a stiffening of the chassis and less rattling of the soft top against the latch.  Installation was about 10 minutes after I got the car on the hoist, the right tools and "re-clipped" the hoses.  So far, I'm very pleased.

Tem

Quote from: "drobbs"I'm not really worried about corrosion + Corky stated he's experienced very little corrosion after years of use.

Isn't it aluminum? That doesn't really corrode, not like iron anyway. The surface won't stay shiny, but turns matt, but that's about it. Since you can't really see it, unless you flip the car, it shouldn't matter  s8) 8) s8)

For comparison, we have aluminum engine without any paint or coating and I don't think anyone has seen theirs rust, have they?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "drobbs"I'm not really worried about corrosion + Corky stated he's experienced very little corrosion after years of use.

Isn't it aluminum? That doesn't really corrode, not like iron anyway. The surface won't stay shiny, but turns matt, but that's about it. Since you can't really see it, unless you flip the car, it shouldn't matter  s8) 8) s8)

For comparison, we have aluminum engine without any paint or coating and I don't think anyone has seen theirs rust, have they?
They are made from Ali and I have left mine uncoated.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

jonytom

Thanks everyone.

I live near to the highest town in England - Consett. We see quite a bit of snow here, but nothing compared to Michigan and Finland!!!!

Will skip the painting and fit this weekend.
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

Anonymous

Corky lives in northern Ohio and they probably put almost as much salt on the roads as we do in Michigan.  And although aluminum won't corrode like steel, it still oxidizes and looses it's original finish.  I think Corky stated he bead blasted the finished plates.  And yes, it is under the car which no-one will see unless you flip, but that isn't the point...... you always want to be prepared just in case.  Image is (almost) everything!Plus, don't you want your mechanic to be impressed?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

jonytom

Just fitted this afternoon. Amazing! All the positive things that have already been said about this are spot on, particularly the improved feedback from the car.

Anonymous

mine was powdercoated by corky, very nice. Glad you like it, it makes a fantastic difference.

Tags: