As autumn winter approaches!!!

Started by ninjinski, September 24, 2005, 23:56

ninjinski

Will we expect better, faster car performance as the temperature drops over next 6 months or so?  

Any idea how radical this will be? Reason I ask is because F1 coverage on ITV have been mentioning such things!!
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

proeliator2001

I think you can get about 1% power increase for every 3 or 4 deg C decrease in ambient temperature due to increased air density as long as the fuel/air mixture adapts to it.  If you went from a 25 deg C day to a 5 deg C day I'd say you'd notice the increased power but gradually, as the days cool down, I don't think you'd notice it that much.  Re F1, 1% of 900 bhp is a lot more than 1% of 138  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Taken from the web -

density of air

The density of air, ρ (Greek: rho) (air density), is the mass per volume of Earth's atmosphere, and is a useful value in aeronautics. In the SI system it is measured as the number of kilograms of air in a cubic meter (kg/m3). At sea level and at 20 °C dry air has a density of approximately 1.2 kg/m3. varying with pressure and temperature. Air density and air pressure decrease with increasing altitude.

Effects of temperature and pressure

The formula for the density of air is given by:

rho = frac{p}{R cdot T}

where ρ is the air density, p is pressure, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

The individual gas constant R for dry air is:

R_{dry air} = 287.05 frac{mbox{J}}{mbox{kg} cdot mbox{K}}

Therefore:

* At standard temperature and pressure (0 °C and 101.325 kPa), dry air has a density of ρSTP = 1.293 kg/m3.
    * At standard ambient temperature and pressure (25 °C and 100 kPa) dry air has a density of ρSATP = 1.168 kg/m3.
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

Anonymous

But don't forget that the weather is going to change for the slippery stuff, that extra 1% might well be enough to break traction and have you parking the car arse end first through a fence   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I'll lose the 1% in favor of keeping it on the black stuff   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

Quote from: "ninjinski"Will we expect better, faster car performance as the temperature drops over next 6 months or so?

Haven't you ever noticed how much faster the car is around 0C than on a hot summerday?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  The difference is VERY clear.

Even more so if you have a turbo.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I've noticed that when i'm driving late at night in the fog, it seem to run smoother. may be the same theroy

Tem

Quote from: "rudds23"I've noticed that when i'm driving late at night in the fog, it seem to run smoother. may be the same theroy

Same thing and that's pretty much what you'd get on a hot/dry day with water injection  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

always feels like you're trying to drive thru syrup to me on a hot summers day, slow pickup and all that, at 0degC it just feels free'er to me, no syrup

technical eh!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  , think my brain went to mush on the beach
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: