Strut Brace

Started by Anonymous, September 30, 2005, 08:49

Anonymous

ill apologise now but love cars but done know antything about the mechanics side of it.

Do all cars come with a strut brace and what does it do?

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

dreambackup

they (MR Spyders) come with a basic rear strut brace and no front strut brace.

there are a lot of models available. cheap and... well, let's say expensive ones.

I guess everybody will agree to say TRD's is the best (and not the cheapest).

it'll make your car more rigid, the steering wheel much more attached to the wheels... I think it's a must if you lower it or change for sport suspensions. it's still a good idea if you stay "stock".
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

GSB

Its simply a bar that joins the 2 suspension towers together under the front bonnet. The benefit of this is that the rigidity of the chassis is improved, which makes the car handle bumps better, and turn with more precision. Its a very-very worthwhile mod.

On your car, I would really urge you get one, as the difference it amkes is huge. Also, you should invest in a set of member braces for the front and rear, and an antiflex plate. These are all devices that Toyota has steadily added to car itself over the last couple of years, and on my old 2001 MR2, the difference that they made to the car was like night and day.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

cool, my garage has told me that my car is getting front and rear strut braces added before i collect it   s:o :o s:o )

Anonymous

Really? That's interesting... If they've told you that, make sure it does have them before you accept it though.  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

i take it they woldnt usually do that?

kanujunkie

nope, they look like this BTW

these are the TRD ones on mine

[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

roger

Also, for the front strut brace you either have to dispose of the compartment cover, or somebody has to do some carefull "modification" to it to allow the tops of the struts to come through and be attached to the bar.

I would be surprised if a garage would do this, but they might, to sell a car   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

So if the deal hangs on this, as Dan (Ekona) said check it all out carefully before you sign up / take it over.

<edit> as you can see from Stu's pictures - took me 10 minutes to finish the post! </edit>
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

kanujunkie

keep an eye on ebay though, i picked a new cover up for £31 delivered  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"Also, you should invest in a set of member braces for the front and rear, and an antiflex plate. These are all devices that Toyota has steadily added to car itself over the last couple of years, and on my old 2001 MR2, the difference that they made to the car was like night and day.

where is the best / cheapest place to get all these parts??

roger

Quote from: "kanujunkie"keep an eye on ebay though, i picked a new cover up for £31 delivered  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

IMO that price was a bit jammy!

I've been keeping my eye since you got yours, phoned emailed all the "selling bits" posters as well; nothing   s:? :? s:?  Even tried some scrappies (and Adam before you say). I've had a couple come back "sorry, its broken", obviously front end crashes!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Roger, if you mean the entire frunk plastics (except the actual box that hold the spare wheel), then you're welcome to have mine for a small donation to club funds. I certainly don't want them anymore, so PM me if you're interested.

Anonymous

thanks for the pics and words of wisdom guys, ill check this when collect the car

cheers

loadswine

I didn't realise just how good the front strut brace was till I fitted my Cusco brace yesterday to my 2000MY 2. Already had a very good antiflex plate from LM Corse in Italy, but the strut brace makes the steering and ride so much better IMHO. Faster and smoother turn in too. Just want to keep driving it now.  s:D :D s:D
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

I picked up a TRD front strut brace on ebay for £52 including delivery. Notice a slight difference with stock suspention but after its lowered you notice a big difference with cornering

kanujunkie

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"keep an eye on ebay though, i picked a new cover up for £31 delivered  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

IMO that price was a bit jammy!

I've been keeping my eye since you got yours, phoned emailed all the "selling bits" posters as well; nothing   s:? :? s:?  Even tried some scrappies (and Adam before you say). I've had a couple come back "sorry, its broken", obviously front end crashes!

IMO its more than jammy, still goes to prove there are still some bargains to be had out there
[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

IMO driving the 2 sometimes seems more like Skiing than driving the way you can carve your turns out.

Anonymous

hi guys, well got the car and its great, i got the back strut brace, well the bit that looks like a big X, didnt get that pole that seems to go along the bottom, and didnt get the front.  this wasnt part of the deal but just someone the guy was trying to get for me.

so how much can i pick up a decent front and back strut brace for?

SimonC_Here

The big X is bog standard bracing.

Ebay seems a good place for front struts, but there are plenty of other places selling them.

Including here!

Buying and selling

Simon

Tags: