Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S03

Started by Anonymous, October 4, 2005, 17:11

Anonymous

Where can I get these from at a good price? Have already tried mytyres with no luck. Anybody have any idea what sort of ballpark price I'd be looking at. Just trying to work out how much extra it will be to go with Yoko Advans instead - if Advans are not much more I'll probably go with them.

Anonymous

spit

Russ, give Blackcircles a shout - the website can be glitchy, so go straight through to customer service (0845 2000022) and haggle.

These guys helped me track down the last F1's in the country. They'll have the SO3s for sure.

They also do discount for Owners Clubs - may be worth sounding this out for MR2ROC?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Thanks guys - soz for the late reply, I've been majorly busy all week and this is the first chance I've had to go online again. I'll have a look and let you know what I find.  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Checked overall cost for 4 tyres on etyre, which comes in at about £383. A set of four Advans from elise parts comes in at £350, although that doesn't include fitting so both prices will be about the same. I think that makes my mind up - Advans it is  s:D :D s:D

jonytom

Looking forward to hearing what you think of the Neovas. I was seriously tempted by these (and even more by the A048s!!!) but thought I'd try the F1s first - saving money for other mods.

Let's see some before and after PMDs, once you've worn them in.
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

Anonymous

Are they that much lighter than RE040s, enough to make a difference on a PMD?

jonytom

I was thinking more in terms of traction - I think people generally underestimate the difference tyres can make in terms of straight-line acceleration.
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

Anonymous

I had no issues with rear wheel traction at any time when performing a PMD so IMHO I can't see they will be any better in this respect. More likely the slight difference in rolling circumference will be the biggest factor but I don't think that will be very significant. I'm more interested in how they are around bends.

Anonymous

Just ordered them (cackles uncontrollably)  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

spit

Go for it Russ. Any chance of a spin when you get 'em?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

What sizes are we talking about, if I may?

Anonymous

Yeah Spit - no worries. Size wise we're talking stock 03-on sizes but about 10mm wider all round: 195/50R15 front and 225/45R16 rear. Note, with VAT price comes in at about £411 and then I'll need about £20 for fitting. Still not a massive amount compared to some other performance options and although Proxes get a good writeup by a number of people, I'd rather go for something with stiffer sidewalls. My RE040s held up really well at Elvington with stock pressures - there was no wear creeping past the sidewall markers.

Anonymous

Just got the Advans fitted - £60 cash. Very slippery at the mo as still lots of release agent and now it's just started lobbing it down. I'll wait until later until it's drier and I can scrub them in properly.

Good job I turned up early to collect the car as tyres were all on wrong. Rotation and front to rear was OK but inwards was facing outwards on all tyres. Basically, with these, only one tyre out of a set of four will fit each corner. Worth checking if you get any fitted becuase it's easy to get them wrong.

Will report back how they feel later  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

You're going to love them.

Anonymous

After spending a good few hours on Cheshire's finest backroads I can confirm that I do love them.

There's been a lot of wet weather recently and driving in these conditions has shown that the Advans have more grip than the RE040s that are sitting in the spare bedroom waiting for the next track day to totally finish them. I think that the biggest factor though is confidence. You can feel exactly how much grip you have left. The degree of slip is perfectly linear as you push the tyres harder and harder. I would say it is this factor more than anything that allows you to push these tyres much harder than the stock ones.

In the dry the tyres are the same - excellent feedback and they really do feel keyed into the tarmac rather than the skating feeling of the RE040s. Grip levels are much better than stock and you now really have the confidence to lean on all that available grip when pushing the car hard around bends. The best way I can think of describing the difference is that where the RE040s are your low cost stereo with push-button volume adjustment, the Advans are your best seperates amplifier with a very precisely resolved rotary volume knob. This allows very finely judged adjustments to proceedings whereas if you hold the volume button just that little bit too long things can get that bit louder than perhaps you intended.

When the rear lets go now it feels as though it's happening in slow motion - this means that rather than something to be afraid of, it's something that you seek out and attempt to master.

These tyres are good - they make you believe you are Alonso even if you aren't. Just don't get carried away.

Tags: