Replacing Pre-cats

Started by ChrisHumes, October 5, 2005, 07:34

ChrisHumes

Could someone answer the following please and tell me what part these replace. I assume that the TRD replaces jsut the Pre-cats and the other the whole lot (is precats and main cat??

PPE Header + Hi Flo cat?

and

TRD Exhaust Manifold?

Thanks

Tem

The precats are in the stock manifold. TRD manifold replaces just those.

PPE header also replaces the manifold, getting rid of the precats. If you take their high-flow cat as well, you will obviously replace the main cat with it.

(header=manifold)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

ChrisHumes

thanks for the reply. so if you replace the cat etc, will the car pass the mot? i guess not?

Anonymous

If you are replacing the main cat (as opposed to removing it), you shouldn't have a problem with MOT.  The pre-cats exist for the American market to accommodate the stricter emission regulations.

In the UK, you should be fine with just a main cat.  I am sure someone without the pre-cats can confirm this.

Anonymous

sorry to jump on post, so rather than removing the pre-cats from stock manifol would it be easier to replace manifold?

jonytom

Not much easier and a lot more expensive.
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

Anonymous

does anyone know where i can get a disscounted mainfold (or a site that sells them?), becuause i want to get rid of the pre-cats, but want another alternative than cutting the existing ones out. thanx

spit

Occasional checks in the forum's "Buying & Selling" section and EBay are always worth a look.

I have a couple of stock manifolds up for grabs (one with, one without). Not quite ready to post them up just yet - give me a few weeks.....
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tem

Quote from: "Emmanuel"The pre-cats exist for the American market to accommodate the stricter emission regulations.

In the UK, you should be fine with just a main cat.  I am sure someone without the pre-cats can confirm this.

The precats aren't just a US thing, they do affect euro emissions as well. If you take the full Euro 3 emission test, the precats have their place. Euro 3 test starts with a cold car and it measures all emissions from start, through simulated drive, till stop. The precats warm up very quickly and start working earlier than the main cat, making it a lot easier to pass this kind of test.

The sniffer that measures percentages at idle and +2000rpm on neutral can be passed even without the main cat  s8) 8) s8)  You won't see any difference without the precats.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Is that the new, stricter emissions test?  If it is, I thought the MR2 and Celica are being axed because they don't pass it anyway...   s:? :? s:?

Tags: