New MPG record (for me)

Started by mrsmr2, October 19, 2005, 15:24

mrsmr2

42.4 mpg.  

I had done 343 miles and the fuel guage hand was on the last small marker before the thicker empty mark.  Light still not on.  

Could have got maybe another 10-20 miles before the light came on and then maybe another 30 (possibly 40 at that mpg rate).

A potential 390 miles from a tank, eek.

This was thanks to long motorway journeys (100 miles or more) in busy traffic e.g. no more than 80 leptons per hour at any time.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

roger

Sorry Jason. Your record doesn't stand due to poor record keeping. Ross McWhirter would have been very disappointed in you.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

IMO the only way you can do an accurate read, always subject to your odometer's accuracy of course, is full to full. And OK I know you should never fill to the top because you might lose most of it in the filter, my stop point is the first "click" from the fuel pump.

Still I have never got any where near that! You must have got your very light feet on, or been in one of those interminable 40mph roadworks all day.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

mrsmr2

Eh?  I did do it full to full (that was how I calculated the 42.4 mpg).  I've got a spreadsheet of every fill up, MPG, average MPG, and a graph showing the ups and downs.  I can't think of a more accurate way to do it.

Average is 34 mpg as well.  

The rest was speculation of what the final range could have been.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

jonytom

Quote from: "mrsmr2"I've got a spreadsheet of every fill up, MPG, average MPG, and a graph showing the ups and downs.

Er, did you just say that out loud?
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

mrsmr2

Quote from: "jonytom"
Quote from: "mrsmr2"I've got a spreadsheet of every fill up, MPG, average MPG, and a graph showing the ups and downs.

Er, did you just say that out loud?

I know  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Anyway, if I can't be a saddo with my MR2, what can I be a saddo about   s:D :D s:D   ?

Jason

jonytom

My missus reckons we're all sad b*!%*!*s   s:D :D s:D
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

proeliator2001

You may be keeping a spreadsheet but the maths is out for range - 10.5 gallon tank = 445 miles, even better than your 390.  I've had a little over 400 come up on the trip, well down in the reserve of course, and 40 mpg for the trip.  It's a blinder of a touring car, just a same there is sod all room for stuff   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

aaronjb

Aw, I only get 35.99mpg on my daily run to work and back  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   s;) ;) s;)  (that's 261.5miles using 33.03ltr of fuel)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

darrenjuggins

Hi,

Thought I'd add my recent experience.

Due to a "cough" brush with the boy's in Blue, my speed has remained a little more controlled of late.

I constantly have the roof off and if it's up the air cons on.

My "Urban" / "Motorway" driving delivered before said brush, about 266 to the tank.

Now I've err slowed down a little, I'm returned about 327 before the light comes on, I was, err well shocked at this !

My previous best was about 320 on a really long run, but I'm well impressed with my new "urban" figures and I don't really take any longer to get anywhere.

Thought I'd just add my experience for the Air con users out there.

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

proeliator2001

I used to get 26 mpg out of my CTR and have slowed down a lot with the MR2 so am well pleased with a typical 33-36 mpg - the car is amazingly light on the fuel.  Should be exempt from congestion charges IMO   s:D :D s:D

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

roger

Quote from: "mrsmr2"Eh?  I did do it full to full (that was how I calculated the 42.4 mpg).  I've got a spreadsheet of every fill up, MPG, average MPG, and a graph showing the ups and downs.  I can't think of a more accurate way to do it.

Average is 34 mpg as well.  

The rest was speculation of what the final range could have been.

Jason

Sorry Jason, I didn't actually do any maths. No mention of filling it up, so I assumed you took the figures shown and kanoodled an mpg out of them.

By the way I am a great believer in not running the tank to nowt, so I never really know what I get from a tankful, but I am afraid I am also a bit of a saddo, I have a small program on my PDA that works out average mpg etc   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

kanujunkie

can anyone beat the other extreme, 122miles to a tank of super????
(got 43Litres in on the refill  s:? :? s:? )
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"can anyone beat the other extreme, 122miles to a tank of super????
Mine is bad but not that bad  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Been racing lately Stu  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

darrenjuggins

Stu - Why does 122 miles per tank not surprise me from you !!!!!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   !!! Drive it like you stole it comes to mind !!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Hey as long as you enjoy it, thats the main thing.

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"can anyone beat the other extreme, 122miles to a tank of super????

Blimey Stu - I think even Mark only managed to get as low as 110 miles to just less than a tank on the Elvington day, and he has a turbo to help matters (which, for half the morning, was running with no map - most of the fuel ended up as black soot on his bumper)!

Are you sure there isn't a hole in your fuel tank?  s:P :P s:P   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

*quickly hides the syphon tube*
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

mrsmr2

Quote from: "proeliator2001"You may be keeping a spreadsheet but the maths is out for range - 10.5 gallon tank = 445 miles, even better than your 390.  I've had a little over 400 come up on the trip, well down in the reserve of course, and 40 mpg for the trip.  It's a blinder of a touring car, just a same there is sod all room for stuff   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

The question here is how much extra there was.  The reserve amount has been discussed a few times here and I think it ranges from 30-50+.  I've never really tested it but have had gone 30 miles a couple of times since the light has come on.

I could have probably got more than I estimated - the 390 was pure speculation.  I've never got anywhere near putting 10.5 gallons back in so that figure is either wrong, or the reserve is very large.

Right, who is going to run their tank dry and then fills it to the maxto get a true figure?

Jason

proeliator2001

I've put over 45 litres into it, up to the neck, so the tank is at least 10 gallons in size.  If you are getting over 40 mpg you can safely see 400 miles on trip.

mrsmr2

Quote from: "proeliator2001"I've put over 45 litres into it, up to the neck, so the tank is at least 10 gallons in size.  If you are getting over 40 mpg you can safely see 400 miles on trip.

Good point.  The most I've put in is 43.54 (spreadsheet again) but, most have been under 40 litres.

The 43.54 litres would extrapolate to 409 miles at 42.48 mpg, and a theoretical 446 miles for the full 10.5 gallons.

Jason

kanujunkie

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Mine is bad but not that bad  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Been racing lately Stu  s:?: :?: s:?:

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

mrsmr2

Lowest so far is 19.01mpg (Bruntingthorpe track day).

Jason

Anonymous

Also guilty   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

My recorded max fill up was 45.37l (approx 9.98 gallons). I don't think you can get much more in to be honest. I have run the car dry and I think it was at about the 10 gallon mark. It happened when I was driving up a steep hill so maybe there were a few drops left!

Current average mpg = 37.08
Highest, 40.3mpg. Lowest, 34.3 mpg.

James

roger

AFAIAA we don't have a reserve tank (somebody could confirm otherwise), if so the light is just an electronic indicator that shows a certain level of fuel.

How its set or works, I don't know, but I guess its not that accurate   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

As to taking it empty, I'll let you do that Jason, I'm not too keen having to clean out my injectors   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Also found this when I was looking for a reserve tank. see (e)

2. FOR VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A CATALYTIC CONVERTER
CAUTION:
If large amount of unburned gasoline flows into the converter, it may overheat and create a fire hazard.
To prevent this, observe the following precautions and explain them to your customer.
(a) Use only unleaded gasoline.
(b) Avoid prolonged idling.
Avoid running the engine at idle speed for more than 20 minutes.
(c) Avoid spark jump test.
(1) Perform spark jump test only when absolutely necessary. Perform this test as rapidly as possible.
(2) While testing, never race the engine.
(d) Avoid prolonged engine compression measurement.
Engine compression tests must be done as rapidly as possible.
(e) Do not run engine when fuel tank is nearly empty.
This may cause the engine to misfire and create an extra load on the converter.
(f) Avoid coasting with ignition turned off.
(g) Do not dispose of used catalyst along with parts contaminated with gasoline or oil.
Roger

roger

Quote from: "jonytom"My missus reckons we're all sad b*!%*!*s   s:D :D s:D

Thats why I do most of my posting from work - been slow this week   s8) 8) s8)
Roger

mrsmr2

OK, 392 miles from my last tank.  47.5 miles were driven with the light on.  The needle was low by the end (below the final thick marker) but there was no sign of hesitancy.

42.00 mpg.

I put in 42 litres when I filled up so there were 5 litres left in the tank.  I fill until the pump starts to click off a few times so I don't know how much of the 5 litres was left in the tank and how much of it was empty space I leave when I fill up.  Either way I was getting close to max range (maybe another 20 miles left).

Jason

Tags: