Advice On Tyre Widths....

Started by Anonymous, October 23, 2005, 19:59

Anonymous

I know tyres and wheels and sizes etc have all been covered in great detail but can anyone offer me any ideas or views on the following please:

Is it ok to run front and rear tyres of just one width difference? ie: 195 fronts with 205 rears, or 205 fronts with 215 rears etc etc... That's instead of the factory difference of two widths ie: 185 fronts and 205 rears.

Would it be enough to induce 'hedge finding' handling or not or is that only caused by tyres of exactly the same width?

Cheers,

Steve.

Tem

Quote from: "SteveM"I know tyres and wheels and sizes etc have all been covered in great detail

You're right, should've used the search  s;) ;) s;)

QuoteIs it ok to run front and rear tyres of just one width difference? ie: 195 fronts with 205 rears

I do. Many do. Most like it more than the stock 185/205.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

if i remember rightly ours are 195/215's
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks for your views Tem. I must say though I would have thought a few more people would have had an opinion on this or could have offered some advice? Never mind...  s:( :( s:(

markiii

all personal preference.

I wouldn't if I didn't have too, but if teh tyres i wanted required it, I wouldn't be worried.

I seem to rememeber mph actually preffered it that way on track.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Thanks for that Mark, it's pretty much what I thought you might say. I think I have the same current set up as you ie: factory 16" rears on the back and factory 15" rears on the front, with 215/40 and 195/50 tyres?

I'd still like to change the wheels though, ideally to something lighter and in the same sizes or maybe 16" all round, hence the question. The problem is though as I'm sure you know finding something that is light which comes in the right widths and offets is almost imposible!   s:( :( s:(  

Steve.

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"all personal preference.

Exactly. It gives more grip to the nose, which can be good or bad. Depends from the driver I suppose.

It reduces the understeer, which is basically a good thing. But it also means that once you're on the limit of front tyres, the rear is closer to its limit as well and it's easier to lose it.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Thanks Tem that makes sense to me, I'll have to give it some more thought.

Tags: