Fitting My New Exhaust

Started by leon_in_uk, October 24, 2005, 09:45

leon_in_uk

Hi guys,

tried searching on here and only found the twin fitting page. i have just brought a single pipe, (a 2 piece exhaust) just wondering how to fit it??

is it going to be hard, do i need to buy anything extra?

thanks guys, oh and i will post the pic up in a bit,
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

leon_in_uk

Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

kanujunkie

no its a piece of p**s. just follow the instructions on bumper removal in the articles section, then remove the black heatshield followed by the old exhaust. Piece of advice though, spray up the bolts(penetrating oil) at the disconnect points on the exhaust and cat for a few days before you do this job as they can be bastards. then whip it all out and reverse the process on fitting. Not a hard job this one, just time consuming and messy. You'll need a second pair of hands to remove the outer bodywork BTW, just for saftey, not essential though
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

leon_in_uk

oh right so not that hard, do i need to buy all new bolts etc?

also could i do it if i knew nothing about mechanics?

and how long do you think i need to make on the weekend?

cheers
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

spit

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"oh right so not that hard, do i need to buy all new bolts etc?

also could i do it if i knew nothing about mechanics?

and how long do you think i need to make on the weekend?

cheers

Stu's preparation advice and potted instructions above pretty much cover it. Plus-Gas works really well to soak bolts overnight after you're parked up, cooled down and positioned for the install. Make sure you get all bumper bolts removed - I missed two that weren't clearly mentioned in a thread  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  (*edit - but K'junkie's instructions under "articles" is complete)

I'd advise getting new bolts for the Cat compensation joint as the old ones could be a bit snarly - by no means essential though. Gaskets are handy to have if you don't have them, or a tube of Firegum-type exhaust joint sealant.

Take time to sort out the alignment of the new exhaust relative to the bumper- the stock rubber mounts allow for a fair bit of tweaking.

As for being mechanically minded, its not such a big deal, provided you have access to decent tools. eg Hex impact sockets rather than the "star-shaped" sockets you get with many socket sets can save you on rounded heads and bleeding knuckles! Just take it slow & steady.

Without probs, I'd say you can have this done comfortably in 2 hours, but if you're new to it, you might want to take time for a poke around, and save some time by doing the bumper removal before going to bed!

Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

kanujunkie

Spit, what bolts weren't clearly mentioned and i'll alter the write up?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

Quote from: "kanujunkie"Spit, what bolts weren't clearly mentioned and i'll alter the write up?
Oops mea culpa. The article is correct, I was referring to instructions buried in an old thread somewhere. Now that I've discovered how to open articles I'll go straight to the definitive (article) from now on   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Previous post edited
Ste

leon_in_uk

do i need to buy gaskets???!?!

my step dad reckons i need some new gaskets?

if i do where do i get them from?

also do i get normal bolts from focus etc.?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

edward.carter

just go to toyota and they will sort you out with new bolts and gaskets, just tell them which ones you want

leon_in_uk

do i ahve to have them.. also how much do you think they will be?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

edward.carter

gaskets are about £9-10 and each bolt is something like 50-60p each i think. you may aswell definately the bolts if they are nicely rusted up and for the sake of a tenner might as well chuck a new gasket on to prevent any leaks

leon_in_uk

how many gaskets do i need? 1 for each joint?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

edward.carter

i think if you went to toyota parts desk and said you were replacing your exhaust they could tell you what gaskets you will need.

Tem

Please check the Spydermagazine article:
 m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/July ... t-info.htm m

Tells you what you'll probably need, part numbers and prices (USD).
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

check the link on the precat meetings for gaskets and p/n's, you'll need the same ones
[size=100]Stu[/size]

leon_in_uk

hi there again, just rung toyota... and ordered my parts...

cat to exhaust manifold nuts x3
cat to exhaust manifold studs x3
cat to exhaust manifold gaskets x2..

£16.50 inc VAT

is that reasonable?

the list also states i may need

cat to muffler gasket?!?! - £7.70
cat to muffler bolts x2
cat to muffler springs x2..

i am inspecting these parts if i need them tho..

so they should get me sorted shouldnt they folks??

oh and likely to do on my own on the weekend.. with no knowledge   s:? :? s:?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Tem

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"the list also states i may need

cat to muffler gasket?!?! - £7.70
cat to muffler bolts x2
cat to muffler springs x2..

Yes, you have to open those, but the gasget is reusable and those bolts/springs aren't that easy to break. You probably won't need any of those.

markiii

tru,

but get the bolts anyway, they rust like a bastard and every one I've tried to replace over teh years has been a nightmare.

best to save te hassle and use new bolts.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"they rust like a b*****d and every one I've tried to replace over the years has been a nightmare

You mean the cat to muffler bolts as well?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

leon_in_uk

do i need to buy these then???
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

markiii

yes to both Tem and Leon.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

leon_in_uk

so £16.70 at mo...

just rung up and said the bolts are £5.62 each.

also says on list they are not likely to replace?

i am going to inspect 1st...

what rip offs just for bolts
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

leon_in_uk

hi guys got all parts...

gaskets 3 nuts + screws etc.

going to fit today....

looked at the bolts etc and might only need a 14" socket wont i? + other minor tools? although the screws are star shaped..

what tools will i need?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

spit

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"what tools will i need?

The spydermag article that Tem refers to carries good tips.

In terms of tools I find that where sockets are needed its a lot easier to use Hex impact-type sockets (six sided) rather than the 12-sided ones you get in some socket sets - you get a more positive grip & avoid rounding of heads.

Extension bars are also handy to get access to the bolts - you should have these in any good socket set.

Socket set with 1/2" drive is much more up to the job than a 3/8". Torque wrench is optional but it you have one its also good for extra leverage and "popping" old nuts loose.

Disassembly will probably be the hardest part - a squirt of PlusGas on the old bolts can help to ease them.

An old screwdriver that you don't care much about is useful for prising off the exhaust mounting rubbers - watch your fingers!

Only other tip that springs to mind is to get good ground clearance so there's plenty of wrenching room - and MOST IMPORTANT: make sure the car is safely supported before crawling in there.

Good luck
Ste

leon_in_uk

thanks spit your a star....

i have no ramps, just 2x jacks. can i use them?

also what sort of time should i estimate on my own, and just the guide off here? i am starting at 1.30 when i get home..

ta
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Tags: