Intake:
- C-One side vent covers
- Modified side vent (inside fender)
- Short section of 3" heater hose
- BCH tube, modified for thinner vanes and to eliminate bottom blockage
- Injen 2.75 intake curved sections

Engine Management, Sensors, and other Electronics:
- Apex'i Power FC
- HP TR3000 tablet PC for tuning, record/replay, virtual gauges, GPS, etc.
- USB FC-Datalogit
- USB Delorme GPS receiver
- USB dual axis accelerometer
- USB analog and digital I/O
- Innovate LC-1 wideband O2
- Bosch oil temperature sender
- Oil pressure sender

Rev limit set to 9300.  Whee!

Slacey

Congrats Kevin, it's nice to see it finally done - and what a good looking conversion, too!
It would have been rather tempting if LR lived over here  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

That is nothing less than a work of art. Congratulations Beanie, that's one of the most impressive set-ups yet (and it has to be one of the most fun, too!).  s:D :D s:D

Jap GT300

That is very tidy.  I showed my g/f's dad a picture of my install once and he thought it was a toolbox   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Have you actually hit lift yet?  The first time is absolutely amazing.  I think I will have to upgrade the valves to successfully lift the rev limit.

I've been messing around with some stubby down draft throttle bodies but I just can't get them to fit.  It is only a few mm's out.

spit

Quote from: "Jap GT300"That is very tidy.  I showed my g/f's dad a picture of my install once and he thought it was a toolbox   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Handy if you break down then Adam  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Beautifully engineered solution Beanie - looks great  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Must be fabulous to have that extended rev range in the '2 now. Enjoy it.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

kanujunkie

wow  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  thats sexy as hell, and as has already been mentioned the quality, second to none, nice install  s8) 8) s8)
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Can i tell you i'm jealous!? Congrats!

Anonymous

Yes, it looks, runs, and sounds fantastic.  The only things left to do are more tuning, connect the LC-1 to simulate the stock O2 sensor, and connect the oil temp. and pressure inputs to the Datalogit.  Well, I also have some more software to write.  I'm sure glad that Little Rocket did the conversion for me -- very pleased with how smoothly that went and the quality of work done.

Anonymous

Kevin that is awesome IMO.  Looks beautiful   s8) 8) s8)  
Now just go and push it.  Be careful though it is a whole different animal.  The car is more controllable if you rev it up and keep the revs there   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Here is how mine looked when it was at its best aestetically.  Now with the intake showing it looks worse IMO.

Anonymous

Do you have the member braces installed?  I was getting some clunking noises and indications are that a tab on the lower right rear corner of the engine was hitting the member brace.  I cut the tab off.  Hopefully that will take care of it.  I don't want to have to take off the braces that came on this '03 US model.

heathstimpson

Very nice job indeedy Beenie; what are you charging for conversions   s:?: :?: s:?:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "Beanie"Do you have the member braces installed?  I was getting some clunking noises and indications are that a tab on the lower right rear corner of the engine was hitting the member brace.  I cut the tab off.  Hopefully that will take care of it.  I don't want to have to take off the braces that came on this '03 US model.

I don't have the rears on but I don't think it should be much of a problem.  Later I will try to find a picture of the Techno Pro Spirti MR-S from the underside and see how they did it.  IIRC they have the TRD bracing.  Might be a problem with the 03 bracing since it is connected differently than the TRD.  Also I have TRD enginemounts and most of the guys with the 2ZZ have solid mounts which will make the engine move around much less.

Anonymous

I bought the urethane mount inserts, but thought there would be too much vibration throughout the car and sold them.  I think the up/down movement (or rotation about the crank) isn't going to be a problem as long as there is not much side-to-side movement.  143hawaii said he filled the side mounts with 3M Window Weld.  Too bad I didn't think of that when the engine was out.  Maybe there is a way to do it with it in.  I also wonder if I could move the member brace over a bit... or convince it to move over in the middle.

Anonymous

Solid mounts make a nice difference in feel and reduce wheel hop a lot.  With the TRD mounts vibration is barely an issue and only at idle you can feel a difference vs the stock mounts

Anonymous

Someone on Spyderchat asked for a sound clip and I thought you folks might like to hear the song, too.  It's kind of faint.  Sorry.  I'll do another when I get a chance and replace this one.

Right-click and save target as:  http://home.comcast.net/~kevinbeane/A2ZZ.wav

This was as follows:

Clip starts at low RPM in 2nd
Accelerating at part throttle, shifting into 3rd
Accelerating at part throttle for a bit
Flooring it (between 9 and 10 seconds into it)
Hitting lift at about 12 seconds in
Keeping it to the floor in 3rd and shifting at somewhere around 8000 (wimpy)
Back to the floor and accelerating in 4th for a while
Let off completely and put the clutch in
Braked to a fairly quick stop
Microphone moved towards end (I think I hit with my arm when I reached over to click Stop).
Engine was just idling by that time

Top was down, windows up, cheesy microphone stuck in between passenger seat and center armrest.  There's a lot of wind noise.  It sounds a LOT louder and better in real life.  Next time I'm going to put the microphone behind the deflector or something to reduce wind noise.

Tem

Quote from: "Beanie"Top was down, windows up, cheesy microphone stuck in between passenger seat and center armrest.  There's a lot of wind noise.  It sounds a LOT louder and better in real life.  Next time I'm going to put the microphone behind the deflector or something to reduce wind noise.

You have an external mic, right? I got great sound by putting it in the engine bay, barely no wind noises at all, just the sounds that matter  s8) 8) s8)  Mine was just duct taped to the battery, cause I wanted to catch the BOV, but you might wanna try it around...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Not really.  I wasn't using my camcorder (no external mic, but there's a jack for one).  I was using a cheapie PC mic connected to a tablet PC.  It may reach into engine bay, but first I'll try taping it behind the wind deflector with some foam around it.  I'd like to capture the top-down sound.

Anonymous

Here are 2 very small vids that I made with my mobile phone.  Your should sound similar though it might be different since I have different hardware   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

m http://www.zzw30.com/Vids/575G0002.mp4 m
 m http://www.zzw30.com/Vids/575G0003.mp4 m

Anonymous

Those are wild, CIN.  You were the first, weren't you?   What exhaust is that???

I tried the mic taped to the back of the wind deflector... lots of wind noise still.  Inside the engine bay it didn't sound natural.  Ah well, if you want to hear a 2ZZ-GE powered MR2 Roadster up close and personal you'll have to get a ride with someone who has one.  It isn't just the sound, of course, but you can tell a lot about what is happening.

Jap GT300

I believe Joseph had the Techno Pro Titanium Exhaust.    s8) 8) s8)  

I'm now usng the kakimoto and the sound is awesome.  I had the TTE before and it really did muffle a lot of noise

Anonymous

That is correct  s:) :) s:)
It is a straight through so it is hella loud when you open it up.  Cruising it is pretty civilized.

Anonymous

BTW kevin I think the best place to put the mic is on the dash in front of the steering wheel   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Oh and I had a super nice sounding exhaust before I got this one.  It was a 3inch design but apart from sound it did nothing good.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

You can see a bit of my setup here.  

Jap GT300

When you removed the charcoal cannister did you leave it open to atmosphere?

Tags: