New turbo kits

Started by spit, November 10, 2005, 19:38

spit

I called Peter at Thor yesterday to get an ignition harness, but they've just used their last one..... on a turbo '2 install. Great to see some more FI options for the 1-zz platform hitting the market ..... and an installation service too. We'll all be flying soon  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Details and pics......

Stage 1: http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/MRS_Turbo_Stage_1_Kit-MRSTS1_Kit.asp
Stage 2: http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/MRS_Turbo_Stage_2_Kit-MRSTS2_Kit.asp
Stage 3: http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/MRS_Turbo_Stage_3_Kit-MRSTS3_Kit.asp
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

markiii

looks good bar 2 things

don't like the 02 placement.

can't beleive theyve reused teh stock rubber intake plumbing to te throttle body.

having seen how much that swells under boost it's only a matter of time before it splits.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

I agree with Mark - the O2 sensor placement is questionable, and reusing the rubber intake tract is a very bad idea IMO - when we fitted my Hass the hard IC pipe that connects to the TB was missing so we rigged it up using the stock rubber piece. Even at a standstill and revving the engine caused it to blow up like a balloon, and once the engine bay was warm the rubber got softer and the problem got worse  s:? :? s:?  

If Pete or Nod lurk on here I would be interested to hear their thoughts. On the plus side though it's a nice neat kit, the manifold looks a great design and the tune will be top notch  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Interesting...

That's yet-another completely different take on turbo'ing a '2. It would have been nice to have seen the three different set-ups in their entirety (instead of the Stage 3 kit with bits not yet installed), and a mention of how much power they expect the kit to make.

I'd like to know more about that 25/28 hybrid turbo as well.

LeeUK

Quote from: "markiii"can't beleive theyve reused the stock rubber intake plumbing to te throttle body.

Doesn't the C2 power re-use the rubber intake piping?
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Anonymous

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Ste, is this true?

LeeUK

[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Anonymous

Apparently it is. Should be interesting in the future... Although Spynish hasn't had any problems so far, it must be said.

Anonymous

that muffler looks tiny. and isn't that a pretty small turbo to be running on the car. it sounds equivilant to the Pe turbo.

Anonymous

That turbo is almost exactly what the Hass kit uses, except it's a 25/28 hybrid instead of a 'pure' 28.

spit

Quote from: "LeeUK"
Quote from: "markiii"can't beleive theyve reused the stock rubber intake plumbing to te throttle body.

Doesn't the C2 power re-use the rubber intake piping?

Quote from: "Ekona"Ste, is this true

oops sorry, I fell asleep for a moment!

Yes its true. I hadn't considered it as a potential problem, but will now. cheers guys   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

LeeUK

Would it be an easy job to just replace it with a samco hose? or is there other factors like T-offs?
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"don't like the 02 placement

Yeah, that probably sucks  s:? :? s:?  The TS kit comes with similar placement and it just doesn't work. The latter one keeps getting weird readings and the only way to make it work properly is to feed both signals from the same sensor...many have had an issue with this.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

spit

Quote from: "LeeUK"Would it be an easy job to just replace it with a samco hose? or is there other factors like T-offs?
No T-offs, so entirely possible. There is a blind U-bend on the side of the pipe but it doesn't go anywhere.

You guys are worrying me about the O2 sensors now too (*searches for the ostrich emoticon*)

spynish

Quote from: "Ekona"Apparently it is. Should be interesting in the future... Although Spynish hasn't had any problems so far, it must be said.

No probs with that so far...

spynish

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "markiii"don't like the 02 placement

Yeah, that probably sucks  s:? :? s:?  The TS kit comes with similar placement and it just doesn't work. The latter one keeps getting weird readings and the only way to make it work properly is to feed both signals from the same sensor...many have had an issue with this.

It may be the answer of my too rich CEL..  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:?: :?: s:?:

spynish

There may be another problem also...

MAF is located in reverse, 180 degrees...  s:? :? s:?

Tem

Quote from: "spynish"MAF is located in reverse, 180 degrees...  s:? :? s:?

Probably not an issue, as long as it's tuned for that, which I assume it is.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

yeh those O2 sensors are as bad as the PE kit. Banks are going to read lean when there not. This kit needs a re-think   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tags: