PERFORMANCE AIR FILTER

Started by Anonymous, November 12, 2005, 14:14

Anonymous

Hi,Guys/Girls
I have owned my roadster since new,2001 was the magic year.The longer I have had the car the more addictive it has become.I have completed a few mods recently,first I had the car lowered with Eibach springs,then had a custom exhaust fitted.The exhaust has twin exit pipes with 4" tips and makes a nice throaty sound.Last weekend myself and my brother (lucky for me he is a mechanic to trade) gutted the pre-cats.I can really feel a difference in the performance of my car with the exhaust work.I know i have probably just gained a few extra horses but my thoery is that this is noticeable in a small light roadster like ours.My next step is a performance air fillter then a Dastek unichip.Could anyone in the know recommend what would be the best air filter to fit?Thanks for any replies.
Dean

heathstimpson

If you would rather have performance rather that the 'sucking sound' I would recommend the drop in TRD panel filter and replacement H&S air inlet pipe sold through Markiii. I went this route and noticed a further improvement. After this I also added the Dastek Unichip  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY HITMAN.HOW DOES YOUR CAR FEEL,PERFORMANCE WISE WITH YOUR MODS COMPARED TO A STOCK 2?
WAS THE UNICHIP A BIG IMPROVEMENT?HOW MANY EXTRA HORSES DID THE CHIP GAIN YOU?

roger

Quote from: "deanmr2"THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY HITMAN.HOW DOES YOUR CAR FEEL,PERFORMANCE WISE WITH YOUR MODS COMPARED TO A STOCK 2?
WAS THE UNICHIP A BIG IMPROVEMENT?HOW MANY EXTRA HORSES DID THE CHIP GAIN YOU?

The inlet pipe and filter just make it sound nicer. You might be able to convince yourself its a bit faster, but unlikely to be correct.

The Unichip usually adds between 12 and 15HP.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

HI Roger,
Thanks for your reply,I'm still not sure about inlet pipe/performance filter as there seems to be a big divide on opinions about these mods,but I will definately be getting the unichip (Santa's a great guy).Did you get a dyno reading after chipping and if so what were the figures?

Cheers
             Dean.

kanujunkie

this is Liz's results

[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

roger

And this is mine

Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Dean,

is your bro in glasgow and if so, how much would he charge to gut my precats? i already have the gaskets by the way...

Richie.

heathstimpson

I think that the inlet pipe and drop in performance panle filter give a more usable improved performance throughout the rev range as the air flows better. The change of exhaust allows the air flow out to improve and the Unichip remaps to make the most of these improvements. That reminds me I must get mine on a rolling road as I'm still running the stock USA maps  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Richie,
            Sorry but my brother says he's too busy to do homers,family members only.I hope you can get someone to gut those pre-cats,lots of benifits and no down sides.

Dean

Anonymous

ahh well, cheers for getting back to me anyway mate.

Tags: