Exhaust or De Catt

Started by Anonymous, November 23, 2005, 12:40

Anonymous

Hi Folks, need some help checking about de cat but bit worried about emisssions check on MOT here in Ireland which I'm told is quite stringent. Was thinking about a H & S exhaust system in the New Year.

Ian Reeve from H & S quoted me £1050 for a full performance system manifold back with a quad output.

Now here is the really stupid question.

Will this then remove the need to gut the pre cat?

In other words is this a full exhaust system from engine back?
Also how do I know my car will then Pass the emissions test.

Anonymous

If it has a decat pipe which is what it sounds like, it will replace both main and pre-cats.

But, I don't see how it would pass an MOT without the main cat...  s:? :? s:?

roger

The pre-cats are in the manifold.

So if you are getting a manifold as well (didn't know he did those - can you provide more info?), then no de-catting required.

As to the main cat, this sits between the manifold and the exhaust. He may be re-using the old one or providing a new one. (or as Ian sys - he beat me - not using one at all)

Certainly this main cat is perfectly OK to cope with emissions in the UK by itself. If you are keeping it, or getting a new equivalent, I suggest it still will. If its one of H&S's own cats, you will have to ask Ian.

No idea what Eire emissions regs are, Steve (Ernie Ball) is de-gutted, so I assume he did his homework and it will be OK.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

kanujunkie

removing the pre-cats will not effect the emmisions on a hot engine, They are there to get the main cat up to operating temps quickly and to manage emmisions until the main cat is working. Hence these are not required. As for the main cat then be careful removeing this as it would cause a complete loss in back pressure on the engine, you may find that the torque curve is severly hampered. You can regain this with units such as the e-manage or PFC but this is another cost. If you want to look at an alternative then look at  w www.ppeengineering.com w  and look at there high flow cat and header, this will remove your pre-cats, then with a performance exhaust your ready to go
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Would I be better just buying the TTE Manifold mating it up with a stock cat and then a performance exhaust.

Has everyone just de-cated the manifold?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "kj"Would I be better just buying the TTE Manifold mating it up with a stock cat and then a performance exhaust.

loads of us have just de-cated the pre-cats in the manifold, were doing another batch on the 3rd, see the events section, not a hard job but definatly easier with air tools. As for the TRD manifold and the PPE one, well they would give you a performance increase but at a large cost, its all dependent on your finances and eventual level of performance that you want to achieve
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "kj"Would I be better just buying the TTE Manifold mating it up with a stock cat and then a performance exhaust.

TTE don't make a manifold

from teh sound of your system if it's manifold back that implies it doesn't include the manifold.

however for that price I'm thinking it miht because it's not cheap.

Emmision wise you won't pass with zero cats

Now as to teh backpressure issue having tried removing the main cat I can confirm that while it revs much better and is beter on top end you will lose a significant amount of torque at thebottom.

However thats because the stock exhaust design isn't designed to flow correctly with no cats.

If your new system has no cats but is designed that way from teh outset then torque shoudl not suffer, and as is teh case with teh PPE it may even improve.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ernie Ball

Mine's an Irish car with no precats.  I took the plunge after passing the NCT, which is the Irish version of the MOT.  I did it based on the assumption that the NCT is always carried out on a warm engine and the precats don't do anything on the emissions once the engine is warm.

Of course you could always just not bother getting the NCT.  Have you ever heard of anyone stopped   s:) :) s:)  or ticketed   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  for not having an NCT cert?  The enforcement on it is a joke.

That said, your insurance company might require it.  Mine did.

Anonymous

Only Problem is I have to get the car through the NCT again next may, I only took it through in July. Two  NCT's in 9 months bit of a joke. Think I might look at that PPE Header and Hi Flow Cat and maybe leave the H&S till later.

Tags: