door card speakers

Started by Anonymous, September 25, 2008, 23:06

Anonymous

Hi. I'm wanting to get away from the "down near your feet" sound of the original speaker location without going overboard.

I was thinking of sticking some 13cm speakers in the storage bins to make the sound more "around" me. However, as the seats are set to nearly touching the bins i was thinking of putting some small speakers in the door cards at the end near the occupants (as well as maybe some in the bins if necessary). Seems a good spot to get some sound up, but i don't know if there is enough space in the door panels. By my dodgy measurements i reckon 8cm speakers would be right, but the depth would have to be 3cm max, and i don't know if there are such slimline speakers.

Has anyone put any small speakers in the door cards, and if so, what make/model. Or is this just not going to work?
Will a couple of 13cm ones in the bins make the sound better, even if facing the back of the seats?

I'm not after thumping bass, or more power, just a sound not so directional that its obvious its all happening around your legs.
Also don't want to spend a a lot!! Any ideas anyone?

loadswine

I think you're after a better sound stage. You could probably get that effect your after with some decent quality component speakers with a good range of adjustment on the crossover network, that you can dial in to your taste. Something like the Alpine X series and others that give you a crossover with a wide range.
Additional speakers may help, or even make it worse, I don't know on that , as I've not tried it, but please be careful re the clearance , as it will probably be a bit tight to the window glass in the door card location.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Thanks for the info loadswine. I'll check out the Alpine X speakers.
Looks like no one else has any experience of fitting speakers in the door card area, so i'll just look at putting some in the bins.

Tags: