Instrument Light Dimmer Switch

Started by Anonymous, February 3, 2004, 15:51

Anonymous

Anybody else bothered/managed to fit the instrument light dimmer switch as used on UK-spec cars, to a Jap-spec car?
The wiring manual shows connectors as first plugging into the dimmer switch, then leading on to the dash itself.
I wonder how it is connected up at present as the dimmer switch is not there, and whether the first plug is simply going straight to the dash, and if there are some wiring and plugs behind the dash which are just waiting to be connected up....
I have got my local dealer to order the dimmer switch, which is shown without any wiring harness, but for some reason the price doesn't show, just got to wait and see when it arrives, can't be too expensive (he wishfully thinks).

And can I get anywhere, a different instrument face kit for the Km version (which I obviously have), that will illuminate blue with the normal clear bulbs? It will have to have a blue screen behind, instead of the normal orange one. I just hate orange dash lights....
Anybody?

Anonymous

This was a pretty easy job and very worthwhile.

ZeroQI

Hi, long shot since you posted that nearly a decade ago but...
Got a 2003 MR-s and found a dimmer switch from uk speces post-lift car... is the cable to connect there by default ?
Can't find it on witing diagrams...
Toyota MR-S 2003 SMT 6-Speed Sable (matching hardtop, alloys) Red fabric Seats

StuC

Possibely not as clicking on the username display the following message...

"Information
The requested user does not exist."
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

ZeroQI

Ahhhh!!! Got the dimmer switch, looked behind the dashboard but there wasn't any free connector that would fit...
Not very cluttered there i must say... if anybody knows where the cable goes... tried to look at wiring diagrams but can't see it mentioned...

***EDIT*** Called "R 6 Rheostat" in workshop manual wiring diagram "01 - Electrical wiring routing"... seem to be in the wiring loom but can't see it...
***Edit 2 *** Connector B2 and C3 on "Combination Meter" seem to be the ones. still don't know where to go from there

m http://www.testroete.com/car/Toyota/mr2 ... 0METER.pdf m
 m http://www.testroete.com/car/Toyota/mr2 ... ist/01.pdf m
Toyota MR-S 2003 SMT 6-Speed Sable (matching hardtop, alloys) Red fabric Seats

Tags: