Stop the aerial coming up

Started by Anonymous, August 26, 2009, 20:12

Anonymous

Hi all,

I've just fitted a new stereo and attached the aerial remote lead, it's an Alpine stereo. Only problem is that the aerial always comes up regardless of whether I'm listening to the radio i.e when the ipod or CD is playing, is there a way to stop it like the factory fitted sony?

Many thanks,
Mark

Anonymous

Have you tried turning the AF/TA off?

Anonymous

I have tried turning off the TA but the aerial does nothing, the AF still stays illuminated on the header unit when I turn off the TA. The model I have an Alpine CDE-W203Ri. Am I being really dense?!?

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous

Both would need to be turned off for any chance of keeping aeriel down.

philster_d

If you used a wiring adapter thingy (ISO connector?)

Then you can simply tap into the remote aerial wire and add a switch. Then you can decide when it goes up and down.

hth

Phil

Anonymous

Just spoke to the shop who sold me it and it looks as if I will need to stick in a switch  s:-( :-( s:-(  Any suggestions on the best practice for this (type of switch and where to mount woule be good).

Mark

Anonymous

I have installed the ISO as part of it  :-) :-) :-)

philster_d

Easy then. Hopefuly your wires will be labelled, mine were.

If not then its not the end fo the world, because the connector is always the same so we can work it out.

It is as simple as cutting the wire and adding in 2 long bits of wire with a switch on the end. then put the switch wherever you want. Into the dash? reuse an existing switch? or even just on flying leads and tucked out of the way.

good luck,

Phil

Wabbitkilla

A few people have re-used the passenger window lockout switch for this ... it's a pretty pointless switch in the roadster anyway and doesn't mess your dash up
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Thanks all, I'll have a search on how best to hook it up to the window lock on here.

I'll let you know how I get on, and stick some pics up when the install is completely finished.

Gildor

I need to do this too so do please put up a 'how to' thread.   s:) :) s:)
The road goes ever on and on....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gildor"I need to do this too so do please put up a 'how to' thread.   s:) :) s:)

Will do  :-) :-) :-)

Tem

I don't really know anything about that unit, but basically units have two types of outputs.

1) Radio antenna output, which is only on when you're listening to radio (or have TA/similar on, which scan radio all the time)

2) Amplifier output, which is on whenever the unit is on.

Some have both, some have just another. Sometimes the #2 is wired into the stock loom antenna wire. You should check the manual to see what your unit offers, unless you already figured it out.  s8) 8) s8)

External switch is of course an option too, if you feel like playing with one..
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

furkh

Hey guys, i've just tried having a look at the ISO connector to see if my wre were labelled... of course, they are not... any idea which colour the wire is?? (or is that a stupid question as they vary...?) haha, help!
MR2 2000 - Silver with charcoal alloys, Pirelli tyres, 2006 Engine swap, pre-cats removed, kenwood ICE with all leathers. Next: induction kit and wider tyres.

Anonymous

Quote from: "furkh"Hey guys, i've just tried having a look at the ISO connector to see if my wre were labelled... of course, they are not... any idea which colour the wire is?? (or is that a stupid question as they vary...?) haha, help!

normally the remote power out is a blue wire.
yellow is live power
black earth
red ignition
then you will have 8 wires for the sound output, normally 4 colours say green and green with a line on it.
if you pull all of them out of the way you should be left with an orange wire for the light dim and i think it was brown for phone mute and the other wire will be the remote power.

richard

furkh

i've gone for the easier way of going under the bin at the back of the driver seat and disconnecting the motor. thanks for the advice mate!
MR2 2000 - Silver with charcoal alloys, Pirelli tyres, 2006 Engine swap, pre-cats removed, kenwood ICE with all leathers. Next: induction kit and wider tyres.

Tags: