Help please: what's this?

Started by Anonymous, September 29, 2011, 10:08

Anonymous

I found this lurking behind the passenger rear light assembly   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  . Any idea what it could be?

uktotty

CGS HSA50 50W, 27 Ohms Aluminum Power Resistor

trace it down to see what its connected to, not a standard part

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"trace it down to see what its connected to, not a standard part

Thanks. Will do   s:) :) s:)

Wabbitkilla

You will find it is connected to the heater circuit wires for the third O2 sensor as a work-around for the common P0141 error.
It's a common enough modification and nothing to worry about, in fact you'll probably find the resistor was bought through the club sometime in the past.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

uktotty

if that  is what it is, then its a very messy job! My resistor fix wass on  3" wire not 3m wire, Nic is probably right however

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"You will find it is connected to the heater circuit wires for the third O2 sensor as a work-around for the common P0141 error.
It's a common enough modification and nothing to worry about, in fact you'll probably find the resistor was bought through the club sometime in the past.

I noticed it during the summer, took a photo and forgot about it until viewing a thread on here recently regarding error codes, and O2 sensors for 2zz conversion, whereby i saw something looking very similar hence posting. Thanks for the help, I'll trace it back and see where it goes to try and confirm what it is.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "uktotty"if that  is what it is, then its a very messy job! My resistor fix wass on  3" wire not 3m wire, Nic is probably right however

Probably just like that so it's in fresh air if it get warm.
Each to their own, some people are messy, some people are not.
It's a quick, cheap, and dirty fix ... but it's still a fix.

Starfish, you will find it goes back to a plug which is fastened to the back of the coolant bottle.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"
Quote from: "uktotty"if that  is what it is, then its a very messy job! My resistor fix wass on  3" wire not 3m wire, Nic is probably right however

Starfish, you will find it goes back to a plug which is fastened to the back of the coolant bottle.

Ding! yep it goes to the coolant bottle. Your prize is another Q.   s:) :) s:)  

What is the P0141 error code.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Starfish"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"

P0141 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction, B1S2.

The heater circuit helps the O2 sensor work when it's cold, B1S2 is the O2 sensor after the CAT so all it's doing is monitoring for CAT efficiency - it's not involved in fuelling at all - therefore the quick & dirty fix for a broken heater is to 'emulate' the heater with a resistor of the correct rating.

Or, £60 or so and swap the O2 sensor out.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Or get a recycled one from me for £25 incl pnp.

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "Starfish"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Probably just like that so it's in fresh air if it get warm.

P0141 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction, B1S2.

The heater circuit helps the O2 sensor work when it's cold, B1S2 is the O2 sensor after the CAT so all it's doing is monitoring for CAT efficiency - it's not involved in fuelling at all - therefore the quick & dirty fix for a broken heater is to 'emulate' the heater with a resistor of the correct rating.

Or, £60 or so and swap the O2 sensor out.

Sorry to drag up an old thread,  and thank you all for your advice and information. I'm about to remove the precat's hence feel I may as well fix this at same time; however how do I identify which one it is?

onion86

If you mean which O2 sensor then it's the one that goes in the main cat as apposed to the two that are in each bank of the manifold (which are the two you'll take out when you remove the pre-cats).

When buying this (try sparkplugs.co.uk for cheapest ones) it's stated as a 'rear' sensor and is only different to the 'front' ones because it has a much longer wire. To be honest you don't 'need' to fix it if you don't want to as it only monitors efficiency and won't make any difference to how the car runs... for example, Jap imports don't even have this sensor on them.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Quote from: "onion86"If you mean which O2 sensor then it's the one that goes in the main cat as apposed to the two that are in each bank of the manifold (which are the two you'll take out when you remove the pre-cats).

When buying this (try sparkplugs.co.uk for cheapest ones) it's stated as a 'rear' sensor and is only different to the 'front' ones because it has a much longer wire. To be honest you don't 'need' to fix it if you don't want to as it only monitors efficiency and won't make any difference to how the car runs... for example, Jap imports don't even have this sensor on them.

Thank you since posting and reading lots on Toyota Owners Club, I think you are right. Thank you anyway.  s:) :) s:)

Tags: