Passenger window dead in the water

Started by SombreroPeak, April 10, 2018, 09:27

SombreroPeak

I have had a search and so far turned up a blank to help solve this. My passenger window stopped working a few months back. I've checked the disable switch, I've stripped both window switches...all with no luck. I'm guessing my next option is to remove the door card? Is there anything in particular I need to be testing or looking for?

Many thanks in advance.
\'N-chilada\' 2003 Chili Red, Black Leather interior

Call the midlife!

Quote from: SombreroPeak on April 10, 2018, 09:27
I have had a search and so far turned up a blank to help solve this. My passenger window stopped working a few months back. I've checked the disable switch, I've stripped both window switches...all with no luck. I'm guessing my next option is to remove the door card? Is there anything in particular I need to be testing or looking for?

Many thanks in advance.
Continuity of supply to your motor would be my first check if all your other wiring is sound.
If it's getting power then check your mechanism isn't siezed, especially after that length of time, I had my door cards off the other week and a previous tinkerer had left the inner plastic sheeting hanging down in places. It's not implausible something's jammed the mechanism,hopefully it'll be a corroded terminal/bad earth and not a blown motor. Fingers crossed for you on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

SombreroPeak

Thank you for the quick reply! Ok, I'll get on with that...but not until this infernal rain ends! I've been lucky all winter pulling out of the drive in the mornings, the sun hits the passenger window and I usually have to drop it down to check for traffic because of condensation, with it out of action this is not good.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: SombreroPeak on April 10, 2018, 12:45
Thank you for the quick reply! Ok, I'll get on with that...but not until this infernal rain ends! I've been lucky all winter pulling out of the drive in the mornings, the sun hits the passenger window and I usually have to drop it down to check for traffic because of condensation, with it out of action this is not good.
When you say you've checked your lock switch, how did you check it exactly? Just push it in and out etc or actually pull it and electrically test it? Same goes with operating switch.

SombreroPeak

Ok, to clarify, I made sure that the lock switch wasn't actually locked, although I've not opened it up. The two window switches I have fully stripped. There's very little to them other than very basic mechanicals.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: SombreroPeak on April 10, 2018, 14:59
Ok, to clarify, I made sure that the lock switch wasn't actually locked, although I've not opened it up. The two window switches I have fully stripped. There's very little to them other than very basic mechanicals.
Yeah, I've got some spares hanging around for a project I'm doing, this is going to sound stupid but have you checked the wires are on the back of the lock switch? They're usually fairly positive but the dash does flex a fair bit. Not clutching at straws or anything like![emoji23]

paulj

When you check for wires on the back of the lock switch, just join them together. That will rule the lock switch out of the investigation for you.  Good luck!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

SombreroPeak

Will do! Many thanks. I'll advise once I've had a hunt. Is that switch a simple one to pop out or is it another job to contort myself under the dash?

mr9

Quote from: SombreroPeak on April 10, 2018, 20:10Will do! Many thanks. I'll advise once I've had a hunt. Is that switch a simple one to pop out or is it another job to contort myself under the dash?

Bumping this post after 5 years - did you ever get to the bottom of it?

I'm got not voltage at the switches.

The lock switch I cut and joined a long time ago, and sticking a voltmeter on the wire I get no voltage.

I've got no idea where behind the dash the next place to check is, it becomes a mess of wires.

A good reason why this car could have just have windy windows. All part of the analogue fun

Tags: