12v Battery

Started by MikeBoo, February 3, 2023, 22:32

MikeBoo

Hello, it looks like I might need a new battery and want to know the type in advance so that I can find a decent price in the event I do actually need one, rather than have to make a rushed choice without knowing my options.

You might ask why I don't just look at my current battery and get an equivalent replacement, well that answer is simple; well the previous owner fitted the wrong battery, a Yuasa YBX3057 with the terminals on the wrong side.

Also trying to use a lookup on my reg doesn't work because my car is missing from a lot of on-line systems and using a reg from an equivalent PFL MR2 different websites suggest various battery types, i.e. 005, 005L, 008 158 HSB053.

Therefore does anyone know the correct battery reference type as well as any possible alternatives that might be cheaper?
2001 Toyota Liquid Silver (1D0) with hard top & original soft top.
Yokohama AD08RS all round.
Replacement manifold, BC coil overs,
Whiteline anti roll bars front & rear.
Location = East Hampshire, UK

Topdownman

This is what I use;

https://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-12v-50ah-450a-silver-car-battery-ybx5053-hsb053-8583-p.asp

There is a problem with some online guides that mix up the mk2 and mk3 dimensions hence there have been problems over the years.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

Is yours your daily driver? If not then be careful going for cheaper options, they tend to drain down fairly quickly when sat and will only stand a few full drains before damaging cells.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Joesson

I have a Yuasa brand battery in my 2 and also my daily.
My 2 is used only 6 months a year and is currently in the garage with the battery disconnected. A few days ago it was indicating 12.7 V . Purchased 03/ 2016.
My daily is used very little these days but holds charge similarly, and is checked and charged as needed. Battery purchased 11/ 2017.
I do have more "spare" time available than many but  I do believe it important to keep a good level of charge, I use a Lidl (£13) charger from time to time on both cars.

normanh

Previously I have purchased a Mr T one - fair price but didnt last as long as the original which if I remember right gave about 10 years. The last one bought was with Euro and paid a little extra for the lifetime warranty. As with a number of outlets they do get them mixed up and supply the wrong one so its best to take the original one in for a comparision.

Norman

Ardent

Mine.You cannot view this attachment.

barchetta_ms

This is what I have:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KNQT0N4/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item
Yuasa YBX5053 12V 50Ah 450A Silver High Performance Battery

MikeBoo

Thanks, it appears that the correct UK battery reference type is 053, but many others will fit.

Last night I ran a re-condition cycle using my CTEK MXS 5.0 charger and the battery seems OK. The battery indicator has a red dot within 2 green semi circles which indicates an OK condition. I've also fitted a Sizzapp tracker/battery monitor to it now it's back in the car, so I can remotely check the voltage and not only be alerted if the car is moving but also if the voltage drops low.
After a good run out this afternoon it seems OK for now.

You cannot view this attachment.
2001 Toyota Liquid Silver (1D0) with hard top & original soft top.
Yokohama AD08RS all round.
Replacement manifold, BC coil overs,
Whiteline anti roll bars front & rear.
Location = East Hampshire, UK

luggsonofmyll

BOSCH S4 0092S40210 Starter Battery Costco £63.58p inc VAT

jvanzyl

One of more noticeable mods you can do is fit a lighter battery... go for a lifepo. They weigh less than a kilo- are fine for a daily driver and charge up pretty quick if you let it go flat (circa 10 days).

Petrus

Quote from: jvanzyl on March 29, 2023, 23:48One of more noticeable mods you can do is fit a lighter battery... go for a lifepo. They weigh less than a kilo- are fine for a daily driver and charge up pretty quick if you let it go flat (circa 10 days).

They also last longer.

Tags: