Tyres

Started by Jimmy2, April 5, 2023, 19:20

Gaz mr-s

All-square makes oversteer more likely, that's why the car was built with stagger.  I saw someone ask recently on the web is it ok to put narrower-tyres on an FL insurance-wise....???

Iain

Just found a 225 TR1 so they are out there. Im sure a few have run them on here. There wouldnt really be any issue going either way but id prefer bigger rather than smaller given the choice.

I couldnt have different tyres on different axles, would send me nuts.

EDIT: You can get a TR1 in a 215/40/16.

MrChris

Quote from: Iain on May 28, 2023, 17:49Just found a 225 TR1 so they are out there. Im sure a few have run them on here. There wouldnt really be any issue going either way but id prefer bigger rather than smaller given the choice.

That's what she said... Sorry.  :P

Do you mind sharing where you found the tyres?

So the 215 40 are not as tall... Does this lead to other issues...?? So many questions, and so many variables, but researching this made me realise why there are so many tyre topics regarding the MR2

Iain

Quote from: MrChris on May 28, 2023, 18:06That's what she said... Sorry.  :P

Do you mind sharing where you found the tyres?

So the 215 40 are not as tall... Does this lead to other issues...?? So many questions, and so many variables, but researching this made me realise why there are so many tyre topics regarding the MR2

Just on blackcircles. I dont use them but if the manufacturer makes the sizes most garages should be able to get them.

Lower profile will result in zero issues.

Whichever size that has been talked about you wont have any problems. The change is very minimal in reality.

Zxrob

Chris

I'm running tr1 on mine, 225/45/16 rear, 195/55/15 front, lowered and on bc coilovers, car handles fine

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

shnazzle

Best grip I ever had on that was on yokohama AD08
195/55/15 and 225/45/16.

The AD08R that followed were great, but even dicier in the wet/cold.
The AD08RS that are out now left me searching for a replacement tyre.
Ended up with the Nankang NS-20 because I wasn't spending much on the car anymore and needed something that worked in the wet. they did that and worked absolutely fine in the dry,but they're no AD08.
Not at all.

The way you use the car, I'd say go for AD08RS. Especially if it gets packed away for winter
...neutiquam erro.

SuperArt

Depends on what you prioritise in your tyres performance.
For me I value longevity and good performance in wet or dry, over outright monstrous dry grip.

My car is not a track car. Its duty is 50% B road bashing and 50% cruising to the beach.
For my use case semi slicks and whatnot are a complete waste of money.
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

MrChris

Okay so Tyre Leader seem to have Nankang NS-2Rs at a pretty decent price, but in order to get hold of them I need to go

Front: 195/55
Rear: 205/45 - actually scratch that found them in 225/45 - so I guess this could be okay?

Is this going to throw things off too much. E.g. does going for a more track specific tyre but in the wrong sizes mean I ultimately lose out?

As you can tell by now I am struggling with this!

@shnazzle It won't get packed away for winter which is why I'm erring toward road tyres more. The AD08RS are too pricey at £150 a corner tbh, I just don't want to spend that much unless someone can convince me it's really that worth it. I've been using the Bridgestones and Dunlops that were on the car since I got it off you, 3 track days so far and I reckon they'd have done another (maybe). What I mean to say is that I had plenty of fun on "road" tyres.

@Zxrob thanks, yeah I saw your post in another thread which is swaying me to the TR1s. They're front runners at the moment.

@SuperArt Agree with your point about semi-slicks though I will be using this on track so reckon I'd see a benefit. However, if it was purely road going, I'd probably have just bought whatever already. I guess I'm trying to find a balance/sweet spot between all the things I'm asking of the car.

Gaz mr-s

Use this to work out parameters.  https://www.willtheyfit.com/    195/50 is the better ratio for a 195 section tyre. I'd go 45% rather than 50% if it was going to be tracked.

Carolyn

NS20 is available in 215/45x16.  I've got them on mine and they're surprisingly sticky. 

I've got NS20 195/50 x 15 on the front.

They are definitely not track tyres, but making a car 'track focused' leaves you with a poor road car, I think.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

MrChris

Thanks all for the input. I've decided on the following.

- Keep costs low, because this car is not supposed to be costing me much this year(!)
- Stick with the stock sizing because I'm more comfortable with that.
- Front: Proxes TR1 - 185 55 15 - local garage has them in stock with half price wheel alignment.
- Rear: Nankang NS20 - 215 45 16 - local place can fit them. Yes they're cheap but @Carolyn recommends them even though I've seen them reviewed badly elsewhere. Worst case scenario: my rears are under tyred and I get more oversteer  :o  ;D

shnazzle

Ah if it's going to get used then no, definitely don't so AD08 :)
Also they wear really fast. Totally not economical.

Bear in mind that a lot of the NS-20 reviews are done in heavier cars. I found them quite nice on the mr2 to be honest. A little squeally on hard corners but only when being a bit naughty.
@tricky1138 has had them for a while now.

Yohokama Fleva?
...neutiquam erro.

MrChris

Quote from: shnazzle on May 28, 2023, 20:33Yohokama Fleva?

Starts pushing the budget up inducing scope creep, so no I'm going with @Carolyn recommendation.

tricky1138

Quote from: shnazzle on May 28, 2023, 20:33Ah if it's going to get used then no, definitely don't so AD08 :)
Also they wear really fast. Totally not economical.

Bear in mind that a lot of the NS-20 reviews are done in heavier cars. I found them quite nice on the mr2 to be honest. A little squeally on hard corners but only when being a bit naughty.
@tricky1138 has had them for a while now.

Yohokama Fleva?

As Patrick has said, I've had Nankang NS-20 on a while, again at the recommendation of Carolyn.

I'm running 195/50/15 and 225/45/16 and have had no complaints with them.

Patrick can attribute to their wet handling, when he tried to follow me back from Ding Day a couple of years ago, and both @Call the midlife! and @Topdownman can confirm they seam to handle ok in dry when pushing them.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: tricky1138 on May 28, 2023, 20:53As Patrick has said, I've had Nankang NS-20 on a while, again at the recommendation of Carolyn.

Patrick can attribute to their wet handling, when he tried to follow me back from Ding Day a couple of years ago, and both @Call the midlife! and @Topdownman can confirm they seam to handle ok in dry when pushing them.
Is that what I've got on mine?😂 I know they're probably over pressured and spun up too many times at junctions for Stew's liking but they didn't let go badly chasing you around Northumberland last week 👍🏻
60% of the time it works everytime...

MrChris

Quote from: tricky1138 on May 28, 2023, 20:53As Patrick has said, I've had Nankang NS-20 on a while, again at the recommendation of Carolyn.

Good to know, I've really struggled with my current tyres in the wet.

Although @shnazzle struggled to keep up with old ladies in Yaris's, so the story goes... ;)

Ardent

Yoko fleva, in PFL OEM. Very happy.

B road bandit and cruising. No track work.

shnazzle

Quote from: MrChris on May 28, 2023, 21:22Good to know, I've really struggled with my current tyres in the wet.

Although @shnazzle struggled to keep up with old ladies in Yaris's, so the story goes... ;)
...wasn't me driving :) haha
But the story remains true. That lady gave us all a run for our money 
...neutiquam erro.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: MrChris on May 28, 2023, 20:33Thanks all for the input. I've decided on the following.

- Keep costs low, because this car is not supposed to be costing me much this year(!)
- Stick with the stock sizing because I'm more comfortable with that.
- Front: Proxes TR1 - 185 55 15 - local garage has them in stock with half price wheel alignment.
- Rear: Nankang NS20 - 215 45 16 - local place can fit them. Yes they're cheap but @Carolyn recommends them even though I've seen them reviewed badly elsewhere. Worst case scenario: my rears are under tyred and I get more oversteer  :o  ;D

Well why not go TR1 all round.  They're cheap.

Topdownman

Yes, your tyres seemed to work OK!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Iain

Quote from: shnazzle on May 28, 2023, 20:33Bear in mind that a lot of the NS-20 reviews are done in heavier cars. I found them quite nice on the mr2 to be honest.

This is one of many reasons why i find tyre reviews pretty pointless. So many variables on the table.

MrChris

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on May 29, 2023, 00:55Well why not go TR1 all round.  They're cheap.

I couldn't find TR1s in a 215 anywhere.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: MrChris on May 29, 2023, 09:03I couldn't find TR1s in a 215 anywhere.

I bought a set but I think the rear is not o/e spec. 225/40 possibly.

Tags: