Is it worth it switching to FL set up with a 16" rear wheel?

Started by Zens, May 25, 2023, 21:08

Zens

Quote from: Petrus on June 20, 2023, 21:04The wéather does not need to be warm. As long as it is not thát cold that you cannot get the rubber absorbing energy and thus warm up.
With some 25 degrees yesterday around midday I had the rubber hót to the touch, at least 55 degrees.
That is why with 5 degrees ambient temp the rubber can still be warmed up enough.

This observed I would have two sets of wheels if I would be living in the Netherlands.  Héck, I even have two sets nów. Have the OEM set I replaced with the Enkeis still in the garage. The idea is to fit a set of winters but sofar have not felt the need.

On a lighter note:
Fitted the OEM pfl wheels under my Suzuki Kei car van for fun for a year but they are too heavy (originally on narrow 13") so they are back in the garage again. As such I have a set of all wather in reserve. Don´t expect I will use them.

On a lighter still note: Global warming will work in your advantage for summer tyre use  ;)

Having 2 sets is out of question, as this is a for spring/summer only car. Ok, I will give the AD08RS a try. I did read quite a few negative reviews and feedback on the AD08RS compared to the old AD08R. But I guess the only way to know if they are good or bad for me is trying it myself. If I don't like them I will just try to kill them faster on the track. Then buy the Hankooks :)

Talking about track, what's your experience with tyre wear and the MR2 spyder on the track?

Alex Knight

Well, it (hopefully obviously) depends on your alignment settings and driving style.

I get through tyres at a ratio of 2:1 rear:front.

That should tell you about my driving style.

Other experiences may vary.

AJRFulton

I set the car up for understeer and I wear through rears faster than fronts. Ratio may well be 2:1 on pure wear. I have more practice front tyres lying about than rears.

It's wear that kills the rears. It's the tyres going blue and hard from heat cycles that kills the fronts - despite tread being left.

I find both tyres are done as a competitive tyre at about a 1.1 ratio, the fronts could still be used for track days though.

Zens

Thanks. As far as I know the set up on the car is stock. Don't think it has been changed. I can't compare it as mine is the only one I have ever driven seriously.

I know driving style affects the wear too. But ultimately it also leans on the type of tyre and car weight. The car is very light. But the T1Rs seem to be on the softer side, by all accounts. So my guess is that 3mm thread at the rear should be enough for some half day fun at the track. But maybe I'm totally wrong and will have to be towed home after.  ;D

AJRFulton

TR1's will overheat and chew up on a dry track.

Petrus

Quote from: AJRFulton on June 21, 2023, 23:43I set the car up for understeer and I wear through rears faster than fronts. Ratio may well be 2:1 on pure wear. I have more practice front tyres lying about than rears.

It's wear that kills the rears. It's the tyres going blue and hard from heat cycles that kills the fronts - despite tread being left.

I find both tyres are done as a competitive tyre at about a 1.1 ratio, the fronts could still be used for track days though.

I have same on the road, though the front use on track... no sé, the grip is simply not there anymore. As the set wears and heat cycles, they get worse more of less at the same rate and also it goes gradually so you adjust to it. Replace the rears though and the front no-grip is  :o
Imo of course  :-*

When the rears wore down I was given a fresh set by a gf and treaded lightly about the fronst so replaced those at a less obvious later time myself. Otherwise I´d have replaced all 4.

Zens

Quote from: AJRFulton on June 22, 2023, 09:24TR1's will overheat and chew up on a dry track.

Thanks. But I have T1R's. Does that make a difference?

Gaz mr-s

Zens

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on June 22, 2023, 14:36Older are a  fair bit softer.

Thanks. Ok, so that's the idea of finishing the Toyos off on track out of the window. I just didn't want to toss them out as they still have a bit of life left in them. But I also didn't want to wait till they go to buy the better AD08RS, as that can be at end of summer or even last till next year.

Petrus

Quote from: Zens on June 22, 2023, 15:57Thanks. Ok, so that's the idea of finishing the Toyos off on track out of the window. I just didn't want to toss them out as they still have a bit of life left in them. But I also didn't want to wait till they go to buy the better AD08RS, as that can be at end of summer or even last till next year.

Tyre economy is plain wrong. Figure out which type suits the use and then simply pay up for top shelf.
Apart from the potebtially clobering a fellow human being or not, the economics of the chance on a fender bender makes it worth it.

Zens

Quote from: Petrus on June 22, 2023, 16:03Tyre economy is plain wrong. Figure out which type suits the use and then simply pay up for top shelf.
Apart from the potebtially clobering a fellow human being or not, the economics of the chance on a fender bender makes it worth it.

I'm sorry. But what in the world are you on about???

I don't know if it's a language barrier/second language limitation thing. But most of your posts are very off somehow, if not bordering on rude. And hard to understand on top of that.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Zens on June 22, 2023, 15:57Thanks. Ok, so that's the idea of finishing the Toyos off on track out of the window. I just didn't want to toss them out as they still have a bit of life left in them. But I also didn't want to wait till they go to buy the better AD08RS, as that can be at end of summer or even last till next year.

I keep get drawing into this.....  if you're going to track it, get decent tyres on it.  Ask the track-goers in Austria what works.  Utterly pointless, IMO, spending the money on track time knowing that the tyres are crap.  If you can't afford the tyres, wait until you can.

Petrus

Quote from: Zens on June 22, 2023, 16:29I'm sorry. But what in the world are you on about???

I don't know if it's a language barrier/second language limitation thing. But most of your posts are very off somehow, if not bordering on rude. And hard to understand on top of that.

Right. Trying to be helpful and get bordeline insulted  ::)
A well, tant pis (that is French).
Have a nice day.

Zens

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on June 22, 2023, 16:35I keep get drawing into this.....  if you're going to track it, get decent tyres on it.  Ask the track-goers in Austria what works.  Utterly pointless, IMO, spending the money on track time knowing that the tyres are crap.  If you can't afford the tyres, wait until you can.

Decent tyres as in the AD08RS? This is what I'm getting, after recommendations here and elsewhere, for this very application.

As for the the T1Rs I have no experience with them. I drove about 200km on them so far, on the road. No idea how they behave on track. Hence why I asked here. Was just told they are no good for that. Now I know.  Didn't before. So I wasn't thinking of spending money on track time knowing the tyres are bad, as I didn't know, till I asked. ;)

Don't know why you would think I can't afford the tyres. By what I saw, the AD08RS is far from the cheapest option for the car. So I'm honestly confused by which posts of mine you are reading in order to draw all the conclusions you had in the above post.

As for tracking the car, I guess this is subjective. As I explained, I'm not racing. Just going around the track a few laps. Not even necessarily one right after the other without a break. Back in the day, I and everybody I knew basically did autocross with our daily drivers, on normal tyres. Never an issue to go around a few laps. Very different from lap after lap, after lap, or actually racing. So I guess one must define "tracking". I explained before though. :)

Zens

Quote from: Petrus on June 22, 2023, 16:50Right. Trying to be helpful and get bordeline insulted  ::)
A well, tant pis (that is French).
Have a nice day.

Sorry Petrus, but how is your lecturing post above, trying to help? You mention insulting, and this is how it comes across to me. Very snide and condescending. Not the first time either, which is why I called it out.

I'm not even sure what you were trying to lecture about or say? Were you implying I'm trying to save on tyres? If I was, would I buy the AD08RS, instead of going with one of the several much cheaper options? My current T1R tyres have the double of the legal tread limit left on them. So I'm not risking any lives there either.

All I did was ask about the T1Rs on the track. Key word here is, asked. ;)

Beause I feel like just tossing them out is a waste, if they were good enough, which I didn't know, till I asked.

Carolyn

Okay.  This has got out of hand.

End of.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: