Is it worth it switching to FL set up with a 16" rear wheel?

Started by Zens, May 25, 2023, 21:08

Dev

We have similar tastes. One of the reasons why the SSR comps is my regret is because they have the dish and are more sunken but at the same time its not overdone. They are also extremely light weight and forged but even though they are quality wheels they are not as resilient to hard hits like the OZ.   
 The OZ on the other hand was a second choice which I liked but I was pressured by a friend who likes the wheels more than I including the sizes as I originally wanted 15/16. After getting them my friend was right about looking the part. My friend bought the same ones I did a year later when funds permitted.

Here is another picture.

Dev

Oh BTW since you mentioned it. One of my local friends has the Advanti Storm. I know opinions are opinions but I don't really like them. They look incredibly flat at all viewing angles. I can see that they were going for a Ultraleggera look but you can clearly see the difference. The Utraleggeras have a 3D dimensional pop to them that the Storms or other multi spoke wheels don't have.  I also felt the quality of the storms were good for a budget wheel but thats where it ends.

Petrus

Quote from: Zens on May 30, 2023, 19:09I just dislike wheels that are pushed out. I like wheels that are pushed in, like concave or deep dished.

No discussing taste  ;)

I personally réally like the RPF1 as it has both F1 and JDM fame  8)  so befit my Manga themed MR2. 

Whishing you good luck with finding an approved set to your liking and budget. At least the AD08RS are an easy decision  ;)

Zens

Quote from: Petrus on May 30, 2023, 20:21No discussing taste  ;)

I personally réally like the RPF1 as it has both F1 and JDM fame  8)  so befit my Manga themed MR2. 

Whishing you good luck with finding an approved set to your liking and budget. At least the AD08RS are an easy decision  ;)

I think the RPF1 looks way better than the Ce28. They look specially good on an Elise. Do you have photos of your MR2 with the RPF1?

Zens

Quote from: Dev on May 30, 2023, 20:16Oh BTW since you mentioned it. One of my local friends has the Advanti Storm. I know opinions are opinions but I don't really like them. They look incredibly flat at all viewing angles. I can see that they were going for a Ultraleggera look but you can clearly see the difference. The Utraleggeras have a 3D dimensional pop to them that the Storms or other multi spoke wheels don't have.  I also felt the quality of the storms were good for a budget wheel but thats where it ends.

That's interesting. In photos they look so dished in. But I think you need at least 8" wide to start seeing this.

Petrus

Quote from: Zens on May 30, 2023, 20:29I think the RPF1 looks way better than the Ce28. They look specially good on an Elise. Do you have photos of your MR2 with the RPF1?

Have a look at Southern Belle thread in readers cars section. Plénty there. And more  O:-)
Currently putting it back in legal spec so I can pass periodic inspectiom Today cat (not meaning Hello Kitty) and OEM muffler back on.

Btw are the OZ Rally Racing wheel homologized in Austria?  I think those in white look good on most anything. When I looked at rims they were not difficult to find refurbished. Decided to go JDM because the car is so Japan car.

Zens

Quote from: Dev on May 30, 2023, 19:49We have similar tastes. One of the reasons why the SSR comps is my regret is because they have the dish and are more sunken but at the same time its not overdone. They are also extremely light weight and forged but even though they are quality wheels they are not as resilient to hard hits like the OZ. 
 The OZ on the other hand was a second choice which I liked but I was pressured by a friend who likes the wheels more than I including the sizes as I originally wanted 15/16. After getting them my friend was right about looking the part. My friend bought the same ones I did a year later when funds permitted.

Here is another picture.

Looks nice! The 17" really seem to fill the wheel well nicely. Is your car stock height? Hard to see with the high contrast and black car.

But I would like to say with 15/16, for performance and feel.

Dev

Maybe this angle helps to see how the wheels fill in the wheel well. I am lowered by about 2 inches.
I did not want to have a 17" wheel for the reasons you stated but it worked out in the end and I highly doubt you will be able tell performance wise from moving the bar 1". The big benefit is it solidifies the look of the car as a whole making it look longer and larger than having the car have the appearance of fancy aftermarket wheels.  As far as feel goes it's all in the tires especially ones that are also top tier with stiff sidewalls and good feedback.

Zens

Quote from: Petrus on May 30, 2023, 20:32Have a look at Southern Belle thread in readers cars section. Plénty there. And more  O:-)
Currently putting it back in legal spec so I can pass periodic inspectiom Today cat (not meaning Hello Kitty) and OEM muffler back on.

Btw are the OZ Rally Racing wheel homologized in Austria?  I think those in white look good on most anything. When I looked at rims they were not difficult to find refurbished. Decided to go JDM because the car is so Japan car.

I'm not sure those would look good on a MR2. Do you know of any with those wheels? i think they look better in things like hot hatches maybe?

For styling, the Ultraleggeras are more my style than the RPF1s. If it wasn't for the weight it would be way easier to find pleasing wheels. Toyota made the OEM wheels too good!  ;D

For example, I have no idea what the bellow wheels are. I doubt they are top wheels or lightweight. But I like them:

Zens

Quote from: Dev on May 30, 2023, 21:05Maybe this angle helps to see how the wheels fill in the wheel well. I am lowered by about 2 inches.
I did not want to have a 17" wheel for the reasons you stated but it worked out in the end and I highly doubt you will be able tell performance wise from moving the bar 1". The big benefit is it solidifies the look of the car as a whole making it look longer and larger than having the car have the appearance of fancy aftermarket wheels.  As far as feel goes it's all in the tires especially ones that are also top tier with stiff sidewalls and good feedback.

Nice. The lowering also definitely helps to complete the looks.

Petrus

Quote from: Zens on May 30, 2023, 21:21I'm not sure those would look good on a MR2. Do you know of any with those wheels? i think they look better in things like hot hatches maybe?

Them´s the rally rims of Lancia Delta Integrale and most everything else of the period plus a decade. Whether one líkes them... taste again. They would suit mine. All I need is add ´my´ rally racing number and they´d  even make sense  ;D   Even more if I´d use them as the winter set with M&S rubbers. The snag is that it hardly gets winter conditions here. Just cccóld mornings realy. So better spend some of that cash on #1 son´s idea to 3D print carbonfiber lightweight bits for Belle.

Dev

Regarding the Enkei rpf1.
I would consider them a top tier wheel which is light weight and quality. Enkei is involved with F1 racing like OZ and BBS. I would say it is a good looking wheel looking at a picture of them online. Many have this wheel for those reasons I mentioned because they check many boxes except one. They have a esthetic on our car that looks like budgeted wheels. It's not a bad design for another car but for us its unremarkable.

I know it is an unpopular opinion so for those that have them its not personal but it feels like it is a wheel you settle on for its quality and lightness than getting something that has more glitz and glamor. I also happen to like Rays wheels as I think they have that nice esthetic that pops but too expensive.

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on May 30, 2023, 21:52They have a esthetic on our car that looks like budgeted wheels.

You see the húge advantage in that no?!  :))   

No lock nuts needed   8)

I have taken the angle grinder to the titanium exhaust tip too so it looks like crap instead of valuable ;)
My car is in dire need of a paint job but that budget would go to a lexan wind screen first and imo the band aid on the rear wing is über 8) 

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on May 30, 2023, 22:38You see the húge advantage in that no?!  :))   

No lock nuts needed   8)

I have taken the angle grinder to the titanium exhaust tip too so it looks like crap instead of valuable ;)
My car is in dire need of a paint job but that budget would go to a lexan wind screen first and imo the band aid on the rear wing is über 8) 
If I was a thief based on looks alone I would end up stealing Rota wheels by mistake. Their knock off wheels actually look good but it's too bad the quality is not there like the real thing. 

Ardent

Have enjoyed reading this thread and appreciate how lucky I am, that I like OEM wheels.

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on May 30, 2023, 23:57Have enjoyed reading this thread and appreciate how lucky I am, that I like OEM wheels.

They are véry good, the right size for the car, quite light and came for free  :))

The looks are spot on imo. I only went for the lighter weight, not to improve the looks- The OEMs look só svelte.

Btw. the rest of the world, the non car enthusiasts, is pretty much oblivious to the designs of wheels. My female acquaintances did not notice the change of wheels. Like it being a small cabrio, think the stickers cheerful, the exhaust note sexy and the rest is technical stuff ;-) 

Zens

Gentlemen, you won't get any arguments from me against the OEM 5-spoke wheels. I like them and I think they are not only nice but very fitting to the car. It's the best design ever offered on the roadster in my opinion. Toyota offered some other designs later on, which to my eyes are more fitting to a 4 doors hatchback or saloon. The 5-spoke is spot on! 5-spoke is also my favorite wheel for the Elise. Specially the Victory wheels.

My "conundrum" is that to keep the OEM I would need to refresh them. They have some curb rash and I'm honestly bored of the silver, as my car is also silver. So I would like some contrast on the wheels. But not going with black. To refresh them I would have to have the car up on stilts/holders for a week or so, at a minimum. I have no winter set. The car never saw a winter and never will. ;)

Then I'm also curious to try a 16" rear, as I think I will like the effect of less oversteer and being able to push the car harder in corners etc.

For that reason, makes sense to just buy an aftermarket set and have lighter wheels as a bonus.

I don't want to have the car stand on stilts for a week or so as it waits for the wheels to be ready. Or the trouble which comes to do that. Plus expenses to refresh the wheels, which could go towards a lighter and new wheel set.

But I actually much prefer the OEM 5 spoke design over all the lightweight wheels I have considered. I think the OEM looks better than the OZs, RPF1, Volk and S1. They look purposeful, light, just the business! But it's also a matter of practicality in the process.

Although it has crossed my mind to just buy a full used set of OEM, so I can refresh and repaint them before going on the car, and keeping my current set as a track set with the Toyos TR1, till I kill them on track. But that will just incentivize the "very bad" trackday habit I'm trying to avoid. ;D Trying to keep it under 2 days a year. Don't fancy spending too much money on brakes and tyres yearly.

Petrus

Congrats Zenns!!!

Quote from: Zens on May 31, 2023, 09:08I will like the effect of less oversteer and being able to push the car harder in corners etc.

Thát.... may need some more thinking  ;)

Have fun!!!

Gaz mr-s

Unless you've already found light wheels at a nice price,  I believe it will cost a LOT for lighter than o/e.

Zens

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on May 31, 2023, 09:22Unless you've already found light wheels at a nice price,  I believe it will cost a LOT for lighter than o/e.

It seems the price will be around €1000 for the set with the OZ. Definitely cheaper to refurbish the OEM or even get an extra FL OEM set to refurbish, if I do it myself. The headaches though is a different matter. If I do it myself means time, no long lasting finish most likely, the car standing on stilts for over a week etc. If I have it professionally done, I must find the right place, leave the car there for over a week, and price + extra set of OEM will probably not be much cheaper than going with the OZs.

Zens

Quote from: Petrus on May 31, 2023, 09:17Congrats Zenns!!!

Thanks. But for what? Still being lost and not sure how to proceed?  ;D

Joesson

@Zens said:
To refresh them I would have to have the car up on stilts/holders for a week or so, at a minimum. I have no winter set.
I had my OE wheels powder coated to choice within a day, leaving my car with them while it was done.
A friend recently had his Jaguar wheels refurbished, it took about a week but meanwhile he used a set of replacement wheels and tyres provided by the renovator.
Your location / logistics and available services would determine what is best for you.

Petrus

Quote from: Zens on May 31, 2023, 09:35Thanks. But for what? Still being lost and not sure how to proceed?  ;D

You´re leaning to refurbished OEM. The week on blocks will get sorted. See above  ;)

Dev

I was at the same crossroad years ago to refinish the PFL wheels but I like the look of the FL 15/16 staggered better with the clear coated spokes instead of paint that made the car pop.
At the time the FL factory wheels in very good condition was commanding a high price that made the aftermarket more appealing for reduced weight but in the end the wheels now have worked out better for my esthetic particularly with the lip kit and offsets that even up with the fenders.

Ardent

Quote from: Zens on May 31, 2023, 09:34It seems the price will be around €1000 for the set with the OZ. Definitely cheaper to refurbish the OEM or even get an extra FL OEM set to refurbish, if I do it myself. The headaches though is a different matter. If I do it myself means time, no long lasting finish most likely, the car standing on stilts for over a week etc. If I have it professionally done, I must find the right place, leave the car there for over a week, and price + extra set of OEM will probably not be much cheaper than going with the OZs.
You could fly to the UK pick up a pair of 16s, return and refurb for way less than 1k. Bearing in mind, if I remember correctly, this is just to see if you prefer 16s.

Have you looked at what the import costs may be?
I have a set of FL 15 Fronts and 16 Rears all shod in Rainsport rubber for sale.
Choices choices

Tags: