Lost Oil

Started by Sandracer31, May 27, 2023, 20:45

Sandracer31

I'm new to the group, I've had a route round but can't see what I'm looking for.

I checked the oil and there's nothing reading on the dip stick. There is oil pretty much all over the engine, below the rocker cover.

I've done a little research and changing the rocker cover gasket appears achievable on the drive.

Question is, is the ticket cover gasket the most likely cause of losing the oil? Or should I be looking for something else?

normanh

Is the filler cap secure?

Norman

Sandracer31

Yes filler cap is secure, no staining around the filter cap.

Just below the rocker cover.

Alex Knight

Clean everything up.

Change the rocker cover gasket.

Check again for leaks.

Sandracer31

Sounds like the best plan. Will be at it Tuesday. When the motor factors is open to get a gasket.

Thanks for the responses.

puma2

Quote from: Sandracer31 on May 28, 2023, 08:22Sounds like the best plan. Will be at it Tuesday. When the motor factors is open to get a gasket.

some are open Monday with short opening hrs

Topdownman

I would definitely start with a de-grease and clean up. Measure how much oil you need to get the oil to the right level and note the mileage.

Drive the car, see where the oil seems to be coming from and how much you are using before deciding what to change.

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Carolyn

While you're doing the cam cover gasket, be sure to clean the sealing surfaces.  Also, you might consider changing the chain tensioner O ring.  If you message me with your address I'll send you a replacement that is much better than the OEM one (which often doesn't seal properly).  No charge, courtesy of the club.

There's a 'how to' on doing the tensioner.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Ardent

Quote from: Sandracer31 on May 28, 2023, 08:22Sounds like the best plan. Will be at it Tuesday. When the motor factors is open to get a gasket.

I got mine from toyota. No dearer than any one else. Sub £20 at the time.

mr2garageswindon

Is it leaking or burning the oil?
Have a look at the spark plugs.

Ardent

Yes it's money.

But if non on the stick I'm tempted to suggest. Drain it. New filter. Add 3.7 litre.
At least then you have a proper starting point.

Than monitor very closely. Your guide is 1 lite per 621 miles. (1000km) Yes, I know.
As per owners manual.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Ardent on May 30, 2023, 23:26Yes it's money.

But if non on the stick I'm tempted to suggest. Drain it. New filter. Add 3.7 litre.
At least then you have a proper starting point.

Than monitor very closely. Your guide is 1 lite per 621 miles. (1000km) Yes, I know.
As per owners manual.

Perhaps it would be better to say 'maximum consumption' as opposed to 'guide' to avoid confusion?

Tags: