Double din fitting kit

Started by Craigjm, October 12, 2023, 13:42

Craigjm

I am going to change the headunit in my facelift car. Can someone link the fitting kit that I need please as there appears to be various suggestions out there all different. Thanks

The Other Stu

Quote from: Craigjm on October 12, 2023, 13:42I am going to change the headunit in my facelift car. Can someone link the fitting kit that I need please as there appears to be various suggestions out there all different. Thanks
So head units generally have "standard" holes. Take the mounting kit off the existing radio and reutilise it.
That's the easy bit.

Sadly, the difficult bit is the ISO -> Toyota harness. These can be purchased from most ICE places, Halfrauds or eBay (I used the latter)

For instance....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404324860206
No Longer Here

Craigjm

Thanks. I am OK with the harness bit. In terms of the fitting kit some show two side brackets and some show a complete front frame. As far as I can see you cant reuse anything off the standard radio. It may be different for the pre-facelift sony but for the facelift unit I cant see anything

Call the midlife!

Usually you just remove the two side brackets from the original radio and screw them directly to the sides of the new unit, in whichever holes work best.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Craigjm

Was thinking something like this as I want it to look as neat and OEM as possible

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autoleads-dfp-11-08-toyota-celica-mr2-rav4-double-din-fascia-adaptor.html

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Craigjm on October 12, 2023, 18:05Was thinking something like this as I want it to look as neat and OEM as possible

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autoleads-dfp-11-08-toyota-celica-mr2-rav4-double-din-fascia-adaptor.html
They don't actually do what you're wanting/expecting them to do, they look fugly.

Craigjm

So would I be better off getting a frame from a pre facelift car? Or does the frame of the post facelift unit pull off and become reusable?

Call the midlife!

The facelift trim piece comes off but don't pull it as it's screwed to the side brackets.

fawtytoo

Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 12, 2023, 22:49The facelift trim piece comes off but don't pull it as it's screwed to the side brackets.
Are you sure? Mine just clips onto the head unit.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Call the midlife!

Quote from: fawtytoo on October 13, 2023, 15:57Are you sure? Mine just clips onto the head unit.
The pre and facelift versions are different, I could be getting mixed up between the two, it's been a while.

fawtytoo

Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 13, 2023, 18:32The pre and facelift versions are different, I could be getting mixed up between the two, it's been a while.
I have a PFL MR2, but the trim is from the FL. Mine just clips on. I don't know about the PFL trim.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Tags: