PFL Sony headunit (WX-C570R) not playing cassettes

Started by inigopete, November 10, 2023, 15:40

inigopete

I was happy to find a 2001 with lots of original parts, even the radio and aerial seemed to work! I discovered after a while that it wouldn't play cassettes. I still have a few and wanted to play them, partly because some are the only recordings of my old band, a LONG time ago.

The cassette would load into the machine, the display would show "PLAY" and then... nothing. It would eject the tape after a few seconds.

I found this video very useful for dismantling the fascia and removing the headunit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAnN7CDIB7o

(it is fairly simple, but a good fascia removal tool / spudger definitely helps)

Then I was able to download the original Sony service manual from here:

https://elektrotanya.com/sony_wx-c570r.pdf/download.html

And it has very detailed instructions on how to dismantle the unit layer by layer.

I wasn't entirely sure what I was looking for - I'm not a cassette deck expert, but thought maybe I'd spot a detached wire or something. Looking at the bottom of the cassette transport unit, I spotted the rubber belt that runs from the motor around the big drive wheel was a bit floppy and frayed.

The service manual details it as part no. 3-017-302-01, and fortunately I was able to find one on eBay from a German seller - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285117993937 - as the same part is also used in other Sony car cassette players (XR-5790R, XR 5800R, XR-5800RV, XR-5810R, XR-5820R - I'm listing them here only to help others with their search!).

So I've ordered one, temporarily loosely re-assembled the Sony unit, and I'll fit it when it arrives and report back on progress. :)

inigopete

I was surprisingly happy to get a rubber band through the post!

I opened the manual PDF and opened the radio up again...

IMG_4741 by Pete Owen, on Flickr

...and replaced the belt. The new one felt considerably crisper, stretchier and seemed smaller than the old one. And it was an easy fit.

I actually really liked following the service manual and dismantling the Sony unit. It felt like it was well-designed, well-assembled and, refreshingly, made to be serviced and repaired. I've had to replace bits on my (and friends') phones and it usually feels like a battle, or like sneaking into somewhere you're not supposed to be. This was easy - undo the screws, lift the bits apart, fix, reassemble. :)

I fitted the Sony Unilink adaptor I ordered based on a previous enquiry - the small nook in the back of the heatsink almost seemed made for it, it curled up nicely in there.

IMG_4742 by Pete Owen, on Flickr

I'd also ordered a stereo RCA (phono) to 3.5mm jack cable, with right-angle connectors to keep things snug back there. Here's how it all went back together as I was re-fitting it.

IMG_4743 by Pete Owen, on Flickr

...and there's good news and bad news.

The good news is that the audio in works! Selecting CD2, the display shows track 0 and time at 00:00, but plays whatever's fed in via that audio cable. So I can run my old iPod, or connect a USB-powered Bluetooth audio receiver to play stuff from my phone.

The mostly-good news is that the tape player now plays too. It seems a little uncertain with auto-reverse when it's near the end of the tape, it seems to try reversing, playing a second, reversing, playing a second, then shuts down the unit completely.

The bad news is that the CD player doesn't load at all. I don't know whether it did before, I forgot to check before I opened the unit up for the first time. It recognises a CD has been inserted, switches to CD, then... shuts down. The eject button did nothing so I had to very carefully grab the CD with fingernails and pull it back out. No harm done, but like the cassette thing maybe I'll come back to this another time.

For now, at least, I can play audio from outside the unit, especially from my phone. Progress. :)

Ardent

puma2

TheTigerUK

It was expensive when new, I came across this while looking for something else.

Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

inigopete

TheTigerUK

Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Tags: