Clock alternatives

Started by steveash, January 19, 2024, 09:39

steveash

I use a battery isolator to help hold charge between runs so the clock in my car is always showing the wrong time. Has anyone come up with any interesting clock replacements?

A clock that updates wirelessly would be good or even something like this:

https://www.instructables.com/Custom-OBD-II-Gauge-in-With-OEM-Look/

Which is sadly beyond me in terms of both ability and time! Maybe I should just pull the fuse  :(

J88TEO

Same here...my head unit defaults to factory settings and I have to start all over again!

shnazzle

I did once google a solution and came to a couple of solutions;

1) An aftermarket clock: which I did. Had a thermostat in it as well which was handy. It ran on battery only as it was quite cheap. I think if you get one that's a bit fancier with a 12v feed or something and a backup battery then problem solved
2) An aftermarket stereo. @Carolyn got one with a backup battery. Keeps channels. Exact reason you need one, battery isolator.
3) There's a switch you can buy but I found it a bit dodgy. It had a capacitor that held charge for something like 10 mins to allow for swapping batteries etc. But not good enough for this.
4) "Car Memory Saver".  Little device you plug into either your ciggie lighter or OBD2 and attach to an alternative 12v source like a spare battery. Keeps everything alive and when your car is up and urnning you can recharge that alt 12v battery source.

I then got into the realms of "can I make something". It would be a rather simple circuit, the same that they use in other systems to keep time. Use battery when power is off, use power when connected.
As with 99.9% of my projects...it went nowhere,

...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

I have the same issue.  I'm getting one from J-Spec so I can conduct a small experiment.

I'll be back! ;D
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: