Scion head unit in a 2

Started by Jared, February 7, 2024, 20:50

Jared

Hi all, was thinking about changing my head unit to have bluetooth built in.
First I was thinking go single din no cd as it would be a weight saver and sound better than oem but I do like an oem look.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the head unit is the same hight as a double din but is wider so a plastic facia is needed that doesn't look that great so a specific size unit us needed.
Was looking at a Scion head unit and I think they are the same size but a bit more modern, anyone had any experience or looked into this at all guys.

Ardent

so many threads, someone started a thread that deals with all things head units. A bit of creative searching should find it.

jvanzyl

When changing the head unit you'll find that there is a black plastic fascia surround that comes out at the same time when you remove the oem unit. KEEP THIS as it'll snap directly onto your replacement unit and fill in the gaps perfectly.
So you should be about to convert to any other double din unit no probs. Not seen a scion unit.

Ferrousfe

Which head unit do you currently have?
I use a 5+7 Pin aux adapter in my OEM head unit, they sell similar products with bluetooth enabled and allows you to keep the stock head unit. Only issue is you need a 5+7 Y cable too as there are 2 pins taken up by the original setup.

Jared

Quote from: Ferrousfe on February  8, 2024, 09:50Which head unit do you currently have?
I use a 5+7 Pin aux adapter in my OEM head unit, they sell similar products with bluetooth enabled and allows you to keep the stock head unit. Only issue is you need a 5+7 Y cable too as there are 2 pins taken up by the original setup.
Im using a the 12v socket with a bluetooth transmitter to one of the radio channels and tbf it works quite well but its one of those jobs you think if its broke???
but just getting some ideas of what could be done if I go down that route   

Ferrousfe

Quote from: Jared on February  8, 2024, 15:57Im using a the 12v socket with a bluetooth transmitter to one of the radio channels and tbf it works quite well but its one of those jobs you think if its broke???
but just getting some ideas of what could be done if I go down that route   

Fair enough, that's what I was using before but I had really bad distortion and background noise at high volume (particularly noticeable when listening to podcasts).

I also got a wireless Android Auto screen so needed a dedicated 3.5mm jack.

The stock radio is okay with a quality source, but not brilliant

Tags: