Front lower control arms (LCA) bushes

Started by frogger, August 18, 2018, 11:42

StuC

Quote from: Bossworld on March 20, 2019, 07:55
Quote from: StuC on March 19, 2019, 23:30
Quote from: Bossworld on August 21, 2018, 18:08
Quote from: dan944 on August 21, 2018, 17:03
Just a note. Go on mr2 fb page and search for Yaris. You'll find the confirmation on there.

There's a post from 2016 saying that there are two types for Yaris, and another poster in the same thread saying they're not the same but very similar.

Quick eBay search shows there is a set with a 12mm bush and another set with a 14mm bush.

Can anyone measure which is likely to match the mr2 ones?
I don't mind having a punt to save £700+ on the mr2 ones.
Would rather order once though if poss.

I'm banned from the Facebook group for some reason so can't search it, but these are the ones I bought and I fitted to my car a few months back

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332659560803

Quote from: Bossworld on March 20, 2019, 09:13

Quote from: StuC on March 20, 2019, 08:19
@Bossworld are you FL or PFL in this regard?

Facelift, 04 plate car

These above ^^^^^ are now fitted to Banana (PFL). As she is a daily driver I will report back if there are any longevity issues.

EDIT: Yaris front lower control arm part numbers 4806959035 4806859035 (for future reference)

@Bossworld thanks again.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Bossworld

I'm doubting myself due to someone else's posts on another thread about changing their front drop links.  If you are able to get under your car, would you be able to confirm that your drop links are going through the larger of these two holes (the one on the right, which IMO has a recess for the drop link bush to sit in).

StuC

@Bossworld Hopefully this clears it up for you.
Also gives everyone some proof that it actually fits!! :) :)

Bossworld

Quote from: StuC on March 26, 2019, 22:08

@Bossworld Hopefully this clears it up for you.
Also gives everyone some proof that it actually fits!! :) :)

Cheers fella, panic over. Assume the other holes may be used in other applications of the arm.

StuC

@Bossworld they look like they are jig location holes. So used in the production of the arm pressing.

normanh

Is there a rubber bush missing on that droplink in the picture as it looks nothing like the one I have just installed - I have about 10 mm of thread protruding on the stud with the nylock in place yet my bushes are well compressed unlike those shown.

Norman

StuC

Quote from: normanh on March 27, 2019, 14:12
Is there a rubber bush missing on that droplink in the picture as it looks nothing like the one I have just installed - I have about 10 mm of thread protruding on the stud with the nylock in place yet my bushes are well compressed unlike those shown.

Norman

From the top down...
Shaft (with retention lip and thread)
Metal shim (not visible in picture)
Rubber bush (not visible in picture)
Lower control arm
Rubber bush
Metal shim
Nut

Which is as listed in many places...
MR2 Ben linky

normanh

Strange, I am wondering if the bushes supplied are significantly thicker than others as a guide supplied new the nylock is literally at the end of the stud when assembled and not under compression. I have reused the 3rd washer of the stock links.

Norman

Bossworld

I've two different lengths of nut showing with two different brands torqued up equally to spec

normanh

What torque settings did you use?

Norman

Bossworld

Quote from: normanh on March 27, 2019, 17:12
What torque settings did you use?

Norman

Top balljoint: 44nm

Lower bush (under arm): 18nm

StuC

Quote from: StuC on March 25, 2019, 23:16
Quote from: Bossworld on March 20, 2019, 07:55
Quote from: StuC on March 19, 2019, 23:30
Quote from: Bossworld on August 21, 2018, 18:08
Quote from: dan944 on August 21, 2018, 17:03Just a note. Go on mr2 fb page and search for Yaris. You'll find the confirmation on there.

There's a post from 2016 saying that there are two types for Yaris, and another poster in the same thread saying they're not the same but very similar.

Quick eBay search shows there is a set with a 12mm bush and another set with a 14mm bush.

Can anyone measure which is likely to match the mr2 ones?
I don't mind having a punt to save £700+ on the mr2 ones.
Would rather order once though if poss.

I'm banned from the Facebook group for some reason so can't search it, but these are the ones I bought and I fitted to my car a few months back

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332659560803

Quote from: Bossworld on March 20, 2019, 09:13
Quote from: StuC on March 20, 2019, 08:19@Bossworld are you FL or PFL in this regard?

Facelift, 04 plate car

These above ^^^^^ are now fitted to Banana (PFL). As she is a daily driver I will report back if there are any longevity issues.

EDIT: Yaris front lower control arm part numbers 4806959035 4806859035 (for future reference)

@Bossworld thanks again.

Quick FYI

Banana has just gone for her yearly "handbrake cable needs adjusting" test (MOT).
After 6000 miles, BOTH of the ball joints on these lower arms have failed. Clearly this is not acceptable. I am not sure if there is a quality issue or if this is related to the fact that they are Yaris parts.
I have asked the eBay seller to comment on the situation. I am not holding my breath, although they do have a 2 year warranty.

I'll post up when I have more information.
@Bossworld

Carolyn

I did notice, in another thread these are available at many different pride-points.  Some so low, I commented that they were just too cheap.

There is a big aftermarket for such a big seller as the Yaris, so I'm not surprised that some stuff is just not up to scratch.

I'd recommend paying a little more?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

househead

Quote from: Carolyn on March  9, 2020, 16:42I did notice, in another thread these are available at many different pride-points.  Some so low, I commented that they were just too cheap.

There is a big aftermarket for such a big seller as the Yaris, so I'm not surprised that some stuff is just not up to scratch.

I'd recommend paying a little more?

If only it were that simple though ... is there any more actual guarantee that paying more bags you a better product? They could just be selling the same cheap crappy ones for more £? I think we need to identify the good suppliers rather than the price point at which it *should* be ok :)

I've got some from energizedcustoms on ebay. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive. Not yet fitted.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Bossworld

Quote from: StuC on March  9, 2020, 16:16Quick FYI

Banana has just gone for her yearly "handbrake cable needs adjusting" test (MOT).
After 6000 miles, BOTH of the ball joints on these lower arms have failed. Clearly this is not acceptable. I am not sure if there is a quality issue or if this is related to the fact that they are Yaris parts.
I have asked the eBay seller to comment on the situation. I am not holding my breath, although they do have a 2 year warranty.

I'll post up when I have more information.
@Bossworld

Hmm.  I note househead has also gone 'energizedcustoms' which is where I got mine.  If you're still able to get on the FB group, might be worth asking if anyone has had similar experience as I only went for these after confirmation from 5 or 6 others who'd also fitted.

Believe my second MOT since fitting is due in May so will report back then.  I did ask the seller (energizedcustoms) how the guarantee worked at the time, and they said they'd replace upon production of an MOT failure certificate.  Would hope they'd honour it as I've been burned by different supplier for handbrake cables before, also promising a 2 year guarantee.

Quoteenergizedcustoms2:

All wear components are covered by the warranty. However, unless the crack fails an MOT this is not covered

The Yaris is the same as the Scion arms that were previously suggested as the next best alternative, so to points already made, what is the tangible difference between those at different price points?

@StuC what was the reason given for failure?  Cover damaged or something else?

mr9

I was looking at buying some soon so would be good to know.

Got some tein springs to fit so am looking at the roll centre adjusting ball joint anyway (which are annoyingly quite a bit more expensive than the springs that cause the problem)

Ardent

Quote from: househead on March  9, 2020, 17:07I've got some from energizedcustoms on ebay. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive. Not yet fitted.
Thats 2 of us.

StuC

Quote from: househead on March  9, 2020, 17:07I've got some from energizedcustoms on ebay. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive. Not yet fitted.

This is where I got mine from.

Quote from: Bossworld on March  9, 2020, 17:19@StuC what was the reason given for failure?  Cover damaged or something else?

I have not seen it yet. I'll post pictures when I have something.

@Carolyn I tend to agree with your statement. Last year I needed something quick. I feel I am paying for that now.

I know that Rogue use these arms, then poly bush them. The ball joint would remain as is though. So it's either a dodgy batch or cheap materials. Given the price I'd say its the latter.

Bossworld

StuC

Quote from: Bossworld on March 13, 2020, 15:31Any update @StuC

Somewhat. Got Banana back today and she has passed her MOT now.

Here are some piccies of the 6000 mile lower arms failures. You can see the rubbers are pooched.

You cannot view this attachment.

Ardent

Will you be challenging the supplier?

StuC

Quote from: Ardent on March 13, 2020, 20:30Will you be challenging the supplier?

eBay seller said he was happy to refund the cost of the parts, but none of the labour.
I need to send the parts back via a free DPD service.

I am a little disgruntled about the labour tbh. A year ago I needed to pay out, which I was ok to accept. However this years labour was down to poor quality parts, which for me is on them. I am sure I could take to small claims, but I don't think it's worth it. Especially not with everything else going on.

Ardent

Mine are still in the poly bags.

I might well see about contacting them.

Joesson

This is not a new problem. I changed the track rod ends, just the ball joint, there was no carrier/ arm involved, on Mrs J's Fiesta around 1990 with after market items. The rubbers perished inside 12 months, and that wasn't after many miles, just poor quality rubber. Thirty years on the same thing is still happening.
I don't know what the solution to this problem is, but I am very sure that the difference in the price of the AM rubber boot and the OE rubber boot would be pennies. The price of OE parts is sometimes seemingly prohibitive, a "happy medium" would be nice but unlikely / not going to happen.

ooch

I also bought the Yaris arms from energized customs recently. Went to fit the driver's side one and the balljoint wouldn't push all the way up into the steering knuckle even when using a jack underneath. As this was my first time doing this, I didn't notice until after I had wrecked the thread from overtightening the castle nut.I tried to torque it but because there wasn't much thread for the nut to grab onto it didn't reach the correct torque before wrecking the thread. I then ordered some Moog ball joints which arrived today, pressed the knackered one out and the Moog one slid in easily by hand and has movement even when the circlip has been put on. I'm going to try the moog ball joint in my original control arm tomorrow to see if it fits tight in that.

Tags: