Front lower control arms (LCA) bushes

Started by frogger, August 18, 2018, 11:42

shnazzle

Hmm... Worried about my unfitted ones now. 
I got mine from Zakautoparts.
Went for them because of 100%positive feedback.
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

As my previous post. Mine are still in the poly bags.

Topdownman

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Ardent

Another good find.
But my concern is. Are the rubbers any better than those that come in the arms. You would like to think so as double the price. But....
Also plenty more work involved.

Carolyn

I think that these parts have a shelf-life. (They are rubber and do oxidise over time.  And I think the cheaper ones may just be out of date.  Possibly even bought in as out-of-date stock!!!

I wouldn't worry if buying from a supplier with high turn-over and a good reputation.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

105e

I just bought items actually advertised for a mr2, from a company ive heard of having bought from them for previous cars. Cannot comment on quality as they sit still wrapped in my shed untill/if i need them..

Joesson

Quote from: 105e on May 23, 2020, 13:17I just bought items actually advertised for a mr2, from a company ive heard of having bought from them for previous cars. Cannot comment on quality as they sit unwrapped in my shed untill i need them..

Care to share your source?

105e

Just saw them advertised on ebay (£70 odd each) so decided to watch them, then got an ebay offer of just over £50 each so i bought them. Dont appear to have kept a receipt so   dont remember seller, but from my fast fading memory maybe a "firstline" product

tets

I bought the energised customs ones and they went on fine and are still like new although I don't do many miles!! Probably 500 tops

normanh

I had their drop links barely lasted a year before the rubbers rotted out they were just far to soft, told them at the time and they sent new ones same issue so I have replaced them with PU poly bushes.

Norman

shnazzle

All in all I'm not feeling the love for my new wishbones to be honest.
Feel like I might as well chuck them in the bin after this thread...  :(
...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

Quote from: 105e on May 25, 2020, 10:11Just saw them advertised on ebay (£70 odd each) so decided to watch them, then got an ebay offer of just over £50 each so i bought them. Dont appear to have kept a receipt so   dont remember seller, but from my fast fading memory maybe a "firstline" product

Thank you for that.
I've found the below link that seems to fit your description, I 'll keep my eye on them.

There are other suppliers listing at very much higher prices, I would seriously check with MrT though before paying the £300+ prices advertised.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Car-Control-Arms-Parts-for-2002-Toyota-MR-2/33583/bn_7017807891?maspect=contextType%3ACAR_AND_TRUCK&MCar+Make=Toyota&MCars+Year=2002&MCars+Type=1.8+16V+VT-i

Ardent

Quote from: shnazzle on May 25, 2020, 21:13All in all I'm not feeling the love for my new wishbones to be honest.
Feeling a bit like that myself.

shnazzle

Quote from: Ardent on May 25, 2020, 22:38
Quote from: shnazzle on May 25, 2020, 21:13All in all I'm not feeling the love for my new wishbones to be honest.
Feeling a bit like that myself.
I suppose one option is to replace the bushes with poly (which I don't really want) or sell/bin these and buy an extortionate set of Toyota arms
...neutiquam erro.

Bossworld

My new arms have arrived which I'm fairly sure are 12mm but depending on where I place the tape measure could be argued as 12mm or 14mm.

Took the part number from earlier in this thread - 48069-59035.  The 14mm are meant to be 48069-59055 I believe but I'm concerned about the 'Yaris Verso' designation on the label.

Least these ones arrived in a box within a box, are stamped with the manufacturer's logo, and the rubber looks OK.  I spotted an Alibaba link for $3.99 arms which is concerning as it's probably the source of the others which have caused issue.

Will aim to get these fitted later in the week and report back

Bossworld

Right then, so I lost 3 hours this evening but thought I'd just get it done.

Initial thoughts - thank god A) I bought a windy gun when I did the suspension refresh and B) I put a tiny bit of copperslip on the bolts last time (not the threads).

The only difficult part that probably took an hour in total was getting the ball joints out, the driver's side in particular was difficult even with a hammer fork type remover.

The replacement arms are much better assembled, the rear bush is evenly distributed on both sides, the ball joint rubber looks OK on initial inspection.

I'm not holding much hope of a refund tbh as the offside balljoint on the ones that came off is now buggered but I took pics of the tears while it was still in position.

I found a link on Alibaba which shows you can get no-name arms for $3.99 when purchased in bulk - https://m.alibaba.com/product/60775135075/Steering-parts-wishbone-suspension-control-arm.html given the issues some of us have had, and the lack of any retail packaging, I wouldn't be surprised if they form the bulk of the ones on sale on eBay.

One last point - take a look at the balljoint cover when the wheels are straight ahead and the weight of the hub is supported by a jack. I don't now much about balljoints but that's quite a way over to one side already, don't know if that would have contributed to issues and or the Yaris compatibility debate?

Joesson

Further to my post #86 above I revisited the link and after a brief trawl found these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ball-Joint-Front-Lower-Toyota-Yaris-/363123675626

And we , I believe, are generally understanding that component parts of the arms are not available.
£36.95 , A lot of money for a track rod end, but  it says they are to suit a 2:
This item fits 1 version(s) of the Toyota MR 2 2002 MK III [1999-2007] Convertible 1.8 16V VT-i Convertible 1794ccm 140HP 103KW (Petrol):

Looking at the eBay ad, there is a banner showing the whole link arm for a Yaris,  LH and RH, these are at less cost than the TRE  and are stated as being in Morley Yorkshire.
No reference that I can see for compatibility with a 2.

PS.
Looking back over this thread (again) I saw @Topdownman 's post #77 where he had found an ad. for all three bushes required for these arms. It seems that there are many parts at various prices with uncertain quality.
Has TCB been asked what he can offer?

Bossworld

Sorry Joesson I didn't see your reply.

Hopefully my last ever post on the subject but Energized Customs refunded me within hours of receiving the parts back (they paid for the courier) so other than 3 hours the other night, I've not lost anything having to swap them out.

I can't speak for TCB (as per earlier, my hunch would be that no one can truly confirm Yaris < > MR2 compatibility) but I found this on Spyderchat and it seems our American cousins have had the same debate regarding Scion/Vitz < > MR2, and they've gone into far more detail about actually swapping out the innards of the arms:

https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/control-arm.152031/

Joesson

@Bossworld
Frustrating, time wasting but the money return helps ease the pain!
My mention of TCB was as in have we asked what prices he can offer the OE control arms at?
The Spydermen have certainly tried many options. I noticed the arms seemed remarkably well preserved complete with paint, not like a typical arm in the UK.
Maybe from a sunshine state or generally less/ no salt on the roads, or summer time only use from new?

Dev

There is a much easier way. The ball joints on the factory arms are quality and last a very long time. It is better to just replace the bushings with Superpro, Whiteline or Energy Suspension than use an inferior manufactured part with questionable ball joints and rubber that might not last with possible tolerance issues. The  poly bushings replacements were researched for the application and have similar shore rating. Once they are replaced the poly bushings can last a very long time without any squeaking or coming apart.   
 They do sell aftermarket ball joints but some of them have inferior  re-greasable fittings. Toyota joints simply put are quality where there is no equivalent. 

Bossworld

Quote from: Dev on October 13, 2020, 16:12There is a much easier way. The ball joints on the factory arms are quality and last a very long time. It is better to just replace the bushings with Superpro, Whiteline or Energy Suspension than use an inferior manufactured part with questionable ball joints and rubber that might not last with possible tolerance issues. The  poly bushings replacements were researched for the application and have similar shore rating. Once they are replaced the poly bushings can last a very long time without any squeaking or coming apart.   
 They do sell aftermarket ball joints but some of them have inferior  re-greasable fittings. Toyota joints simply put are quality where there is no equivalent. 

I think one of the issues we're up against (and apologies Dev as I think I've laboured this same point to you before) is the weather/road salt and the way it attacks our cars in the UK.  I'd never have got my old arms out in one piece. 

Other's luck will certainly vary but as I'm looking to trade up to a VW Golf mk6, one of the things that kills me about the MR2s is how expensive suspension components are as they're specific to the MR2.  Was very fortunate to get a lightly used set of struts from Tomo and changed the top mounts, but I couldn't justify £700 on parts only for a suspension refresh.

Dev

Quote from: Bossworld on October 13, 2020, 18:15
Quote from: Dev on October 13, 2020, 16:12There is a much easier way. The ball joints on the factory arms are quality and last a very long time. It is better to just replace the bushings with Superpro, Whiteline or Energy Suspension than use an inferior manufactured part with questionable ball joints and rubber that might not last with possible tolerance issues. The  poly bushings replacements were researched for the application and have similar shore rating. Once they are replaced the poly bushings can last a very long time without any squeaking or coming apart.   

I think one of the issues we're up against (and apologies Dev as I think I've laboured this same point to you before) is the weather/road salt and the way it attacks our cars in the UK.  I'd never have got my old arms out in one piece. 

Other's luck will certainly vary but as I'm looking to trade up to a VW Golf mk6, one of the things that kills me about the MR2s is how expensive suspension components are as they're specific to the MR2.  Was very fortunate to get a lightly used set of struts from Tomo and changed the top mounts, but I couldn't justify £700 on parts only for a suspension refresh.

I remember all too well the issues you guys faced when I sold Energy Suspension bushing with tool kit to you guys as the front spool bushing was fused to the arm for many of you. I have sold this kit all over the world without issue except the problems you guys faced and it might be the kind of salt that is used to melt ice which causes corrosion. We salt our roads also but have now switched to less salt mixed in with sand.

There is a way around this and that is to burn it out with a torch or you can drill holes into the rubber and cut it out. 
 The ball joint on this car requires a good ball joint separator tool that looks like a clamp and it will work without fail but if you use a pickle fork it will damage the joint. 

Even if the arm is damaged some other way other than what I described its still worth the trouble to buy a good used set from a wrecker and then replace the bushings with Superpro.   

I haven't had one customer report an issue with these bushings except for one that received the wrong metal sleeves that was probably a factory error when they were packing the bushings. For the long term Im impressed with how well these bushings have held up on my car without the squeaks that poly bushings are known for because they were designed with channels to capture the grease.
 I worry about using inferior Chinese manufactured parts as they may skimp out on the quality and I think its down right dangerous for the ball joint to come separated when performance driving.

scm2004red

Sorry to butt in on another's thread, but I am totally confused over replacement lower control arms!!

A report on my last MOT recorded failed ball joint covers on both lower arms requiring repair.

Reading various posts on the lower arms, I am confused as to whether the ball joint is a replaceable item, or whether it requires a new lower arm complete, and if it does is there a suitable replacement arm yaris/scion/MR2 which economically does the job.

It's a bit like the latest Covid measures, a bit foggy and confusing :( A definitive answer would be helpful :-*
MR2 Red Edition 2004
Porsche 924 1984

StuC

Quote from: scm2004red on October 14, 2020, 11:51Sorry to butt in on another's thread, but I am totally confused over replacement lower control arms!!

A report on my last MOT recorded failed ball joint covers on both lower arms requiring repair.

Reading various posts on the lower arms, I am confused as to whether the ball joint is a replaceable item, or whether it requires a new lower arm complete, and if it does is there a suitable replacement arm yaris/scion/MR2 which economically does the job.

It's a bit like the latest Covid measures, a bit foggy and confusing :( A definitive answer would be helpful :-*

I replaced mine with eBay Yaris arms. After a year and 6k miles the rubber had perished.
I have another Yaris set on now so will see how they hold up.

Are you doing the work yourself?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Joesson

Quote from: scm2004red on October 14, 2020, 11:51Sorry to butt in on another's thread, but I am totally confused over replacement lower control arms!!

I suggest that the "definitive answer" could be OE/ Mr T replacements, that is the arm complete with track rod end and two bushes. Downside of that is the cost.
Other Members have tried various suppliers of much lower priced "similar" Yaris complete replacement arms but to my reading have short lives, particularly with the TRE rubber boot.
In the above posts both our own Forum supplier @TCB and @Dev advocate the use of aftermarket bushes in the OE arms with SuperPro bushes, these being designed to meet the OE specifications.
The track rod ends would seem to be the items that do not have a particular replacement and a branded serviceable item could perhaps be the object of a "Group Search" .

Tags: