Missfire and black smoke

Started by 2000mr2, March 23, 2023, 13:06

Joesson

Quote from: 2000mr2 on April  2, 2023, 08:09Just tested the gasket with tissue tapped to a screwdriver and went all the way round, and couldn't find any leaks, will wait till it's cooled down then try soapy water around it see if I can see it bubbling though .

That is a test for ambient temperature gas pressure leaks but I believe the water will boil at exhaust gas temps and give unwanted bubbles.

2000mr2

Quote from: Joesson on April  2, 2023, 09:02That is a test for ambient temperature gas pressure leaks but I believe the water will boil at exhaust gas temps and give unwanted bubbles.
Oh, is there any other way to test it then ?

Joesson

Quote from: 2000mr2 on April  2, 2023, 09:05Oh, is there any other way to test it then ?

There may be some, likely costly, gadget for such a test but on a wet Sunday in Lincolnshire @Carolyn 's flappy paper stick is the gold standard.

Ardent

2000mr2

I have put the oe manifold gasket on now the 02 sensors are reading right it goes from rich to lean like it should a lot better than before but I'm still get engine codes saying bank 1 and 2 are rich.
I also looked for air leaks by the method above and couldn't find anything.
I'll try fuel pressure next

J88TEO

Quote from: 2000mr2 on April  1, 2023, 18:42U know any places that sell them that are cheep that are good.
I got eBay ones but they say there denso and that there oem
I have a set of OEM injectors - I can lend them to you to try out.
PM me your address andf I will pop them in then post for you.

Ardent

As a handy ref. the areas to investigate are
Injector leak, blockage
Mass air flow meter
Engine coolant temp. sensor
Ignition system
Fuel pressure
Gas leakage on exhaust system
Open or short in heated oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)
circuit
Heated oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)
ECM

mr2garageswindon

Quote from: 2000mr2 on April  1, 2023, 18:42U know any places that sell them that are cheep that are good.
I got eBay ones but they say there denso and that there oem

Didn't somebody on here buy Denso injectors from ebay to find out they were fake??

I knew I read it somewhere.. see below.

mr2garageswindon

Not a plea for help, but a warning and help for others.

I couldn't find my 1zz-fe original injectors, I spent so many hours looking for them. Gave up hope so bought another set on ebay. Lots of quite expensive second hand dirty grim ones, but spotted full sets of new ones for £32 to £50 on ebay and amazong etc. All listed as 23250-22040 Denso OEM injectors. Bought them, delivered in 2 days... laughing!

I fitted them not paying too much attention - they are green they say denso etc.

After a drive I thought it was running a bit rich, the smell gives it away, rougher tick over too. Then on a long cruise got the engine warning light with a fault code for being too rich:-

P0172 System too Rich (Fuel Trim) (Bank 1)

Looking at the fuel trims, they were maxing out the negatives... -25% etc.... and still the lamda was up at 0.95 0.98 etc..... we are running massively rich and the ECU cannot lean it out enough.

Thought I might have knocked the MAF so swapped it with a spare... still the same.

After loads more digging I found my original Toyota Denso 23250-22040 !

Put them in, and the fuel trims dropped to normality. No more rich code etc.

SO BEWARE OF THESE CHINESE COPY FAKE INJECTORS! THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN A DENSO FACTORY - LOOK FOR THE CIRCLES ON THE SIDE FROM THE INJECTION MOULDING EJECTORS PINS. ALSO THE PART NUMBER AND DENSO LOGO IS ON THE WRONG SIDE AND THE NOZZLES LOOK DIFFERENT.

Orange seal and lighter green are the ebay fakes.

Good fuel trims with the original Toyota Denso injectors

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Dev

Yes beware of counterfeit more than ever. In the past you could tell because there were some obvious differences but over time they kept getting better but you can still tell because the original part looks like a copy and the knock off having a better finish. 
 Now the parts are nearly indistinguishable and you have to look hard for markings like micro laser etching that only the factory can do. You can forget about the holograms that are on the packaging because the Chinese have mastered that also.
 It's not to say you can't get original parts from eBay and Amazon but you still never know because these days it's better to go directly to the dealership. Salvage parts have never let me down as a good alternative of saving money on original equipment parts.

M.Dub

Had this problem myself, running rich both banks.swapped injectors still didn't solve it so tried everything else and ended back at the injectors. Spent some proper money on a real set and problem solved. Most injectors you see in line are fake.

M.Dub

👍

Tags: