ULEZ - how to make compliant?

Started by Dagnet, July 28, 2023, 15:29

Dagnet

Hello everyone. It looks like the ULEZ expansion is actually going ahead in London. Unfortunately, I own a 2000 pre-facelift model that isn't compliant. However, the exact same car (same engine, same catalytic converter, so same emissions) that is 2001, 2002 or 2003 reg is ULEZ charge exempt. It is in my understanding that these cars were designed to pass strict emission standards, due to using a pre-cat and a main cat.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make my car ULEZ charge exempt? And what I will need to do?

It's rather difficult finding any information or pointers on this issue so any input will help.

Dag

Topdownman

I have no experience of ulez myself but cant imagine that there is anything you can do to change an individual car, it is going to be based on the reg. no and what the database they use says about it.

You could check the database for other pre facelift reg nos (look on autotrader etc for some examples) to see if they are the same as your car. If they are not, perhaps you could challenge the actual database?

If they  are the same, I assume you would need to change to a facelift car that is ok.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

shnazzle

You can make it technically ULEZ compliant by adding a post-cat O2 sensor and changing the ECU to a facelift.
But the car won't be registered as such and you know the gov't; if computer says no...
...neutiquam erro.

Alex Knight

I would challenge it.

My 2014 Euro 6 Audi A3 was showing as not being eligible for the Bristol clean air zone.

Given it's Euro status of 6, I challenged this and they changed it in a few days.

Dagnet

Thanks for the pointers. Looks like it should be possible without any mods, as I've searched several no. plates from pre-facelift cars from 2001 to 2003 that don't have to pay ULEZ tax

idiotgap

All you have to prove is that your car, as designed, emits less than 0.08g/km of NOx

There is a form to fill in here:
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/compliance-registration/before-you-start

The 'usual' way of proving this seems to be to send in a 'certificate of conformity' from the manufacturer, many will send you one for your car for a fee. Toyota however don't want to do this for cars over 20 years old.

Does it state the NOx level on your v5?
Dave K
2001 PFL Cape Green

The Other Stu

Although mine's a facelift, it was showing as non compliant.
I wrote to TFL via the website explaining that it was the same engine as my previous car which was showing as compliant.

I also quoted a number of other registrations which showed as compliant.

They wrote back and confirmed that they had changed it. It now shows up being fine.

Maybe try that with some similar or older cars that you know go through.
No Longer Here

fawtytoo

I have a 52 plate PFL.
QuoteYou don't have to pay the ULEZ or LEZ charge for this vehicle.

There is no need to register it - we know it already meets the emissions standards for ULEZ and LEZ, has no charge due or is exempt from the schemes.

You will need to pay the Congestion Charge as normal.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Dagnet

Quote from: The Other Stu on July 29, 2023, 09:02Although mine's a facelift, it was showing as non compliant.
I wrote to TFL via the website explaining that it was the same engine as my previous car which was showing as compliant.

They wrote back and confirmed that they had changed it. It now shows up being fine.

This sounds very promising! I'll give this a go before forking out £75 for a CoC

inigopete

This is great information, thanks. And helps widen my search for an MR2, as I live inside the new ULEZ. :)

AJRFulton

A little off topic - I own 4 vehicles. I find it somewhat ironic that the most polluting - 2019 Peugeot Boxer camper - is the only one that is compliant with Glasgow's LEZ.

London's ULEZ seems deeply unpopular. My company has an office in west London and I know it's hated by the staff there.

inigopete

Quote from: The Other Stu on July 29, 2023, 09:02Although mine's a facelift, it was showing as non compliant.

Possibly a newbie question - there'll be quite a lot from me, sorry - but will this work for _all_ PFL cars? There's a rather nice-looking 2000 early model I've got my eye on, but because I'll want to use it as a regular driver the ULEZ thing is a bit of a deal-breaker.

The Other Stu

Quote from: inigopete on August 10, 2023, 08:56Possibly a newbie question - there'll be quite a lot from me, sorry - but will this work for _all_ PFL cars? There's a rather nice-looking 2000 early model I've got my eye on, but because I'll want to use it as a regular driver the ULEZ thing is a bit of a deal-breaker.
i'm not sure anyone could guarantee.
If ULEZ is a dealbreaker, I'd be looking at a 52 plate onwards as most of those show as compliant.
No Longer Here

J88TEO

Check the VRM on DVLA website and it should tell you.

inigopete

Quote from: J88TEO on August 10, 2023, 10:07Check the VRM on DVLA website and it should tell you.

Yes, that was my first call - the DVLA website says the car is _not_ ULEZ-compliant, but @The Other Stu 's post above suggests I may be able to convince the DVLA that it should be. I just wondered if there was any reason an early model wouldn't have the same emissions as later ones.

J88TEO

Looks like my X reg 2 is not ULEZ compliant too!
Will have to scrap her.... :(  :(  :(

Chilli Girl

Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

idiotgap

Since the ulez requires a certain nox emmissions level rather than a date of manufacture and all MR2 roadsters have the same engine which is much better than the required standard there doesn't seem any reason why it shouldn't be possible to have any roadster which currently shows as non-compliant on the website corrected. Don't scrap or sell yet!
Dave K
2001 PFL Cape Green

barchetta_ms

A bit confusing - I looked up a few PFL cars on Autotrader and then put their reg numbers through the TFL site (https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/).

2000 : non compliant
2001 : compliant
2002 : compliant

Are they basing this purely on the year? Did anything change from 2000->2001 with the engine?

jvanzyl

Quote from: barchetta_ms on August 11, 2023, 14:41A bit confusing - I looked up a few PFL cars on Autotrader and then put their reg numbers through the TFL site (https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/).

Are they basing this purely on the year? Did anything change from 2000->2001 with the engine?

Nothing changed with the engine- but it's possible there's a difference in the ECU mapping. I highly doubt this though and it's a matter of Government ineptitude.

J88TEO

I think it was from 2001 that DVLA started recording the emmision levels on the V5.

The Other Stu

Quote from: barchetta_ms on August 11, 2023, 14:41A bit confusing - I looked up a few PFL cars on Autotrader and then put their reg numbers through the TFL site (https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/).

As I said near the top of the page, my current one (2004) wasn't showing as compliant.
I think they make these things up.

But yes, as previously mentioned, post 2001 should be OK
No Longer Here

idiotgap

Quote from: J88TEO on August 11, 2023, 15:00I think it was from 2001 that DVLA started recording the emmision levels on the V5.
Seems like taxation started to use nox from 1st Jan 2000 and I thought I read it was included from Apr 1999, but I don't have cars of the right years to check that back. Only data I have is that nox value is on the v5c for my 2001 MR2 which TFL say is ulez approved but my 1984 merc has that section blank and that has to pay ULEZ (until next year when it becomes 'historic').
Dave K
2001 PFL Cape Green

paulj

Quote from: J88TEO on August 11, 2023, 15:00I think it was from 2001 that DVLA started recording the emmision levels on the V5.
Just checked my V5 for a 2000 pfl - no g/km listed
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

J88TEO

Quote from: paulj on September  4, 2023, 17:18Just checked my V5 for a 2000 pfl - no g/km listed
...ditto...here. My X reg has no g/km listed too.

Tags: