2006 Passenger side window no longer retracts

Started by carspath, October 13, 2023, 16:12

carspath

As per the title the passenger window is stuck in the UP ( fortunately , considering today's downpour ) position .

The Driver's side window works perfectly - the passenger side window not at all .

1 ) What is the logical sequence for tryingto detect what the fault is .... ie , which of the components within the chain has the worst history for breaking down ?

2 ) I am not technically minded , nor do I have many tools , but i wonder if a wire has come loose from teh window motor ----- how do I remove the door card to check this ?

3 ) Also how would i access the centre console switch to see if that is at fault ? 

All suggestions and advice gratefully received .

SV-3

Hi

Check/operate the window lock switch to the right of the steering wheel.
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Gibla

From the symptoms you gave

I had very similar, and it turned out to be the passenger window switch which was 'gummed-up' with carbon like goo that simply needed cleaning off with sandpaper/file.

You access this by loosening the centre console which is held in by a screw on either side of it. 

This is if reply in post #1 didn't work
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Joesson

@carspath
As @SV-3 writes check the window lock switch to the right of the steering wheel.
That will stop the passenger window opening.
You will not be the first to fall foul of the switch that has no useful function!

Ardent

s12vea

TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

fawtytoo

That darned switch has had me a couple of times.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Ardent

carspath

Hi everyone ,

Thanks for all the replies

Thanks to previous reading of the owners manual and MR2ROC , I knew about teh switch to teh Right of the steering wheel and sadly that is not the problem ... I wish it was !!

So I'll try removing the central console and cleaning the passengersside switch next ... wish me luck !!

I'll report back .

Thanks everyone

Ardent

@carspath

If removing the center console and all 4 screws are present. Then my top tip is to whip out the seats. Sounds excessive but much quicker than fiddling about with the front screws that are obscured by the seats.
When you put the seats  back in, they are torqued to 35nm.

Joesson

@carspath

Another top tip is not to replace the obscured screws when you put the consul back. Mine are in the (redundant) ashtray, wrapped in a tissue to stop them rattling.
Not found a need to replace them and the seats don't need to come out to remove the consul to adjust the handbrake, that will be a job for you at some point.

carspath

Oh dear .... its beginning to sound too complex for me to get teh central console out .
Where exactly are these obscured srews please ?

Anything else I can check first -- how difficult is it to remove the door cards to get to the window motor .... is it likely that teh motor has failed ?

Thank you

Ardent

Each seat is only four easily accessible bolts.

The 2 rear console securing screws are easily visible. The two front ones are obscured by the seat squab.
You can remove with a cranked type screwdriver or whatever combo you can come up with.

I will wager you a coffee, you can undo and remove the the four bolts to the seats quicker than fiddling about with the screws.
Then as @Joesson dont bother putting the front two back. I currently have no screws securing the console. Guess what? Nothing, it just sits there.

Point of order.
Once the bolts are removed, this allows you to tilt the backrest forward and then tilt the whole seat backwards allowing easy access to the hidden screw, so not even technically removing.

i take it the front screws are actually there?

Petrus

I use a Philips head bit in the small ratchet wrench for the front screws if I don´t have the seat(s) out.

Joesson

Quote from: Petrus on October 15, 2023, 11:08I use a Philips head bit in the small ratchet wrench for the front screws if I don´t have the seat(s) out.

There's not much of the seats in your car anyway, and I would think that at least two consul screws are permanently removed from the car.

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on October 15, 2023, 12:46There's not much of the seats in your car anyway,

So no seat cushions to hold it tight: My console nééds the screws.

carspath

Great , Thank you for the information and the encouragement ....much appreciated

Ardent

@carspath

you have your location as UK, might you be able to narrow that down a little.
Might be someone more local that could assist.

Petrus

Quote from: carspath on October 15, 2023, 21:37Great , Thank you for the information and the encouragement ....much appreciated

On youtube there are two or three nice illustrations of how to get the door card out if it would get to that. It really is a doddle. It would help if you borrow a spatula from the kitchen to act as the ´panel clip tool´. Wiggling it i¡under the panel is a bit easier on the card and clips than fingers and pulling but that will work too  ;)
Unlikely you will need to though.
But do look at the videos. Will boost confidence.

carspath

Thank you Petrus and Ardent ...... I'm in West Dorset .

MR2 mk3's are an uncommon sight here , but just this last week I've seen two , including an identical red 2004 9 mine is a 2006 car ) in the Dorchester Tesco car park !!

Would be great to get to know any mk 3 owners in this area .

Thanks again Both

Tags: