the loud pedal enigma(s)

Started by Petrus, October 16, 2023, 22:17

Petrus

Taking mine out for lubrication and if needed shimming of the cable end. Noticed something ´interesting´.
We have two different loud pedals in our ZZW30; spot the differences.

First the later version:

This is the early one:

First thing is I like the tie wrap securing the spring to the pedal.

Ok, the questions; totally inconsequential because both work satisfactory but is does make me wonder so:

- The first is whý the developments?
One thing is the later model has the mounting bracket under most of the pedal arm. Would that perhaps be an indirect consequence of the floor matt issue?

- Second question is why the counterweight?

Joesson

To my eyes the early arrangement is dependent upon the spring preventing side to side movement of the lever of the pedal and that is "enhanced" by the tie wrap.
In the later arrangement the lever appears to be welded to the extended spindle of the spring assembly preventing sideways movement.
In both cases the spring resists downward pressure of the pedal.
As to why the change I suggest that side ways movement of the lever occurred or the risk reconsidered as the change prevents such movement.
The counterweight position has been changed from under to over the lever arm, which would provide greater clearance below the lever / counterweight assembly. Perhaps that was a pinch point for a misplaced carpet.
A counterweight in such a position would typically be used to provide a certainty of required movement if the prime source, the spring, failed but it does not look to be heavy enough for that purpose.
Perhaps the counterweight produces a more balanced pedal feel?

PS , further to @Petrus revision #2 below-
Serems like I answered the wrong question! ,
So, the developed design is without welding and with with tie wrap, in which case it looks to be money saving/ penny pinching " mods".

Petrus

My apologies for having causes some confusion by having placed photos of the later version first and the first version later.

P.e. the counter weight changed from over to under. It perfectly illustrated both my questions: Why the changes and what does it do?
The spring changed from pushing the pedal arm directly down to pushing it up at the other side of the pivot and thus indirectly down.

They must have had valid reasons.

Petrus

Suggestion elsewhere:

Isn't the weight's purpose to prevent going full throttle in a frontal collision? During the crash to counteract inertia of the foot and pedal.

For one I can´t see this tiny weight doing anything forceful unless at silly Gs in which case any effect on the throttle is a way passed station.

Imo it is for NVH (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise,_vibration,_and_harshness) only.

Tags: