Potentially dead MR2 - options

Started by Ferrousfe, January 4, 2024, 09:40

Ferrousfe

Good morning all,

Apologies if this isn't in the right place but wasn't sure where to put it!

I have a 2004 MR2 which developed rod knock a month or so ago (just after it passed it's MOT  :'(  )
I turned it off fairly soon after I heard it but assuming the damage might be done now...

I've turned it over by hand and it still turns and has resistance (so it's not lost all compression), drained the oil and it isn't full of swarf

I have bought new rod bearings in all 3 sizes hoping I can open it and replace if the damage wasn't too bad. However I've tried to start this job a few times and moving the car without it's engine is a huge pain and one of the oil pan bolts is as round as it is tight...

So why the post?
Well I'm living back at my parents house at the moment while my house sale is going through and I don't have the space to try and sort it, so I'm thinking of scraping it, but I'd rather it not "die".

Is there anyone that would be interested in taking it? I just want it to live on really.
It has done ~178K miles at this point though!

Thanks,
Jordan

JB21

Contact Andy at J-Spec as he may take it off your hands for breaking. At least the parts will live on, even if the whole car doesn't.

Iain

Ferrousfe

Quote from: Iain on January  4, 2024, 10:07Whereabouts are you located?

Based in Daventry in Northamptonshire

Iain

Chilli Girl

Any news re saving this little car or not? :(
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Ferrousfe

Quote from: Chilli Girl on January  5, 2024, 13:21Any news re saving this little car or not? :(
No solid leads yet, a few options for selling it on as a parts car, but seems a shame as it's just had a new clutch and 4 new tyres 😞

Ferrousfe

Update 09/01 14:15
I've had another go and I've got the rounded bolt out, so no bolts holding the oil pan in atm.
Now I can begin the horrid task of removing the pan and breaking the sealant... wish me luck...

Update 09/01 15:45
Managed to get the oil pan off fairly easily now, no metal in the pan and all looks clean, no obvious damage or discolouration from heat.
Bearing on cylinder 3 looks out of tolerance but silly me I bought a 3/8 12point instead of a 10mm, so oil pan reattached and will continue tomorrow once amazon has delivered...

Update 11/01 10:40
I've had a look at all the bearings, going to measure with plastigauge, but they actually all look fine. Done cyclinder 2/3 and they measured within tolerance, so now I'm at a bit of a loss.

Anyone have any ideas if there's any other issues this could be that sound like rod knock?

Ferrousfe

Any help on the above anyone?
Here's some pictures of bearing for reference:

Carolyn

Nowt wrong with those.  I'd pull number one and number four, just to be sure.  Number one tends to be the first to spin a bearing under momentary oil starvation.

If they look the same, it wasn't rod knock. 

I'd get a stethoscope and see if you can pin it down to an area.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

mr2garageswindon

Inlet manifold flap rattle..

Carolyn

Quote from: mr2garageswindon on January 11, 2024, 12:07Inlet manifold flap rattle..

I've got a couple of inlet manifolds sitting around. One could be sent for the cost off postage.

MR2LUV

Quote from: Ferrousfe on January  5, 2024, 23:17No solid leads yet, a few options for selling it on as a parts car, but seems a shame as it's just had a new clutch and 4 new tyres 😞

pmd you mate

Ferrousfe

Quote from: Carolyn on January 11, 2024, 12:01Nowt wrong with those.  I'd pull number one and number four, just to be sure.  Number one tends to be the first to spin a bearing under momentary oil starvation.

If they look the same, it wasn't rod knock. 

I'd get a stethoscope and see if you can pin it down to an area.

All 4 look good, so I guess I'm going to reseal the pan and fill it with fresh oil and a new filter.
I'll then take a listen and see if it's coming from the top end near the inlet.

I wish I'd have done this first but as the noise sounded so much like rod knock I dreaded the idea of running it for even a few seconds to listen in.

Is the inlet flap issue non-destructive? If I run it is there any chance of getting inlet "bits" sucked into the cylinder?

Carolyn

Quote from: Ferrousfe on January 11, 2024, 13:51All 4 look good, so I guess I'm going to reseal the pan and fill it with fresh oil and a new filter.
I'll then take a listen and see if it's coming from the top end near the inlet.

I wish I'd have done this first but as the noise sounded so much like rod knock I dreaded the idea of running it for even a few seconds to listen in.

Is the inlet flap issue non-destructive? If I run it is there any chance of getting inlet "bits" sucked into the cylinder?

Not really but it will get on your tits.

mr2garageswindon

Have a look on youtube, usually on corolla 1.4.
Some sound worse than others.

Worth a comparison..

Ferrousfe

Evening guys,
It's all back together with fresh oil and I've started it again.

It sounds horrendous, too bad for me to deal with having the engine on and go near it.

Any ideas what on earth this could be if not rod knock? Engine starts with relative ease...

It keeps reporting P0303 misfire on 3

https://youtu.be/90pk_meQUKg?si=XG8ulIEJt5z1LiHk

https://youtube.com/shorts/pNZkl1NYzmA?si=-r5uBnjrkxHeo-m4

Iain

Ardent

I take it the cam cover, cover is removed for the purpose of investigation not just never on.

Carolyn

Are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak??

A bad blow at the manifold to cat can sound like that.

Ferrousfe

I've have a look at the spark plugs and see if there's anything going on with them. Also will check the exhaust and see if there's any blowing.

Engine cover is off as I swapped coils to see if misfire moved to c2, problem stayed at c3

Appreciate the help so far all!

McMr2

Quote from: Carolyn on January 13, 2024, 18:44Are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak??

A bad blow at the manifold to cat can sound like that.

This is a good shout. Had similar on another car (Suzuki Alto for the curious) and thought something in the top end was broken/loose/worn. Tiny hole in the exhaust manifold was the cause.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Alex Knight

If you've got a long screwdriver, get your ear on it and move it around various parts of the engine, like a low tech stethoscope. It should help you pinpoint the general location, ie: cylinder head, block etc.

Though I'd investigate the misfire as a priority.

Whip all the plugs out, but keep them in order and compare them.

Ferrousfe

So I've found the problem all... Not sure how thrilled I am though...

Looks like the spark plug was loose and has bashed against the coil and probably hot combustion gas has aided in melting the coil.

My main concern is where all the material went and is it in the cylinder, mainly because the gap on the spark plug has been closed somehow

Very disheartened but think I'm going to try a new plug to see whether it'll even do up properly and then maybe run the engine for a few seconds with coil 3 in c2 to see whether c3 runs properly

Carolyn

Fingers crossed it will tighten down ok.  There doesn't seem to be any ally in the threads, so I'm hopeful.

I have a spare head...

Tags: