Gravity Performance or Malian exhaust - which is best?

Started by Rocket Monkey, February 3, 2024, 11:35

Rocket Monkey

Both Gravity Performance or Malian are producing similar components at similar prices, is one generally considered better quality in terms of manufacture and fit?

In this instance I'm looking specifically at manifolds to replace the pre cat, links below;

Gravity Performance - https://www.gravityperformance.co.uk/product/exhaust/exhaust-manifolds/exhaust-manifold-toyota-mr2-w30-roadster-mrs-1-8-00-07/

Malian - https://malianexhausts.com/product/toyota-mr2-spyder-1-8-catback-performance-stainless-steel-exhaust-system-copy/

Iain

Ive had the gravity one for just over 3 years. My car is track use only so gets a fair bit of abuse. Its also been wrapped for about 2 years now and ive had no problems at all.

jvanzyl

They are very likely both sourced from alibaba in a bulk purchase.

Malian have been around for a bit, never heard of gravity.

An upgrade in quality will take you to zero exhausts. But it is a bigger price jump.

Rocket Monkey

Quote from: Iain on February  3, 2024, 13:16Ive had the gravity one for just over 3 years. My car is track use only so gets a fair bit of abuse. Its also been wrapped for about 2 years now and ive had no problems at all.

Thanks Iain, I think these are my preference of the two, as much as I can tell by online images the weld and construction look better on the Gravity Performance product.

Quote from: jvanzyl on February  3, 2024, 13:16They are very likely both sourced from alibaba in a bulk purchase.

Malian have been around for a bit, never heard of gravity.

An upgrade in quality will take you to zero exhausts. But it is a bigger price jump.

True enough, it doesn't mean one still can't be better than the other though ;)

I did see the Zero exhausts and they look very good, probably overkill for this project though.

Ardent

not knowing what the project is. I will wager the Zero is the better quality.

Carolyn

If you can get one, Toyosports are good and affordable.  They make them in batches, so you might have to wait for one, or not, depending on timing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204135729654?hash=item2f877009f6:g:0kUAAOSwpstjXW92

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jvanzyl

I've got an old PPE setup (heavy pitting in the mild steel tubes), and my old zero manifold that I should get rid of at some point...

What exactly did you have in mind for this "project"?

Carolyn

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Rocket Monkey

Quote from: jvanzyl on February  4, 2024, 13:56I've got an old PPE setup (heavy pitting in the mild steel tubes), and my old zero manifold that I should get rid of at some point...

What exactly did you have in mind for this "project"?

It's not really a project as such, it's a car I adopted when a family member passed away last year but it's become a really enjoyable daily driver and there's obviously a sentimental attachment with it too.

I like how simple the MR2 is and I've enjoyed driving it just the way it is as Toyota intended. I think too often people embark on a journey of upgrades and improvment only to lose the essence of what attracted them a particular car in the first place so I'm being careful not to tread that path by intentionally sticking to OE parts or good value aftermarket parts where it's a better option.

I've fitted some 30mm drop Tein springs (but only becuase one of the OE spings had snapped so needed to be replaced and the Tiens were better value than a pair of rear OE springs) and the brakes have been overhauled with OE parts to get it through an MOT, I resisted the urge to upgrade discs and pads etc. Aesthetically the poor thing has seen better days (no corrosion, just an inner city life with the dents and dings that go with it) so I'm just doing what's required to keep the car in decent mechanical shape.

A sensible preventative measure seems to be to lose the precat for the usual reason. I know I could remove, chisel out the catalytic material out and refit at no cost but I value my lungs and my eyes plus a straight through manifold is aesthetically a lot neater so I thought I'd indulge the little MR2 with that.

Is your old Zero manifold stanless or mild steel?

jvanzyl

Hey sorry I didn't reply- got distracted and didn't remember to respond.

The Zero exhausts are made of high grade stainless steel.

Bugster_MR2

Bugster
2001 red with KW3, TRD rear brace, Zero race cat and MAF-mod.
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Rocket Monkey on February  4, 2024, 16:42I've fitted some 30mm drop Tein springs (but only becuase one of the OE spings had snapped so needed to be replaced and the Tiens were better value than a pair of rear OE springs)

Do you mean a pair of springs from a Toyota dealer?

The original struts are KYB which I'm sure will have KYB springs too.

They are much cheaper than Tein.   

You haven't said you changed the shocks, - if not, you now have a 33% stiffer spring operating a worn shock.

Tags: