I need to clear a code

Started by Smithy, February 13, 2024, 20:31

Smithy

Good evening all. I fitted a new exhaust manifold gasket at the weekend and while I was taking it for a test drive I had an engine code appear. Looking at the engine bay I realised that I hadn't reconnected one O2 censor. What's the best way to clear it without a code reader or is that the only way?
Thanks all
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

tomato

Can unplug battery, leave for 15 mins or so,check battery drained by pressing horn.

Reconnect ecu will reset I believe

Topdownman

As said above, disconnecting the battery will do it, the car will then relearn the settings over the next few miles of driving (10-30 miles?).

Equally, if you have corrected the fault, the car should detect this as you drive and I imagine the code would disappear once the ecu detects the sensor again.

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

paulj

I think the Car Scanner app on android will reset ECU as part of the free of charge offering.  I know you said you haven't got a reader, but a cheapy OBD reader is less than £10 and the app is free.  I keep the reader in the glove box and my phone is with me so always ready for any pesky codes.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Smithy

Battery disconnect for 30mins did the job. Thanks everyone.pailj I will definitely look into an obd scanner to work with the phone app.
Thanks again everyone
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Chilli Girl

Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Tags: