'Brrrr' noise from engine at low revs ..

Started by BenF, February 21, 2006, 00:07

BenF

OK, not found anything by searching - but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and knows the cause ...

My Roadster has always made a resonating 'Brrr' noise between 1,200 and 1,500 rpms - typically if you're pulling away in 1st from a junction, or in slow traffic in a taller gear. At higher revs (where I ususally drive the car) there's no problem.

I first thought it was a part of the exhuast system, and that he turbo conversion could sort it out - but it was still there.

I've grabbed a sound clip of the noise, as I was pulling away in 2nd at low speed  and low engine load - you can hear the noise in the first 1/3rd of the clip.

MP3 clip of noise

Chatting to folks at JAE last year one of the ideas of a possible cause was apparently the serpentine belt tensioner - does the above clip this sound like it?
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

kanujunkie

sorry Ben thats way too shorter clip to tell  s:? :? s:?  . I cant find the link either but if it is the serpentine belt then Liz had this problem and has a video with sound, try pming her
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

MR-S Turbo

I have a similar noise at about that rev range.  Still havent found out what it is.  Ive always thought it was a heat sheild somewhere.
TRD 2000GT - 500BHP ish

red_leicester

Quote from: "kanujunkie"sorry Ben thats way too shorter clip to tell  s:? :? s:?  . I cant find the link either but if it is the serpentine belt then Liz had this problem and has a video with sound, try pming her

Ben, check a recent thread I started called "Rattley sound... am I being paranoid?" (the answer is no, by the way   s:D :D s:D  )  There's a couple of movie clips linked to it of the problem I had which was the serpentine (accessory) drive belt tensioner.  At least this may help you to eliminate it is yours isn't like mine was.

Cheers,Jez
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

I get a similar noise at certain rev's it sounds like a heat shield but from the front, I'll probably have a look when the weather gets a bit better  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

this is the one red_leciester's talking about

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... +tensioner m
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Hi Ben, is it the higher pitched squealing sound at the start you're talking about?  
I get the same but only after about one hours driving (end of the commute   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   ) when pulling away from junctions etc.  
First panic was the clutch was on the way out but conducting some very unscientific tests involving rpm/mph matching under load I say the clutch isn't slipping.
I reckon it is the belt tensioner but it would be good to know for sure

BenF

Cheers for the replies... had a listen to the rattly engine sounds and mine doesn't sound like that (!)

My update is this : My local MrT (Toyota Ipswich) has come up trumps  s:) :) s:)

I took the car in to them for a service (needs to be done for the warranty, but I would do it myself normally..) and as part of that I asked if they could have a look at the noise. It doesn't really bother me that much, but if it was easy to sort ..

Their Diagnosis : The Serpentine belt tensioner needs replacing, and the tensioner for the timing chain need replacing, and was leaking a little oil.

The Bonus: Before I took it in to them, I chatted to them about the  turbo conversion, the car's warranty, and how the conversion may affect it.

For this work, as it isn't related to the turbo conversion they've proposed to cover off it under the car's warranty which is a fantastic result.

So in a couple of weeks time when I've got the car back to them hopefully this should be sorted ..
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

red_leicester

If the car's still under warranty surely the tensioner replacement should be done regardless of any proposed turbo conversion? Or am I misunderstanding what's being said ?
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

BenF

Quote from: "red_leicester"If the car's still under warranty surely the tensioner replacement should be done regardless of any proposed turbo conversion? Or am I misunderstanding what's being said ?

The turbo conversion has already been done a few months back - so technically they could argue the toss as to if that had invalidated the warranty  relating to the engine and associated parts.

When I bought the car it was a 'standard' UK Spec 03 car, it itsn't exactly standard now  s;) ;) s;)

Slacey

I'ts good that you got a result Ben - it's also good to see a reasonable dealer too. BTW - check the restrictions on avatar size - don't make me delete it, this isn't IMOC you know!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tags: