This looks wrong to me

Started by Anonymous, February 25, 2006, 13:16

Anonymous

Surely this is missing a good chunk of its cat ???

Off to check the main cat now  s:( :( s:(

Two's Company

Oh dear looks like half of it is missing!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

spit

Blimey  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Looks like your rough engine diagnosis was spot on matey. Glad you seem to have caught this before bits got sucked north.

Are the upper surfaces intact? (I'm guessing they won't be for long  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )  

Happy bashing!

Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

They are nice and pre cat free at the moment  s:) :) s:)

The only trouble I have now is getting the main cat off and drilling out the two bolts that sheared. One on the head and one one the main cat. Main cat is not a prob but I'm not to keen on the head one.

Any way need to get main cat off as that debris must have gone some where and at the mo I'm having a wrestle with the rubber hangers.

Some one send me some new arms   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Concerned that the main cat is now a pile of rubbish as I cannot locate any rubble.

How much is a main cat ? And does anyone out there have one if needed ??

There goes this years bonus  s:( :( s:(

Tem

It would be a LOT easier to follow this, if you didn't start a new thread all the time.  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Beastie"Concerned that the main cat is now a pile of rubbish as I cannot locate any rubble.

How much is a main cat ? And does anyone out there have one if needed ??

There goes this years bonus  s:( :( s:(

Looks like I have the same problem.  I removed the manifold to find only one precat brick left....  I removed the main cat only to find a small anount of brick left.
I have a feeling someone has been here before and the (single) precat brick has already been removed.  I think the debris may be from the main cat.
Just to top things off, MrT parts shut at 1pm.

Tem

Quote from: "jamesgod"I removed the manifold to find only one precat brick left....  I removed the main cat only to find a small anount of brick left.
I have a feeling someone has been here before and the (single) precat brick has already been removed.  I think the debris may be from the main cat.

The precat probably doesn't break off as one big piece. If it did, it wouldn't even have the space to go anywhere, not to block the main cat, nor into the cylinders. I think it breaks off in little pieces, which block the main cat by going in the cells.  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "jamesgod"I removed the manifold to find only one precat brick left....  I removed the main cat only to find a small anount of brick left.

The precat probably doesn't break off as one big piece. If it did, it wouldn't even have the space to go anywhere, not to block the main cat, nor into the cylinders. I think it breaks off in little pieces, which block the main cat by going in the cells.  s:? :? s:?

I think this may be the case.  Just to test it out I tried filling the main cat with water (I did remove it first!).  I would have expected the water to flow freely through the brick, but it trickled out.
I think this is described in the trade as "Possibly Has Unknown Component Defects" PHUCD!
I will post the costs for main cat when I speak to main dealer on Monday.
My car is 5 years old has done 53K.  In theory MrT should still cover part as 'Good will', but seeing as I repaired it myself they would just say that I broke it.
If anyone knows where I can get a main cat cheaper than main dealer I would appreciate the info.
Fingers crossed that I haven't done any cylinder damage!

Peter Wright

You only need the Cat for the MOT, make a down pipe up for the moment and keep an eye out on eBay or scrap yards for a Cat ready for your next MOT (it will be slightly noisier but keep your foot off the throttle and you will notice no difference)
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Tem

Adam (Jap GT300) might have used cats for a good price, PM him.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Wright"You only need the Cat for the MOT, make a down pipe up for the moment and keep an eye out on eBay or scrap yards for a Cat ready for your next MOT (it will be slightly noisier but keep your foot off the throttle and you will notice no difference)
Pete

Will this not cause Cel ?

(off topic) where in Romford are you James ?

markiii

on no J-spec cars  yes it will cause a cel
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Peter Wright

There is a Cat on eBay
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-S-ROAD ... dZViewItem m
Or you can borrow mine untill my next MOT or untill you find one at a reasonable price
I think from Toyota they are over £600
Yes it will cause a cel on uk models but will not affect the performance
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

spit

Quote from: "Peter Wright"There is a Cat on eBay .....
Ah, the infamous Caroline  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I've got a Cat sitting in the garage. It won't win any concourse prizes but it does work. J-spec though....
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tem

Quote from: "Peter Wright"I think from Toyota they are over £600

Sounds about right, they are $1036 in US.

Anonymous

Just been having a look around for average prices and fell upon MRS Passions PPE Header + Hi Flo cat which although approx £575 + shipping etc might make some good from the situation.

Looks like the cat has a sensor socket on the ppe site but the question I would ask is will it pass an MOT

kanujunkie

and i'll have one available from 7th April, bit of a way off i know  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

If only it was a little sooner you could have had a sale   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I take it did pass the MOT then

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Beastie"If only it was a little sooner you could have had a sale   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I take it did pass the MOT then

dont know, never had one, it was changed because of corrosion on the heatshields, i was planning on making a de-cat pipe with it
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"
Quote from: "Peter Wright"There is a Cat on eBay .....
Ah, the infamous Caroline  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I've got a Cat sitting in the garage. It won't win any concourse prizes but it does work. J-spec though....

Is there some history there as I am probably about to take her/him or it up on the parts.

It has come from a four year old car so it can't be any worse than mine. Famous last words   s:D :D s:D

so.simple

Why don't you guys write a letter to Toyota demanding new cats? I did that in Portugal with success. After me, a couple other MR2 owners have done it as well. We have had our pre-cats gutted and main cats swapped at no cost.
Carlos

Anonymous

I have just had a quote from local Toyota parts and the cost of the main cat is £694 + VAT (£814).  Plus all the gaskets and studs that snaped off.
I feel a letter coming on.

Anonymous

Quote from: "jamesgod"I have just had a quote from local Toyota parts and the cost of the main cat is £694 + VAT (£814).  Plus all the gaskets and studs that snaped off.

EEK   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I only managed to snap one stud. One on each manifold that is   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  . Spent more time dremelling and drilling than spannering.

The letter may be an option but do we have to go through an official dealer so that it is recorded in some way or just fire one off to Toyota GB ?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Beastie"
Quote from: "jamesgod"I have just had a quote from local Toyota parts and the cost of the main cat is £694 + VAT (£814).  Plus all the gaskets and studs that snaped off.

EEK   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I only managed to snap one stud. One on each manifold that is   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  . Spent more time dremelling and drilling than spannering.

The letter may be an option but do we have to go through an official dealer so that it is recorded in some way or just fire one off to Toyota GB ?

Bit of an update.  A bit of haggling later and MrT decided that with a discount he can supply the Main Cat for £552.21.

However, i'm investigating another route.  It appears that Timax (ArvinMeritor) make a direct replacement with either a ceramic or steel monolith.  The latter being a bit more expensive but has a 4 year warranty.  I will update when I get a quote.

Tags: