This looks wrong to me

Started by Anonymous, February 25, 2006, 13:16

spit

Good bit of haggling and scouting James. Hope you get sorted.

Quote from: "Beastie"
Quote from: "spit"
Quote from: "Peter Wright"There is a Cat on eBay .....
Ah, the infamous Caroline  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
I've got a Cat sitting in the garage. It won't win any concourse prizes but it does work. J-spec though....

Is there some history there as I am probably about to take her/him or it up on the parts.

It has come from a four year old car so it can't be any worse than mine. Famous last words   s:D :D s:D

Soz Beastie - only just seen your question (Doh!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

This EBayer started breaking a '2 for parts a few months ago and was not an easy person to deal with - no descriptions, no facts and a slightly confrontational attitude when it came to answering questions. The consensus at the time was that it was a wind-up.

Have to say though, that her ad carries some more detail now and the feedback suggests she is finally selling bits successfully.

Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

I'm hoping your right Spit as this should be on its way to me soon

Looks a damn site cleaner than mine as well

Tem

Quote from: "Beastie"I'm hoping your right Spit as this should be on its way to me soon

Looks a damn site cleaner than mine as well

Is it just me, or has that been painted?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

it has, which begs teh question why?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

Well at least you have a picture so you know it exists  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I'm guessing she has painted all the rusty-looking stuff to enhance the value, nothing more.

Beastie: Worth a trip to MrT to get the 2x manifold-cat gaskets and the cat-silencer crush gasket. Details in this thread Clicky

Don't dwell on the prices in the pic - I think they're in dollars  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  But do take your wallet, a stiff drink and someone to catch you when you faint  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

I just bought an electric aerial from "Caroline" also which was delivered in a few days, got it on Saturday and I'm still building up the courage to try and fit this myself.

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"Well at least you have a picture so you know it exists  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I'm guessing she has painted all the rusty-looking stuff to enhance the value, nothing more.

Beastie: Worth a trip to MrT to get the 2x manifold-cat gaskets and the cat-silencer crush gasket. Details in this thread Clicky

Don't dwell on the prices in the pic - I think they're in dollars  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  But do take your wallet, a stiff drink and someone to catch you when you faint  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Ste

I think two stiff drinks are a requirement as I have already bought the manifold gaskets and for what is basically a copper crush gasket they are not cheap. Now I have one for a size reference I shall visit the local car parts shop and have a look through there gaskets.

so.simple

I'd write directly to toyota GB. I'd attach a few photos of the pre-cats and a link to a page from spyderchat (just not to involve MR2ROC) where they list some of the pre-cat failures they've had. A main cat is supposed to last at least 10 years. They are not getting knackered because you use them incorrectly. They get knackered because the pre-cats break up. I'd complain.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Carlos

roger

Just out of interest I saw an H&S advert yesterday (think it was J-Tuner, but not sure) where they were advertising a down-pipe with a 100 cell cat in it sufficient to cope with MOT demands and a loss of only 2BHP.

Definitely not for an MR2, but since they do the MR2 exhaust, they might be able to help. No pricing though.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

OK.  Got a reply about a direct replacement part.  You can find the company on (Note: the MR2 Roadster option is not priced on site):
 w www.autospares-group.co.uk w
They have a local supplier and can deliver them in a couple of days for £266.95 + VAT (£313.68). I think delivery is £5.50.
Thants £240 cheaper than MrT and it comes with a '2 year warranty'.

Anonymous

Hats off to you James you are the web search guru by the looks of it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Well the cat has turned up and serves me right for not asking its not a uk version as theres no O2 sensor hole.

Question is will I be ok to run without the sensor whilst I remedy the situation or is it going to cause an engine management issue ?

I suppose I could weld a suitable large nut on there instead.

markiii

lathe nut is teh way to go, yes you can run fine without it for  a while but you will have a CEL
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Beastie"Well the cat has turned up and serves me right for not asking its not a uk version as theres no O2 sensor hole.

Question is will I be ok to run without the sensor whilst I remedy the situation or is it going to cause an engine management issue ?

I suppose I could weld a suitable large nut on there instead.

you'll need to trick the ECU into thinking theres an O2 sensor there, instructions for doing that are on here somewhere  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

trust me teh nut is easier by far

Anonymous

Cannot locate an 18mm 1.25 pitch nut anywhere !!!

A m8 is going off to check a Jap bike breakers for me but is the removing the O2 sensor from the system that much of a chore as Markiii seems to imply

markiii

Speak to H&S or any good exhaust oulet, I an sorted me out with a bolt in that size so should be able to find you a not

your so close he'll probably weld it on for you as well.

Anonymous

Cheers for that Mark its about time I got down there.

Cat is now on and missing the O2 sensor how long before I should see a Cel. I have read a couple of posts that seem to imply that after the 3rd or 4th power cycle and I'm on about my 7th now.

Engine still a little slow picking up revs but no where near as bad as before apart from the MAF which I have cleaned (slightly dirty) and a ecu reset what else can I look for. Already swapped plugs, air filter, oil & checked for general loose pipes etc. I realise the MAF could be faulty are these expensive to change ?

edward.carter

£100 from toyota

Anonymous

Ok I would like to recind my previous statement as it is running just as bad as it was before, didn't really notice until the long run to work this morning. Looks like it wasn't the cat after all - just as well it made me clean out the precats though.

James if you have not sorted your cat out yet theres one here.

I still need to locate the issue as I am loathe to give in now and pass it to mr T to sort out.

Everything about it makes me lean towards fueling or rather the lack of delivery as the car starts first time an idles v smoothly. Going to check over everything again including all vacuum pipes, fuel pipes and maybe even clean out the injectors if it comes to it.

Can someone tell me where the fuel filter is on these as I have not located it yet ?

Tem

Quote from: "Beastie"Can someone tell me where the fuel filter is on these as I have not located it yet ?

We don't have one.

(there's one inside the tank though, but you shouldn't need to change that)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Beastie"Can someone tell me where the fuel filter is on these as I have not located it yet ?

We don't have one.

(there's one inside the tank though, but you shouldn't need to change that)

Thanks Tem - thats probably why I havn't found it yet  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

OK.  I took the plunge and bought the 'direct replacement cat' for £320 including VAT and delivery.  It arrived on my doorstep 2 days later.
I took some photos straight away in case anyone else is contemplating taking the plunge.
As far as I can tell the tubing (including bendy bits) are all stainless steel and the fit is perfect.  The MrT 'crush' gasket slipped straight on and the whole thing slotted straight in.
I didn't weigh it but without the excesive heat shielding it also seemed lighter than the original.

Camparison of original cat to pattern one (Click to enlarge):

Comparison of the 'Cat to Backbox' bracket (Click to enlarge):

Comparison of the 'Cat to Manifold' bracket (Click to enlarge):

Rather subtle 'disclaimer'... (Click to enlarge):

I followed the 'subtle' instructions,  started the engine and watched my vehicle go up in a ball of smoke.  Luckily it was just the WD40 burning off.
I took the car for a 'leisurely' drive and hey presto to CEL (MIL) popped on.  "GREAT!"  (Spelt with an "F")
I traced the fault to the downstream Lambda Sensor (HEGO) and found that the Heater in the sensor was broken.  I don't know whether this was the root cause of this whole mess or I broke it removing/refitting it.
Anyhow.  I have a new Lambda sensor on it's way (For £14.99 from ebay it's worth a try) and I will report back once it's done.
If every thing is ok, then I will get the car gas tested at my local MOT station.  Firstly, for piece of mind and secondly, so I can compare the results from the last test and let people know whether it's any good.
Fingers crossed.

Anonymous

James by the looks of it you could had a new Lambda sensor from the same place you got the cat from for £25 but hopefully your ebay one see's your car fixed and sorted.

I think I have whittled my problem down to the injectors but won't be able to check until friday. Any one have a spare set of injectors I can buy, borrow or lease for a day  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Looks like MR T is going to win this one as I just cannot locate the issue

I have checked, cleaned or replaced the following

Air filter (Replaced)
Maf(cleaned) With a good few squirts of MAF freindly cleaner up the intake
Plugs (replaced)
Coils (replaced)
Injectors (replaced) one seal found to be squashed but still sealing - new one tomorrow
Checked for intake leaks before and after MAF
Checked and swapped O2 sensors

Symptoms are : Feels flat and harsh upto 4000 revs and not to willing to go further although it will (don't want to push it). Eninge idles fine and starts 1st time. Other than replacing the MAF which I believe are about £100 (can anyone confirm this) I cannot think of anything else except for fuel pressure and VVT being knackered and as I have no means of testing this I'm scuppered.

Any ideas anyone

Tags: